Developmental Psychology Fall 2013 Applicants

ChitownSVL

Hi all~  I have been lurking on the boards for awhile but I thought I'd join in on the fun.  I applied to a couple developmental psych and human development programs and so far have one interview which I am super excited for!!  Still impatiently awaiting ANY information from the other schools.  

When I check on my application status, the website says "in review" so I guess that's better than "rejected" ? 

How do you see that? I can't see anything except that I completed the application.

How do you see that? I can't see anything except that I completed the application.

I click the "check status of your graduate application" link on the psych application page, then log in, scroll down and then go to application status. Then a new page pops up and you can see your status and all the application materials they have, if you click that option.

Hi All!  I only applied to 4 schools, all in NYC, so I'm going to be less help.  But I just got an email a few days ago inviting me to an interview and meet-and-greet day at Fordham on Feb 8th.  Anyone else be there?  

Haven't heard anything from NYU Steinhardt, Columbia TC, or CUNY.  

Update: Got an email from my primary POI, inviting me to have a phone "chat", which I assume is code for interview before the visiting weekend on Feb 8th.  Yippee!  Too bad I have the flu this week.  I told her I'd be happy to talk with her this week since I'll be off work for the flu. Hope that doesn't scare her off from wanting me meet with me in 2 weeks!

It's been a weird day.  The weather thinks it's April, I woke up with my roommate's dog in my closed room (she definitely wasn't in there when I went to sleep), and I've heard from two more programs.

I just got rejected from Michigan-- which accepted about 30 people to the department-- with an impersonal email saying top applicants were selected based on goodness of fit.  I thought I was a really good fit with the program, and am even involved at my lab in a collaborative project with the POI I'd applied to work under.  I would've loved to go there!  I'm guessing my gpa scared them off.  I wish rejections would come with personalized constructive criticism, and I'm simultaneously frustrated with myself for being this neurotic.

I also read an email sent to me yesterday from U Minn saying that I'm not accepted, but I'm being designated as an 'alternate'.  (They've accepted 5 students this year, in case anyone's interested.)  They suggested that if I'm extra interested in their program, that I call them before committing myself elsewhere, and in that case they'll "make me an offer if they are able".   Problematically, I'm not totally clear on how interested I am in working with a POI I never met or interviewed with.  In theory I'd LOVE to go there, but it seems impractical to badly want to work with someone you've literally never spoken to over people you've corresponded extensively with.  I called them to ask about this, and they gave me a current graduate student's email so that I could ask her about the program, so that's my next step.

This is all very confusing.

I also read an email sent to me yesterday from U Minn saying that I'm not accepted, but I'm being designated as an 'alternate'.  (They've accepted 5 students this year, in case anyone's interested.)  They suggested that if I'm extra interested in their program, that I call them before committing myself elsewhere, and in that case they'll "make me an offer if they are able".   Problematically, I'm not totally clear on how interested I am in working with a POI I never met or interviewed with.  In theory I'd LOVE to go there, but it seems impractical to badly want to work with someone you've literally never spoken to over people you've corresponded extensively with.  I called them to ask about this, and they gave me a current graduate student's email so that I could ask her about the program, so that's my next step.

What program at Minnesota? I applied to the Child Psych program but it's through the school of Ed so I'm never sure where to look for for updates. My application there says "final review" which seems like it should be a good sign? 

What program at Minnesota? I applied to the Child Psych program but it's through the school of Ed so I'm never sure where to look for for updates. My application there says "final review" which seems like it should be a good sign? 

Yep, it's the Child Psych program.   My application status, according to the website, is "Awaiting Program Decision".  I don't know what it means if you're in "final review", but hopefully you're in luck!

Yep, it's the Child Psych program.   My application status, according to the website, is "Awaiting Program Decision".  I don't know what it means if you're in "final review", but hopefully you're in luck!

Ahh thanks! Now it says "Decision made" but that I must wait a full business day to see the decision. Officially freaking out now. Though I'm guessing I would have gotten an email from my POI if I had gotten in? Congrats on being an alternate though, that's still pretty amazing!

Though I'm guessing I would have gotten an email from my POI if I had gotten in? Congrats on being an alternate though, that's still pretty amazing!

Well, I never got any sort of email from my POI either, so who knows what it means?  And thanks!  Despite my confusion I'm pretty excited about it.

I've been waitlisted at UVA.  "Yours was one of a number of terrific applications we received for an unfortunately very small number of openings."  Hopefully things turn around for me!

Congrats!!! I'm sure it's a bit frustrating to have two waitlist situations, but if it were me I would see that as proof I am a good candidate with something that is catching their eye. We shouldn't forget that there is a certain amount of luck in this process having to do with how much funding a school has, who else applied this goaround, if the PI we want to work with has greater influence in the admission process relative to other faculty in the program, etc. On that last, I think it can change year to year, depending on when someone took students last and other factors we can only imagine. 

So even if you don't get officially admitted this time, the fact that two schools see potential in you is a great sign for next year. And of course there is still time for you to get in this round, so I am sending you good vibes!

Congrats!!! I'm sure it's a bit frustrating to have two waitlist situations, but if it were me I would see that as proof I am a good candidate with something that is catching their eye. We shouldn't forget that there is a certain amount of luck in this process having to do with how much funding a school has, who else applied this goaround, if the PI we want to work with has greater influence in the admission process relative to other faculty in the program, etc. On that last, I think it can change year to year, depending on when someone took students last and other factors we can only imagine. 

So even if you don't get officially admitted this time, the fact that two schools see potential in you is a great sign for next year. And of course there is still time for you to get in this round, so I am sending you good vibes!

Thank you, that is very sweet and encouraging.  I don't feel overly stressed about it, because I know at least I have two solid implied acceptances, so I'm not without options.  I think the only thing I'm still struggling with is the thought that I'll get off a waitlist, but because I never got the chance to interview and learn about the program from people in it, I'll be in a bad position to make a decision about what's best for me.  I've contacted both programs to try and set something like that up, but so far I haven't gotten to phone or Skype with a POI.

Has anyone gotten experience (firsthand or otherwise) with getting off a waitlist?  Do they normally try catch you up and fill you in, or are you left to make a decision relatively in the dark?