SAIS application for Fall 2013

Congrats. It's great to see people get really excited about getting into sais. I honestly felt nothing when i saw the letter. To be honest, i'm more excited about what i'm going to have for dinner tonight. Lol.

LOOOL, when you come from an underdeveloped country and your mother never even attended middle school, and your parents did their best to give you a great education even though your country was undergoing war, it is a great feeling to be accepted in a Program like SAIS!

When I applied, I thought the only schools I had a reach at were American University and SUNY-Albany, given the stats of those who were admitted. I ended up getting in GPPI, GW Trachtenberg, American SPA, SUNY- Albany Rockefeller, Carnegie Mellon Heinz College and now SAIS with money from most of them, I think I have good reasons to be excited even though I will unfortunately only attend one :( But Yayyyyy :)))

Congrats to everyone who got in and good luck to those who are still waiting to hear from SAIS

Dinged at SAIS. Anyone know if they provide feedback, if requested? 

I've emailed them. I'm going to phone tomorrow. Frankly, again not to sound (too) arrogant, but I am shocked to have been rejected. I pretty much tailored the past 18 months to this program so to say I'm bummed would be understatement.

I've emailed them. I'm going to phone tomorrow. Frankly, again not to sound (too) arrogant, but I am shocked to have been rejected. I pretty much tailored the past 18 months to this program so to say I'm bummed would be understatement.

Sorry to hear that, where are you in so far?

I'm with you. I can't say I'm shocked I didn't get in. My gre scores were pretty terrible, and my math background was practically non-existent, but I had a few really strong elements to my application that I thought would overcome the negatives. I got into International Trade and Investment Policy at Elliott, so that does help ease the pain a little bit, but I had essentially become emotionally involved with getting into SAIS for the last couple years. I'd be lying if I said I'm not super bummed out. I'm interested to know what you hear from SAIS. I may wait a bit to contact them. Their phones are probably getting blown up right now. 

LOOOL, when you come from an underdeveloped country and your mother never even attended middle school, and your parents did their best to give you a great education even though your country was undergoing war, it is a great feeling to be accepted in a Program like SAIS!

When I applied, I thought the only schools I had a reach at were American University and SUNY-Albany, given the stats of those who were admitted. I ended up getting in GPPI, GW Trachtenberg, American SPA, SUNY- Albany Rockefeller, Carnegie Mellon Heinz College and now SAIS with money from most of them, I think I have good reasons to be excited even though I will unfortunately only attend one :( But Yayyyyy :)))

Congrats to everyone who got in and good luck to those who are still waiting to hear from SAIS

I am proud to be in the same applicant pool with you and look forward to meeting you at the NUMBER ONE I/R program in the world!

Congratulations! Great to hear your background and that some people actually appreciate being accepted into their favored and the top schools. Good luck to you.

Edited by Pinkman

In at Bologna (but didn't get into IDEV...)! Excited to wake up to this (I'm in India, so it came while I was sleeping). Although, I'm a little confused as to why GMail didn't mark the email important! 

In at Bologna (but didn't get into IDEV...)! Excited to wake up to this (I'm in India, so it came while I was sleeping). Although, I'm a little confused as to why GMail didn't mark the email important! 

Are you American or international?

haha, I'm in India as well and it was quite a nice start to this hot morning in Delhi :) congratulations! 

Got the email around 6pm today. In at the Bologna campus! So incredibly psyched. I applied straight from undergrad so I expected to be denied. Anyone else going to have to decide between GWU and SAIS?

I'm straight out of undergrad, too,  and am choosing between SAIS and contemporary Arab studies programs at Harvard CMES and Georgetown SFS MAAS. After you get into SAIS, is there really a choice anymore?

Edited by riverguide

This is SUCH a great response, haha. Congrats, man, and congrats to all of you! Hopefully by tomorrow I'll be able to report I'm joining ya'll. I think I'd be a lot more nervous had I not already gotten into a couple solid places, but ever since my interview I've been really into SAIS (Nelson Graves sold it really well!), and would love to go there if I get in and I get some money thrown my way. I got the impression foreign students in the Bologna cohort have a pretty good shot at getting some funding; Mr. Graves said around 50% of Bologna applicants who request funding get something, and that the average grant was around 50% of tuition. That seems much higher than I'd seen cited previously, but hey, straight from the admission director's mouth!

Does anyone know why we need to fill out the FAFSA for financial aid info?  I'm just curious because for other programs I applied to they were able to notify us of our scholarship/fellowship awards without having filled out a FAFSA yet.  

I'm straight out of undergrad, too,  and am choosing between SAIS and contemporary Arab studies programs at Harvard CMES and Georgetown SFS MAAS. After you get into SAIS, is there really a choice anymore?

Haha, I do not even know! Still waiting about Georgetown MSFS. SAIS is undoubtably the best school for international economics which is what I want to do career wise. The thing that kicks me about SAIS( or SFS for that matter) is the cost $130,000 debt more or less. Will it pay off for us in the long run? Did you get in at DC or Bologna?

Haha, I do not even know! Still waiting about Georgetown MSFS. SAIS is undoubtably the best school for international economics which is what I want to do career wise. The thing that kicks me about SAIS( or SFS for that matter) is the cost $130,000 debt more or less. Will it pay off for us in the long run? Did you get in at DC or Bologna?

SAIS' cost is ridiculous. Hopefully i get solid funding from them, but from what i gather SAIS is incredibly stingy. Unreal. How do they justify such costs when the median PRIVATE sector salary coming out is only $63K?

Edited by Revolution

SAIS' cost is ridiculous. Hopefully i get solid funding from them, but from what i gather SAIS is incredibly stingy. Unreal. How do they justify such costs when the median PRIVATE sector salary coming out is only $63K?

i agree wholeheartedly.  coming from someone already 20k in debt from undergrad (having worked 3 jobs to ease the costs in school) and now anticipating the 120k+ fees for SAIS, i dunnoooo.

I know! Unfortunately for me I forgot to submit the financial aid application to SAIS (separate from the FAFSA). Not that it would be very likely that I would get any funding anyway seeing as I am straight out of undergrad. Anyways, calculating repayments assuming a $60k salary mean that I will contribute around 35-40% of monthly income on loan payments for around 15 years. I could face some serious financial difficulty with that. But then again it is the #1 or #2 school for IR which could carry alot of weight in finding better jobs?

Good luck to those who havent heard yet!

i agree wholeheartedly.  coming from someone already 20k in debt from undergrad (having worked 3 jobs to ease the costs in school) and now anticipating the 120k+ fees for SAIS, i dunnoooo.

I am in the same exact boat. Excess of 20k undergrad debt. Its a scary prospect. But the more I think about it the more I do not think I could turn down SAIS.

I know! Unfortunately for me I forgot to submit the financial aid application to SAIS (separate from the FAFSA). Not that it would be very likely that I would get any funding anyway seeing as I am straight out of undergrad. Anyways, calculating repayments assuming a $60k salary mean that I will contribute around 35-40% of monthly income on loan payments for around 15 years. I could face some serious financial difficulty with that. But then again it is the #1 or #2 school for IR which could carry alot of weight in finding better jobs?

Good luck to those who havent heard yet!

What high paying job could you get out of sais given your lack of work experience? Any decently lucrative private sector job will go to MBAs.

My case is a bit different because i am older and have 7 years of experience in a very niche area of finance. But even for me, i don't think i can consider sais unless they offer to pay for half the tuition.

What high paying job could you get out of sais given your lack of work experience? Any decently lucrative private sector job will go to MBAs.

My case is a bit different because i am older and have 7 years of experience in a very niche area of finance. But even for me, i don't think i can consider sais unless they offer to pay for half the tuition.

That is exactly the dilemma.

I am in the same exact boat. Excess of 20k undergrad debt. Its a scary prospect. But the more I think about it the more I do not think I could turn down SAIS.

haha same here.  i'd really hate myself for turning it down and going to a more local school, but im sure if i went to SAIS ill hate myself in 2 years knowing id be paying $900/mo to pay off my loans.  here's to hoping for the fellowships i know i wont get :)