Developmental Psychology Fall 2013 Applicants

ChitownSVL

Well, I got a "sortof" acceptance yesterday. My POI from Columbia TC called me (what I thought was going to be a phone interview...it was not) and let me know that she thinks I would be a better fit for the Masters program that they have there, and then move into the PhD program after that.  

I've heard things from past graduate students, about Columbia being a bit notorious for taking a tons of applicants to the Masters program, not funding anyone, and then never moving them on to the PhD.  I'm a little skeptical.  I'm also simply NOT in a position to attend an unfunded Masters program in NYC.

So what should I do?  Should I email her back with all the reasons that I'd be a FANTASTIC PhD candidate, in hopes of changing her mind?  Do I try my darndest to get funding for this Masters?  Do I give it up, and just wait to hear back from my other applications?

Ahh thanks! Now it says "Decision made" but that I must wait a full business day to see the decision. Officially freaking out now. Though I'm guessing I would have gotten an email from my POI if I had gotten in? Congrats on being an alternate though, that's still pretty amazing!

FYI in case you haven't heard anything -- I received a phone call when I was accepted (1/16)

FYI in case you haven't heard anything -- I received a phone call when I was accepted (1/16)

Oh thanks but I was rejected. I'm okay with it though because I have gotten into a couple other amazing programs and have another interview coming up! Congrats to you though!

Oh thanks but I was rejected. I'm okay with it though because I have gotten into a couple other amazing programs and have another interview coming up! Congrats to you though!

Ah, sorry -- didn't mean to rub salt in the wound! Congrats on your acceptances!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got a "sortof" acceptance yesterday. My POI from Columbia TC called me (what I thought was going to be a phone interview...it was not) and let me know that she thinks I would be a better fit for the Masters program that they have there, and then move into the PhD program after that.  

I've heard things from past graduate students, about Columbia being a bit notorious for taking a tons of applicants to the Masters program, not funding anyone, and then never moving them on to the PhD.  I'm a little skeptical.  I'm also simply NOT in a position to attend an unfunded Masters program in NYC.

This is the exact same thing that happened to me. I know I should feel excited about any acceptance, but it feels like I'm getting hustled. I've never considered a masters program and I know nothing about funding. It seems like they are just taking all applicants for the MA programs because we would have to pay a significant amount to be there. I too am not in a position to move to NYC for an unfunded program.

Has anybody accepted this type of offer and discovered some magical source of money?

Heard from University of Illinois UC and got rejected! Heard from Uchicago for HD and got rejected!!!!! yayyyyyy!
Waiting for TC masters.....

Edited by sharanya89

I've been waitlisted at UVA.  "Yours was one of a number of terrific applications we received for an unfortunately very small number of openings."  Hopefully things turn around for me!

Looks like things did turn around for you, Harvard!

Looks like things did turn around for you, Harvard!

Nope, that wasn't me!  That's ok, I just got back from my recruitment weekend at Santa Cruz and thought it was fantastic.  I'm not without good options. :)

Nope, that wasn't me!  That's ok, I just got back from my recruitment weekend at Santa Cruz and thought it was fantastic.  I'm not without good options. :)

Oh sorry, I misinterpreted the green in your signature as an acceptance, not an interview. But that is awesome anyway :)

I'm kind of having a weird dilemma which I will feel better about after typing it out.  I saw on the results page that a lot of Psychology applicants found out they got rejected from Rochester by getting an e-mail to check the website.  My POI told me after interviews that they (as in the POI not the department) decided not to accept any graduate students so I clearly saw that as a rejection, but I have got no such e-mail and when I check the website I can't see any information about the admission decision.  Anyone else apply to Rochester and find their decision on the website?  If so, where did you see it?  I'm still assuming I got rejected, it would be nice to have the closure though in the form of a letter. 

I'm probably thinking about this too much ~_~

I'm kind of having a weird dilemma which I will feel better about after typing it out.  I saw on the results page that a lot of Psychology applicants found out they got rejected from Rochester by getting an e-mail to check the website.  My POI told me after interviews that they (as in the POI not the department) decided not to accept any graduate students so I clearly saw that as a rejection, but I have got no such e-mail and when I check the website I can't see any information about the admission decision.  Anyone else apply to Rochester and find their decision on the website?  If so, where did you see it?  I'm still assuming I got rejected, it would be nice to have the closure though in the form of a letter. 

I'm probably thinking about this too much ~_~

Is it possible that you're wait-listed and that someone else at Rochester might have considered supervising you? 

I'm interviewing in BCS next weekend, which feels incredibly far off still...

Is it possible that you're wait-listed and that someone else at Rochester might have considered supervising you? 

I'm interviewing in BCS next weekend, which feels incredibly far off still...

That was what I was thinking...it would be nice to know though.  And good luck with your interview!

Got accepted to CUNY today, with a 5-year fellowship. Definitely my "backup" choice (not THAT close to what I actually want to study).....but still nice to get accepted somewhere with some money :-)

Still waiting to hear anything from Fordham, and still waiting to hear about the wait list at NYU Stienhardt. 

Hi, I got the admissions letter today via postal mail from SFSU and the school wants me to reply to the letter via postal mail. This school...... the application process is so old-fashioned.. I had to receive the recommendation letters and the financial statement from my country (I'm an international student but I currently live in the states, so I had to ask my friends and my mom to deliever the letters to me lol) via postal mail, and then I sent them to the two addresses at the school separately. I will decline to this offer, but I'm wondering that I really have to send it via postal mail. (of course I may have to pay for it... -_-).... What do you think? :wacko:

Edited by BayareaPsych

Did apply to Davis but did not hear back at all... seems strange but I am guessing it is a no. Only other school I have not heard a peep from is Pittsburgh. Did anyone go to Minnesota for recuitment weekend?

Applied: Pittsburgh, Davis, Michigan, U Denver, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Stanford, SUNY Stony Brook, Oregon, Temple

Rejected: Oregon

Alternate: Minnesota, Stanford

Accepted: Michigan

Interviews: Wisconsin, Denver, SUNY Stony Brook, Temple

Haven't heard: Pittsburgh, Davis

Good news is.. this will all be over soon. Hope everyone is breathing

Edited by sandmark0788

Did apply to Davis but did not hear back at all... seems strange but I am guessing it is a no. Only other school I have not heard a peep from is Pittsburgh. Did anyone go to Minnesota for recuitment weekend?

Applied: Pittsburgh, Davis, Michigan, U Denver, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Stanford, SUNY Stony Brook, Oregon, Temple

I called Pitt last week and she said they were calling people this week.

I believe Pittsburgh has already done interviews, but I don't think they've made decisions yet

Edited by abeilles

Got a call from POI at Fordham - I got in! With a prestigious fellowship!  Yippee!

I think I may call back NYU in a few weeks and prod them with this information....they asked me to call them before I accepted anywhere else. My top choice is EITHER Fordham or NYU....Fordham has a great program, excellent research match, stellar quant department to help me with my research, and is giving me loads more money than NYU would. But it's like a 2 hour commute....each way. Probably every day (at least for the first 2 years). Yuck!

I feel silly making a fuss over commute times but jeez, 4 hours every day is like...a part time job. My husband and I are trying to have a baby soon, and time away from a little one is a HUGE concern of mine during grad school. I'm confident I can make it work, but being 25 minutes away from campus (like I am to NYU) would be a great thing...ouiy. 

ALOHA!

Unofficially accepted to UH Manoa for Developmental Psych!! 

Had no phone interview, but was asked follow-up question a month ago via email. 

Emailed last week to inquire about status, received reply last night (Sunday night?? lol) that the decision was made "late last week" and to look for my official letter in the "near future"!!