This may be a silly question, but I didn't have a great GRE, my school now, (as a linguistics master student) calls it mediocre. I was in the 81st precentil logic, and the 31st percentile verbal. Should I re-take before applying to SLP next year? Or will they care? I am kind of hoping that what is going to matter is my current MA grades and research, but I figured it was worth asking.

• 3 weeks later...

Recently, a dept. head informed me that the verbal score (and analytical writing) mattered more, so you may want to re-take the GRE with a focus on increasing that score. Most programs look at your "latest" GRE scores, not necessarily the best of both sections if they're on different test dates... so definitely put effort into all parts of the test. Of course, all that depends on the programs where you are applying and what they are looking for. The 81st percentile is great, but the verbal seems a bit low. They want people above at least 150 on the new scoring system from what I have been able to find.

• 1 year later...

I decided to study for the GRE for the first time.  I am really worried because i don't know any of the vocabulary words.  My biggest concern was the Quantitative section because i have never been good at math, and now i am am realizing that i need to study all these vocabulary words that i don't know.  If the GRE is supposed to test your accumulated knowledge then why do they have specialized vocabulary words that we don't encounter everyday? I thought the vocabulary words will be more like the Academic word list which we are familiar with.  I am so fraustrated now.  Any insights?

http://www.amazon.com/Kaplan-Premier-2014-Practice-Tests/dp/1609789369/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398294069&sr=8-1&keywords=kaplan+gre+prep+book

I used this book and it was a huge help. The price includes online access to several practice tests. I did much better on the actual test than I did on the practice ones, so I felt like they were good preparation. 

The best part of the book is a list of the 150 most common vocabulary words. If you memorize those you'll be golden. That would be the first thing I would do.

I only reviewed the math portion for a couple of days and still did well, but I was always a strong math student. If you spend a month studying in this book a few times a week, you should do well. 

I decided to study for the GRE for the first time.  I am really worried because i don't know any of the vocabulary words.  My biggest concern was the Quantitative section because i have never been good at math, and now i am am realizing that i need to study all these vocabulary words that i don't know.  If the GRE is supposed to test your accumulated knowledge then why do they have specialized vocabulary words that we don't encounter everyday? I thought the vocabulary words will be more like the Academic word list which we are familiar with.  I am so fraustrated now.  Any insights?

When I took the GRE I made a big word map with all my GRE vocabulary, grouping words together graphically that had similar meanings, and using different colors for words with positive, negative, and neutral connotations. It really helped. I got a 168 on the verbal section!

I too, studied the vocabulary and got the 87th percentile on the verbal section.  I really think that vocabulary is the key to scoring well.  I memorized all 800 words in this book.  I found that many of them were on the test.

Vocabulary is just straight up memorization.  If you want a better score on the verbal section, you're going to have to memorize.  There are no shortcuts. 

Also, the GRE doesn't test your "accumulated knowledge."  It tests how well you take the GRE.

Edited by sayjo

I used HippoPirate's technique as well of grouping them. I also used them in everyday language for practice. It felt weird at first but it was a good starter for conversations :) it makes it more meaningful and encodes better in long-term memory.

Studying for the vocabulary took over my life. I carried flascards everywhere with me...the bus, running on a treadmill, sitting at a bench at the mall. It will be very rewarding once you're done.

Edited by Patont

The other thing I would suggest is reading from places like the new york times frequently. Not just the news but also reviews, op-eds, etc. I found the book reviews to be particularly good practice. I think most of get our information in little blurbs here and there and don't get a ton of practice reading dense material anymore (esp. if you are not currently in school). The reading practice helped alot

The other thing I would suggest is reading from places like the new york times frequently. Not just the news but also reviews, op-eds, etc. I found the book reviews to be particularly good practice. I think most of get our information in little blurbs here and there and don't get a ton of practice reading dense material anymore (esp. if you are not currently in school). The reading practice helped alot

http://www.amazon.com/Kaplan-Premier-2014-Practice-Tests/dp/1609789369/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398294069&sr=8-1&keywords=kaplan+gre+prep+book

I used this book and it was a huge help. The price includes online access to several practice tests. I did much better on the actual test than I did on the practice ones, so I felt like they were good preparation. 

The best part of the book is a list of the 150 most common vocabulary words. If you memorize those you'll be golden. That would be the first thing I would do.

I only reviewed the math portion for a couple of days and still did well, but I was always a strong math student. If you spend a month studying in this book a few times a week, you should do well. 

I too, studied the vocabulary and got the 87th percentile on the verbal section.  I really think that vocabulary is the key to scoring well.  I memorized all 800 words in this book.  I found that many of them were on the test.

Vocabulary is just straight up memorization.  If you want a better score on the verbal section, you're going to have to memorize.  There are no shortcuts. 

Also, the GRE doesn't test your "accumulated knowledge."  It tests how well you take the GRE.

I used HippoPirate's technique as well of grouping them. I also used them in everyday language for practice. It felt weird at first but it was a good starter for conversations :) it makes it more meaningful and encodes better in long-term memory.

Studying for the vocabulary took over my life. I carried flascards everywhere with me...the bus, running on a treadmill, sitting at a bench at the mall. It will be very rewarding once you're done.

Thank you all for your kind suggestions.  I guess i have a lot of work to do.

I highly recommend that you check out http://gre.magoosh.com! Even if you don't buy their service (which I would recommend... plus it's on sale right now), you should check out their GRE blog because it has tons of tips and even study plans.

I only memorized around 400 words (using a phone app called quizlet) and I wish that I had memorized more. That is absolutely essential to do well on the verbal part (unless you already have a very advanced vocabulary full of obscure words that nobody knows, lol). 

• 2 weeks later...

When I took the GRE I made a big word map with all my GRE vocabulary, grouping words together graphically that had similar meanings, and using different colors for words with positive, negative, and neutral connotations. It really helped. I got a 168 on the verbal section!

How did you do the word map? Like did you use an actual map and if so where did you get it from?

I think the comments on vocabulary are interesting because I didn't study for it at all and scored in the 81st percentile. I definitely didn't know all the obscure words but I knew enough to be able to eliminate and narrow down answers. I would say I have an average to slightly above average vocabulary, nothing special. I recommend spending more time on learning the strategy than the words themselves. In particular, be sure to study reading comprehension and sentence equivalence because those are tricky when your mind is tired.

OTOH, my quantitative score was completely another story. lol.  

Edited by DeafAudi

How did you do the word map? Like did you use an actual map and if so where did you get it from?

I just started putting words on a big piece of paper. I put words with negative connotations toward the left and positive connotations to the right, neutral in the middle. I think I had some kind of continuum from top to bottom too, but I don't remember what it was. If I had two words with very similar meanings, I placed them very close together, so I ended up with little word groupings (e.g. I had 4 or 5 words that had to do with being friendly, outgoing, or confident all in a little group). I think I also put parts of speech in different colors.

The visual really helped me remember them. :)

Something that helped me increase vocab (by 7 points!) was really just studying test taking strategies. I looked at a few words but really it was the strategy I think that helped me. Or I just was a lucky guesser the second time, haha.

I would highly recommend Magoosh for the GRE. I am a terrible test taker. After I studied all of the modules on Magoosh and took the practice tests, I went up by 12 points! To some my scores aren't high, but to me they are considering my standardized test taking abilities. I think it's around $85.00 for a one year subscription. It is well worth it! They also have an app you can download. Oh and they have a ton of flash cards. Good luck!

I would highly recommend Magoosh for the GRE. I am a terrible test taker. After I studied all of the modules on Magoosh and took the practice tests, I went up by 12 points! To some my scores aren't high, but to me they are considering my standardized test taking abilities. I think it's around $85.00 for a one year subscription. It is well worth it! They also have an app you can download. Oh and they have a ton of flash cards. Good luck!

Thank you.  DeafAudi was kind enough to lend me her login info for Magoosh, and i have been using it.  It actually expires at the end of this month.  I have already downloaded the app as well.  Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Does Magoosh always have discounts??  I am planning to take GRE next year, but I will not be able to study for the next couple of months. I see it has a huge discount now, I really do not want to miss it.

Thank you! :)

I highly recommend that you check out http://gre.magoosh.com! Even if you don't buy their service (which I would recommend... plus it's on sale right now), you should check out their GRE blog because it has tons of tips and even study plans.

I only memorized around 400 words (using a phone app called quizlet) and I wish that I had memorized more. That is absolutely essential to do well on the verbal part (unless you already have a very advanced vocabulary full of obscure words that nobody knows, lol). 

Does Magoosh always have discounts??  I am planning to take GRE next year, but I will not be able to study for the next couple of months. I see it has a huge discount now, I really do not want to miss it.

Thank you! :)

Yes, that discount has been there since April.  They just keep checking the dates.  No use buying it now if you don't need it as it is only for 6 months and not a year.

Yes, that discount has been there since April.  They just keep checking the dates.  No use buying it now if you don't need it as it is only for 6 months and not a year.

Oh great!!! It says there they extended it. I was not sure if that was for only once. :) Big difference in the price.

Thank you !!!

• 2 weeks later...

Did you only study the 150 most common vocabulary words in this book or did you study more words from somewhere else?

Anyone have tips for the math section. 

I really stink at math. I can not even get the questions marked easy correct in Magoosh.  :(

There's a book called "Cliffnotes Math Review for Standardized tests," which is what I used because I hadn't done math in YEARS.  The book begins with the very basics and builds in complexity as you work through it.  I found it easy to understand.  I didn't even attempt the GRE math until I worked my way through the book and I feel like it helped me a lot.

There's a book called "Cliffnotes Math Review for Standardized tests," which is what I used because I hadn't done math in YEARS.  The book begins with the very basics and builds in complexity as you work through it.  I found it easy to understand.  I didn't even attempt the GRE math until I worked my way through the book and I feel like it helped me a lot.

Thanks Sayjo!

I will look for it on Amazon.