Am Studies/Cultural Studies/Theory 2013

An alternate at Harvard. the least likely place for anyone to turn down!

Congrats-it's better than a rejection right? May I ask how you were notified?

I am also interested to hear how you found out -- postal service? And if you look at past results there's a couple who reported getting off the wait list for that program. Congrats! You have a chance.

I am also interested to hear how you found out -- postal service? And if you look at past results there's a couple who reported getting off the wait list for that program. Congrats! You have a chance.

I was finally able to fix my Iowa password, so I decided to check my status, saw a simple "Admission decision: Not Accepted"

Thanks for the heads up, Iowa... :(

Yeah, I was disappointed that they couldn't bother to send email or letter notification. At least an email to say "your application decision is available online... yadda yadda"

Well phooey! We've only got a couple to hear back from. My WSU and U of KS still show "submitted" or "completed." I am still secretly holding on to the dream of moving up from Wait List at Penn State, though I probably won't. The answers will be revealed soon.

I apologize if this has already been addressed on here, but does anyone have any news/updates re: the program in Social Thought at UChicago? I see a handful of rejections have been posted on the results board, and one person said that they were notified that they were at the top of the waitlist, but have any acceptance notices actually gone out yet? I am dying to know what is going on with them, if only to come to terms with my almost-certain rejection...

Hey -- hopefully you get this, since you posted a while ago. I'm the waitlisted person, and like you am absolutely dying for information. One thing to consider is that they forward applications to the MA in Social Sciences (and possible the Humanities, too, depending on the person) -- so if you haven't heard from them yet, that could be what's going on! I'm sorry I don't have anything more. The accepted people seem to be hiding...

for others who have applied (I did not to this program): anyone claiming the BGSU PhD admit?

Thanks, phigirl! I was wondering about that one myself.

Also, I came home to the most kindly worded rejection letter I've ever received (and I am an authority on the subject) from Iowa. So, it's official, but they were really nice about it.

Thanks, phigirl! I was wondering about that one myself.

Also, I came home to the most kindly worded rejection letter I've ever received (and I am an authority on the subject) from Iowa. So, it's official, but they were really nice about it.

I received a nice letter from Iowa, too, yesterday, and I agree that they were super nice about the rejection.

Any reason why most posters have stuck to American schools?

My adviser has informed me of two European programs, but being that I have a soon to be husband who is still working on his BS there's not really any way going abroad would work for us. So that's why I've stuck to American schools

I really wanted to apply to Canadian programs, but I couldn't find any that were a good fit for my interests (probably because I'm an Americanist :lol:). I didn't even bother with European programs; I've already moved from Hawaii to Massachusetts sans furniture, so I'm not looking to fly all my stuff across another ocean.

My adviser has informed me of two European programs, but being that I have a soon to be husband who is still working on his BS there's not really any way going abroad would work for us. So that's why I've stuck to American schools

Word. What about Canadian schools? I ask because I too was told not to go international and, fortunately, I did not listen. I was rejected from nearly all of my American choices (or admitted with no/limited funding), but accepted with incredible funding to nearly all of my Canadian choices. And, regarding "Cultural Studies" or interdisciplinary theory-heavy projects, Canadian schools seem much more embracing, competent, and accommodating. These are all generalizations, thus necessary wrong, but I dare continue to say that most of the Canadian schools that I looked at require/encourage/foster a much more independent, project/career oriented student. This is in contrast to the domestic programs that I was considering, many of which explicitly stated that they wanted to know my interests and not my proposed trajectory. To offer another oversimplification that merits easy/sleazy critique, Canadian schools offer the best of American and European systems: less coursework and more emphasis on, or assumption of, the fact that you are a competent student ready to tackle a dissertation. Of course there are benefits to a 5-8 year program in the states that requires heavy teaching loads, but i'm just sharing my thoughts and encouraging people to look abroad because i'm glad that I did so :-). The job market is dismal, period. Success is largely determined by one's hustle. Just some thoughts...

I really wanted to apply to Canadian programs, but I couldn't find any that were a good fit for my interests (probably because I'm an Americanist :lol:). I didn't even bother with European programs; I've already moved from Hawaii to Massachusetts sans furniture, so I'm not looking to fly all my stuff across another ocean.

There are well funded American studies programs at several Canadian Uni's. Several of these even have fully funded MA programs.

Edit: anyway, good luck to all! I hope that a highly self-motivated, well read, and frustrated American student finds solace and possibilities in these posts for next year's cycle.

Edited by StephanieDelacour

Same here. I've also been advised to complete grad school close to where I want to end up, which is the US.

There are well funded American studies programs at several Canadian Uni's. Several of these even have fully funded MA programs.

Edit: anyway, good luck to all! I hope that a highly self-motivated, well read, and frustrated American student finds solace and possibilities in these posts for next year's cycle.

If you don't mind, could you post a list (or PM)? I will say I did not look much in BC due to the high cost of living, but I checked out several programs in Alberta, Ontario, Quebec, and Manitoba. I also avoided UToronto for a very long, complicated reason. Maybe I missed a school (or a program within a school)?

Any info would be much appreciated!

Yeah. Harvard isn't looking likely since other have been contacted which leaves only Maryland.

Have you tried contacting Maryland? They make me mad!

Seven cats, four snakes, thousands of dollars of instruments, a mortgage, and a husband. No country would want us bad enough to resolve that costly of an endeavor  :lol: 

If you don't mind, could you post a list (or PM)? I will say I did not look much in BC due to the high cost of living, but I checked out several programs in Alberta, Ontario, Quebec, and Manitoba. I also avoided UToronto for a very long, complicated reason. Maybe I missed a school (or a program within a school)?

Any info would be much appreciated!

Ryerson's Communication & Culture program is very open to cultural studies. Also York University's Social & Political Thought and their new program in Media Studies. I would also suggest Concordia or SFU's Comm programs. (I'm Canadian!)