Developmental Psychology Fall 2013 Applicants

ChitownSVL

I'm in the process of finishing all ten of my apps. Not too worried about contacting poi's or anything, except to find out if there still taking applicants thats about it. I'll probably submit everything by early to mid October.

I'm applying to 6 different programmes, a narrowed down list after contacting some POIs. Aim to complete submission by mid Nov. I'm taking my GRE psych in 3 weeks time and retaking my GRE at the end of Oct. Working on Statement of Purpose now.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

I'm in the process for applying to developmental programs. Planning on applying to 7. Hoping to have all applications done by November, as well. Just retook the GRE yesterday morning! Have contacted a few POIs, which has greatly helped me narrow the programs down (I originally had a list of 20!)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm considering a few Developmental Programs, but I can't seem to find much information regarding funding and GRE scores etc, compared to Clinical programs. Are Developmental programs equally as funded?

THANKS! :)

Breezyd - where are you applying? If you don't want to post, feel from to private message me. Good luck!

Sodapop - Yes, there are many, many programs that provide full funding. You are correct though, it is much more difficult to find data for previous applicants (GRE, GPA, etc). You might want to email the individual programs if you are concerned.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I applied to a couple of developmental programs (also social and evolutionary programs). I got an invitation to interview weekend for Oklahoma State's lifespan developmental program on the 23rd of December. I haven't heard from any other schools so far. I've seen some other developmental programs in the results section though.  

I think so?  I got an email from a POI at UC Santa Cruz asking me for project ideas that we could work on if I was in her lab.  After answering, she told me that she wasn't sure at first if I'd be a good fit, so she'd emailed me to check.  Now she wants to talk more about my ideas and answer some of my questions.  The word 'interview' was never used, so I'm not sure if this counts.

Also, I'm not sure if any of you are interested in Cornell's HD program, but I know that their admissions committee is almost done coming up with their "long list", which they'll soon send to professors so they can come up with their interview list.  Apparently, not many people applied this year.

I believe I had an informal sort of phone interview with my POI at the University of Maryland on Sunday. And I just received an email from my POI at the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor about scheduling a phone interview this week.

Edited by Shmanks

I am applying to mostly developmental programs, with a few cognitive programs. So far, I've only really heard back from the cognitive programs.

Yesterday I received two emails inviting me to interview weekends i February: one from Pitt (cognitive) and one from LSU (cognitive/developmental program). 

I also had a Skype interview at Penn state (again, for a cognitive program) last week, but haven't received a formal invitation to the interview weekend, although the faculty member with whom I interviewed did tell me that was the next step.

I hope everyone else is getting good news, considering I have seen that a lot of interview weekend invitations have gone out this week.

Today I was invited to UBC's graduate recruitment weekend (Feb 8-9) during an interview.  I've also got an interview scheduled for tomorrow from another UC Santa Cruz professor.  I'm not totally sure what either of these things precisely mean, but I'm SO excited!  I hope you guys are having a great day, too!

So far I've only heard from University of Washington Seattle. I had a phone interview this weekend with my POI that did not go smoothly, but I'm remaining hopeful for an invite to the interview weekend. I'm still waiting to hear something (anything!) back from University of Michigan Ann-Arbor, University of Chicago, Columbia Teacher's College, and Harvard (social program).

Someone please let me know if you've heard back from any of these institutions, I'm going nuts! 

Hey Jillionaire,

I had a phone interview with my POI at the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor. My POI informed me the board was going to meet Monday (yesterday) and should know shortly after that (I'm assuming that means they'll know who they are inviting to interview weekend.)

Hope this helps!

Edited by Shmanks