HGSE Fall 2013

Coloradogirl

Yeah.  Haven't responded to the Grad Assistantship offer at Vandy yet, but I just have to go with Harvard.  It's Harvard.  I think if they said "It will cost you one kidney in addition to tuition," I'd still have to say yes.  

Yeah, I totally understand. That's basically my reasoning for choosing Harvard over Penn. The fact that I think Boston > Philly helps a little, too.

For those worried about how they'll pay back tuition at the Ed School, there's always the chance you'll find Mr. Right at the Med, Law or Business School. Guys from all three definitely crash the HGSE parties on a regular basis because they know dropping the HBS, HLS, HMS bomb is sure to impress. HGSE guys stay complaining about dudes from other schools poaching on their territory.

For those worried about how they'll pay back tuition at the Ed School, there's always the chance you'll find Mr. Right at the Med, Law or Business School. Guys from all three definitely crash the HGSE parties on a regular basis because they know dropping the HBS, HLS, HMS bomb is sure to impress. HGSE guys stay complaining about dudes from other schools poaching on their territory.

hahahha!!! nice plan- let's become gold diggers!

$1000 per room is too expensive; there are cheaper (and equally as safe, if not safer) parts of Cambridge. Any agent whose territory is Harvard Square will inflate prices because they know people will pay anything to live close to campus. There's a great public transportation system, and there are apartments in walking distance in Allston, that would cost you HALF of that. 

Hahahaha so funny.  Especially because while visiting Harvard as a junior in high school, my mom said "You just sit here on this corner until you find a husband."

I have added a new theory to the cost thing... It's 9 months of my life and 9 months that I want to savor and get the most of and that is worth a few hundred bucks a month.  I definitely want to be closer to campus.  In the end, what's tacking a couple extra grand to those loans really?  

(I had this same theory while purchasing the home just ever so much out of my range.... struggled a bit, but it worked out).  

Edited by ASzofer

I have a similar outlook, ASzofer. The difference, however, is that we'll be in Boston for at least 6 years (fiancee wants to go to vet school). In the end, though, we're not materialistic people, so we don't spend much money in the first place (the occasional movie/dinner is about it). Therefore, I want to at least be in a place that I want to live in and feel good about since that's where we'll be 99% of the time when we're not at school or working.

Edited by CQE

The cost of housing is a real shocker for me! I looked at on-campus housing but I'm a little concerned about the dining plan though.

Also is anyone going to the Open House in April?

Housing is crazy!  I mean, I'm from Chicago so I'm used to things not being affordable... but holy crap!  So much worse in Cambridge!  I looked at on-campus housing, but I don't think I can handle a dorm room.  I need a kitchen in my life.  

I'll be at Open House!! (also costing a crap-ton!!)  But I guess I better get used to spending money I don't really have... this is going to be one hell of an expensive 9 months.  Can't think of anything I'd rather go in debt for though!

Yay! Glad to hear you're going with HGSE. I'll be at the Open House too! Soo excited. Southwest has some cheapsy cheapsy deals right now, y'all.

I am looking for places with a friend from undergrad and we're just putting feelers for more roomies and a place to live out there - message me if you know of any apartments that open up mid-summer, haha!

HAHAHA

this will be my plan

Edited by merrysoprano

Also, I know a bunch of you were also still waiting to hear from TC.  My acceptance was pretty anti-climatic at this point because I'm still so excited about HSGE, but I just randomly checked the website about an hour ago and still haven't even received the email saying to do so.  Just go to your application (not NextStep) and it's just like Harvard's.  They offered me some moolah, but meh.... too excited about HSGE!

Wait, where did you guys hear about the Open House date?  And I'm still one of those people waiting on TC....  gaaaaah this is going to be one hell of a tough decision!!!

It's on the acceptance page. Well, not explicitly.

Click on "Admitted Students Events." You'll see it from there upon logging in (you'll have to create a PIN and use the student # they provided you with in the acceptance letter).

Haaaa, my friends and I have had a blast chortling at some of the Harvard merchandise around the various shops.

Like the CLASSY (but totally impractical for me and out of my price range) briefcase.

gSCE4Du.jpg

I think I just want the HGSE tee first...

nPd1tQq.jpg

I will go crazy with Harvard apparel once I get up to Cambridge for Admitted Students Weekend though! I think I racked up about ten free t shirts from various things in undergrad... they're my favorite. I hope I get some free fun HGSE tees during my year there too!

Edited by merrysoprano

Haha I was thinking Hoodie will definitely be my first item, too.  But I might wait until I can go buy one in person :)  So excited!!!!!  THat was a pretty V-Neck though Merrysoprano.  May have to invest in one of those too.  And 10 million t-shirts.  I hope that have a shirt that says "Harvard Mommy!" just like that to get my mother.  

I bought a hoodie Friday about two hours after getting my acceptance letter! Rather less cool compared to a jersey but likely equally exciting :)

Nah, brah. Hoodies are great...but not quite as cool as the back tat I'm getting. Tramp stamp, specifically. Those look good, right? On dudes? Size 48 pt font. Times New Roman.

#iwin

Edited by CQE

Here's my first ever Harvard item. What's y'all's?   81Jsf9fej7L_SL1500__zpscc1d30ee.jpg
Haaaa, my friends and I have had a blast chortling at some of the Harvard merchandise around the various shops. Like the CLASSY (but totally impractical for me and out of my price range) briefcase. gSCE4Du.jpg I think I just want the HGSE tee first... nPd1tQq.jpg I will go crazy with Harvard apparel once I get up to Cambridge for Admitted Students Weekend though! I think I racked up about ten free t shirts from various things in undergrad... they're my favorite. I hope I get some free fun HGSE tees during my year there too!
I bought a hoodie Friday about two hours after getting my acceptance letter! Rather less cool compared to a jersey but likely equally exciting :) 
I got a HGSE sweatshirt for Christmas! Gonna use it when I do my "official" notice! It's killing me that I can't celebrate publicly yet!

Definitely coming to the Open House. I loved the email that was sent today. 

Also, anyone thinking of moving early? I kind of want to move in mid June to get acclimated. Any females looking for roommates let me know :).

I'm actually considering going to the Ed.M. day due to the Southwest deal that merrysoprano posted (fank'oo). Pick out an apartment, too. w00t

Definitely coming to the Open House. I loved the email that was sent today. 

Also, anyone thinking of moving early? I kind of want to move in mid June to get acclimated. Any females looking for roommates let me know :).

WUT?

I didn't get one.

wahhhhhh

I'm not in the cool kids club.