2013 Applicants: Post Your Work

DrwMnml

So far I'm applying to USC, VCU, Stanford and Tulane. Would love to hear any suggestions folks might have.

www.patchsomerville.com

There is some very nice painting going on there, but I have a little problem with the subject matter. Which is to say, it just seems incidental. It's hard to keep landscapes from being cliche.

I would suggest you cast a broader net if you're really serious about an MFA. Those first three schools are highly competitive. You need some lower tier options. I know nothing about Tulane's program; what's the attraction there?

You have plenty of schools on your list--I don't think FIU and UNLV are needed. UNLV is a mess, and has been for years. They're hiring FOUR new faculty members this year. Not new lines--replacements. Lots of upheaval. They do have some nice grad studios, although their main building is horrible (unless they've gotten money for a new building in just the past few years). FIU is a very young program, and the department also has a checkered past. Depends on whether you want to deal with Miami. If you want to apply to Rutgers, go right ahead. What's to lose, other than an application fee? It's like the lottery--you turn in your entries and hope for a prize (the prize being full funding).

Very helpful, as always. I have since eliminated both schools from my list. And as for Rutgers, I feel like I have enough reaches on my list at this point, so I'm not even going to bother. Thanks, again.

There is some very nice painting going on there, but I have a little problem with the subject matter. Which is to say, it just seems incidental. It's hard to keep landscapes from being cliche.

I would suggest you cast a broader net if you're really serious about an MFA. Those first three schools are highly competitive. You need some lower tier options. I know nothing about Tulane's program; what's the attraction there?

Thanks for the response. The "landscapes" that I'll include in my portfolio are recreations of views from windows with paper cut to the size of the window's individual panes. My images fail to describe scale, as well as the relationship between the painted paper and the wall; both important aspects of the work. I should really include some installation shots but I hate to use multiple spaces in the portfolio on one piece.

Tulane's appeal is mostly about location and funding but I'm also excited about some of the faculty and students. I have added UNO to the list and am also applying to a few residencies. I'm not so serious about the MFA that I'm willing to go anywhere. I am more interested in specific programs and places and wouldn't mind doing residencies until I get into a school that I'm excited about.

Thanks for the response. The "landscapes" that I'll include in my portfolio are recreations of views from windows with paper cut to the size of the window's individual panes. My images fail to describe scale, as well as the relationship between the painted paper and the wall; both important aspects of the work. I should really include some installation shots but I hate to use multiple spaces in the portfolio on one piece.

Tulane's appeal is mostly about location and funding but I'm also excited about some of the faculty and students. I have added UNO to the list and am also applying to a few residencies. I'm not so serious about the MFA that I'm willing to go anywhere. I am more interested in specific programs and places and wouldn't mind doing residencies until I get into a school that I'm excited about.

Oh, OK.  Then you have lots of options.  My main piece of advice to you would be--don't let being excited about a program lead you to paying a bunch of tuition.  Be sure to go for the best financial aid package.  That initial excitement will fade for sure, but the debt will not.  Go for the best financial aid package at the best program you can get into.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.behance.net/gallery/Graduate-School-Portfolio/6488845

I'm applying to a few schools for an MFA in graphic design. I come from a studio arts bfa that I will complete this semester. The work in the portfolio is largely done outside of my studio practice for school as I felt the large scale collage I do didn't really seem pertinent to my intent and as material for a design portfolio, but I'm still on the fence about this.

I would say that Francis Bacon dealt with some of the existential-like issues you're interested in. If you're feeling up against a wall, I may suggest reading, or look to something outside of the visual arts. Maybe you should read some Camus if you want to think about hopeless situations, or Marx, as he dealt with the anxiety and disengagement of the working people in the face of capitalism. Much of the impetus for my own work has come from literature, film, and personal experience.

Beware of using art historical terms in ways that they shouldn't be used. Expressionism is specific to the modernist movement at the beginning of the 20th century. If you explain what you're trying to do without using heavily loaded (and sometimes incorrect) terms, I think you'll find yourself not getting into any trouble and if anything, being more succinct.

I agree with TheStranger that some of your earlier work does have that undergraduate feel. But no worries, just keep painting! Based on the progression of your newer work, it looks like if you keep working, something great will explode. Remember, work comes from work. Over the summer a friend posted a great quote by Chuck Close in our shared studio space:

“The advice I like to give young artists, or really anybody who'll listen to me, is not to wait around for inspiration. Inspiration is for amateurs; the rest of us just show up and get to work. If you wait around for the clouds to part and a bolt of lightning to strike you in the brain, you are not going to make an awful lot of work. All the best ideas come out of the process; they come out of the work itself. Things occur to you. If you're sitting around trying to dream up a great art idea, you can sit there a long time before anything happens. But if you just get to work, something will occur to you and something else will occur to you and something else that you reject will push you in another direction. Inspiration is absolutely unnecessary and somehow deceptive. You feel like you need this great idea before you can get down to work, and I find that's almost never the case.”

-Chuck Close

This is a great quote!!! I am totally inspired now (being so completely UNINSPIRED at the moment!!!) Thank you!

Josholas, its nice to see your development this year from last, its definitely an advancement and you can tell you are thinking critically about your concepts. Idk what kind of feedback you are looking for specifically, where are you applying? 

I just popped into this thread to say that I envy you visual artists. You get to post your portfolios willy-nilly and get feedback.

Check out the acceptance rates and you'll probably be less envious. :) But you're right, it is certainly an advantage.

On 1/8/2013 at 11:24 PM, brown06 said:

Josholas, its nice to see your development this year from last, its definitely an advancement and you can tell you are thinking critically about your concepts. Idk what kind of feedback you are looking for specifically, where are you applying?

Thanks! I'm primarily looking for feedback regarding the likelihood of grad school acceptances, but I'm always interested in knowing what's working and what isn't, on a conceptual and technical level with my work.

I'm applying to:

UC Davis

U Oregon

WashU

West Virginia U

Arizona State

U Iowa

Virginia Commonwealth

U Georgia

Herron (Indiana/Purdue)

Southern Illinois

Looking especially for programs that value interdepartmental collaboration, teaching opportunities (instructor of record), and positive social change or environmental interests. Oh, and FUNDING, haha!

So, here's my portfolio: www.alexjacque.com

I've been I'm only applying to a few schools, as my fallback is continuing working as a web designer:

• Yale (MFA Graphic Design)
  • RISD (MFA Graphic Design)
  • MICA (MFA Graphic Design)
  • MIT - Media Lab (MS)

ie. "only a couple of schools with high standards, so don't expect the world, buddy."  I was going to apply to UMich's MFA program (hello fully funded) since I'm very familiar with the program, faculty, and staff (and currently work in the building), but of course they're taking the year off from incoming graduate students as the new Dean and faculty try to restructure the program, so that idea got nixed right quick.

I'm hoping the interdisciplinary-yet-design-focused aspect of my work gets the attention of the admissions committees.

Well, that's reassuring to hear!

As for the lightmeter app, it's not on the store yet, it's still in development.  It's about 90% done, the UI is done and works*, there's just a bit of logic to put in and that's it.  Hopefully I'll have it in review by the end of the month.  I'll start the real work on the hardware dongle component shortly thereafter.

*The hard part.  UIPickerViews are not really customizable so I had to recreate it all that functionality using UITableViews, which was a whole process.

I'm embarrassed to say I don't currrently have a website, took mine down a year ago or so. Just made a quick tumblr page with my work for feed from ya'll. Any criticism is accepted and appreciated. Keeping my expectations and hopes low for getting into a program, also applying to residencies. There are two pages of work, with the next link at the very bottom of the page. What I included were only pictures I submitted for my portfolio. I just recently realized I should've taken some close ups of the resin with the bees, but I didn't think of it. 

http://crisschayer.tumblr.com/

I'm embarrassed to say I don't currrently have a website, took mine down a year ago or so. Just made a quick tumblr page with my work for feed from ya'll. Any criticism is accepted and appreciated. Keeping my expectations and hopes low for getting into a program, also applying to residencies. There are two pages of work, with the next link at the very bottom of the page. What I included were only pictures I submitted for my portfolio. I just recently realized I should've taken some close ups of the resin with the bees, but I didn't think of it.

http://crisschayer.tumblr.com/

Very visceral. It certainly makes me feel something in the pit of my stomach...which I generallly see as a very good thing. Where did you get your undergrad degree?

Thanks! I used to be so confident in my work, but I recently graduated in fall 2011 and moved up near boston in 2012 to begin preparing for grad school and I guess the 8+ months art free sort of left me very insecure about my work. Lost most of my work in the process of moving and just recently got started  in November working on art again. I went to Southeastern Louisiana University and received a B.A.. It's not a big school, but their art program is accredited. 

Edited by ArsenicYellow