PhD applications for 2013-2014 chit chat...

11Q13

So I was under the impression that Loyola Chicago contacted everyone who was accepted and wait listed via e-mail. I was told they accepted two applicants, and someone posted in the results forum that they were #1 on the wait list should one of the candidates decline.

I have not received any e-mails from Loyola but when checking my postal mail tonight, I received a letter of acceptance. It said that if I applied for a merit award, I would receive notification of the outcome separately from the Graduate School. 

So those of you who have not yet heard back from Loyola Chicago....there may still be hope! Perhaps they took more people? Or perhaps I was on a wait list and didn't know it. Or maybe they awarded the two people already accepted with the Merit Awards and I was accepted without financial aid. 

Either way... if you applied be sure to check your postal mail often!

Edit: this was for the Integrative Studies in Ethics and Theology program.

Edited by crackthesky

Congratulations on your acceptance! I'm not sure how the program works there.

So I was under the impression that Loyola Chicago contacted everyone who was accepted and wait listed via e-mail. I was told they accepted two applicants, and someone posted in the results forum that they were #1 on the wait list should one of the candidates decline.

I was the one who posted that on the results. I received an email from the program director who said that I was in the first waitlist slot for ISET program with a Theology concentration. 

Are you an Ethics concentration? 

Thanks!

I mentioned in my SOP that I hoped to pursue systematics as my focal area.

Perhaps the ISET program offers acceptances respectively for ethics and systematics applicants?

Either way, I thought it was strange that I have not received any e-mails from them. When I checked my postal mail tonight I thought to myself, "this envelope is awfully large for a rejection notice."

I have not received any e-mails from Loyola but when checking my postal mail tonight, I received a letter of acceptance. It said that if I applied for a merit award, I would receive notification of the outcome separately from the Graduate School. 

So those of you who have not yet heard back from Loyola Chicago....there may still be hope! Perhaps they took more people? Or perhaps I was on a wait list and didn't know it. Or maybe they awarded the two people already accepted with the Merit Awards and I was accepted without financial aid. 

Either way... if you applied be sure to check your postal mail often!

Edit: this was for the Integrative Studies in Ethics and Theology program.

congrats!  i was accepted there too with full funding, and i don't think they accept w/out full funding.  perhaps someone else dropped?  pm me if you want to chat about what i've learned so far!

Anyone have any info on Harvard GSAS Religion? ThD (HDS) has been out for a week or so but I can't find any info on the PhD.
Harvard GSAS Committee on the Study of Religion hasn't sent out acceptances yet. They usually come like 1.5-2 weeks after HDS sends out the THD results. I was told results should come late Feb./early March, maybe a little later this year due to the snow. The PhD has more concentrations so perhaps that's also why it takes longer. Should be noted that historically admitees hear first via email or phone, and rejection letters go out later.

congrats!  i was accepted there too with full funding, and i don't think they accept w/out full funding.  perhaps someone else dropped?  pm me if you want to chat about what i've learned so far!

Thanks so much! And again, congrats on your acceptance, too!

Does any body know what the chances of getting into both the PhD and ThD at Harvard is?

I don't know about chances. I cannot offer you numbers. It does happen, but rarely. I know someone who got into both last year. But it's more often that people get in one or the other, not both. I guess really its most often people get in neither...

However, after talking to my advisor at HDS he did note that though the admissions committee is the same for the PhD and the ThD, they may rank people differently for each program. Having said that, let's say the ThD took 6 this year for its 6 concentrations/fields. The PhD, though it has like 18 concentrations/fields, they probably won't take an individual for each field... For example, historically, if you do HB/OT, you have a better chance of getting in the ThD than the PhD simply b/c rarely do they admit HB/OT people into the PhD program, and that may be because Harvard also has the doctoral program in NELC. 

So, I don't know. It's weird...

Edited by Neem217

A friend of mine just received a call informing him that he'd been accepted with funding at Marquette. Apparently those offers are going out today (or at least some of them). I'm thrilled for him.

Meanwhile I am burning a hole in my phone with my eyes. 

A friend of mine just received a call informing him that he'd been accepted with funding at Marquette. Apparently those offers are going out today (or at least some of them). I'm thrilled for him.

What was his field?

You're also deadset on exploding it with texts, from what I can hear from the carrel next door.

Stillwaiting, are you on Emory's wait list? If so, how did you find out?

Bibleprofwannabe, After not hearing anything at all and seeing the "Rejected" post on the Results Page, I called Emory's LGS directly and waited for them to tell me that they forgot to notify me of my rejection. Instead, I was told "the PCRL Faculty recommended me for admission, but I was not in the first round of offers." But I still haven't received any official notice.

Well, it appears that Marquette has sent out offers for systematic theology, historical theology, and NT. I guess they all went out at the same time. 

Damn. It's been a shit week. 

Edited by HazelMotes

Well, it appears that Marquette has sent out offers for systematic theology, historical theology, and NT. I guess they all went out at the same time. 

Damn. It's be a shit week. 

How do you know? I haven't seen anything on the results page.

About a month and a half ago I brewed my first batch of homebrew beer. It was a Pale Ale kit that I beefed up considerably. Anyway, I decided I'd call it "Ph.D. Pale Ale" and that I'd drink it, in either joy or sorrow, when my results started coming back.

My friends and I aren't all out of the woods yet, but damn it is this beer good.

Belichick, how do you know that UT Austin has a welcome weekend this weekend? They accepted me (no details yet on funding), so it strikes me as odd that they didn't mention this welcome weekend.