HGSE Fall 2013

Coloradogirl

Guest HEPhD13

Good luck to everyone!

GRE Score: V 157, Q 156 AWA: 4.0

GPA: Undergraduate: 3.2, Graduate: 3.9

Work Experience: 4+ year at higher ed institutions with international grant experiences

Undergrad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): Private

Research Experience: Only independent projects in undergrad and grad

Applying for PhD or Masters: Ed.D

Program: Culture, Communities, and Education

What Other Schools Are You Applying To: Undecided

My applications are finally complete, and I am not feeling the relief I expected to! My undergraduate school was competitive, and I have two master's degrees, but this is the first time I am applying to places that I am not 100% confident about. Any advice on how to stay mellow until March?

I wish I had found this community sooner. Good luck to everyone.

GRE Score: V 165, Q 161 AWA: 5.5

GPA: Undergraduate: 3.7, Graduate-- MAT English Education 4.0; MFA in Creative Writing and Literature 4.0

Work Experience: 9 years as a high school teacher, volunteer work, travel and various fellowships during summers

Undergrad Institution: All public

Research Experience: Not directly

Applying for PhD or Masters: Ed.D.

Program: Education Policy, Leadership, and Instructional Practice

What Other Schools Are You Applying To: UT Austin, UC Boulder-- Ph. D. programs in Curriculum and Instruction

GRE Score: V 159, Q 149 AWA: 4.5

GPA: Undergraduate: 3.5 Graduate: N/A

Work Experience: 3 years in an unrelated field, 3 years teaching overseas, various volunteer teaching activities, 2 years total spent studying overseas

Undergrad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): private liberal arts

Research Experience: Only independent projects in undergrad; no publications. 3 conference presentations related to teaching & skill development

Applying for PhD or Masters: Ed.D

Program: Culture, Communities, and Education

What Other Schools Are You Applying To: Stanford, UC Berkeley (both PhD)

Just recently submitted my HGSE application. Good luck everyone :)

Edited by ay761

Guest HEPhD13

I just submitted my application and I am so relieved and excited. Now on to the hardest part, the waiting game :/ Anyone else feel the same way?

YES!! I've been waiting for the December 1 deadlines already but we won't likely hear anything until after the holidays. I'm really nervous as well because one of my recommenders is having some personal issues keeping him from turning in the recommendations in on time-- heart palpitations every day!

Yes, it's amazing that finishing the applications feels both like a relief and the total loss of control over the process.

In previous years, it looks like most decisions were sent sometime in mid to late February. How are you all planning to pass the time?

• 2 weeks later...

I too am applying to HGSE (yes I know it is due Friday)--but I am torn between IEP and HEP programs. I've been a faculty member for 6 years and developed several programs- so I feel like my *fit* is more for the HEP, but I'm just really interested in the IEP. I also hear the HEP is more competitive (but that may not be true).

has anyone heard anything else on "competitiveness" among the edm programs?

I don't attend HGSE but the way I apply to programs is like this....do you want to take a majority of your classes in IEP or HEP? IEP will focus primarily on K-12 international education whereas HEP will focus primarily on higher education. It's easier to take IEP electives if your passion is higher education policy.

For those applying to Harvard, how long are your personal statements? To me, the 1500 word limit seems excessively long, particularly when other schools request 500 words or 1-2pages at maximum. Just wondering!

My statement was about 1300 words.

For those applying to Harvard, how long are your personal statements? To me, the 1500 word limit seems excessively long, particularly when other schools request 500 words or 1-2pages at maximum. Just wondering!

My statement was about 1300 words.

My SoP is 1,500 on the dot according to MS Word.

Not sure how many of you use Google Docs, but, if you do, be aware that it usually comes up a bit short in regards to word count. MS Word is most accurate.

Perhaps this is a dumb question, but where do you pay your app fee via credit/debit card? Is it after you've signed your signature and are 100% ready to submit the app?

I'm not seeing it anywhere, obviously.

My SOP had 1500 words on the dot too according to MS Word. However, I have 15 years progressive work experience and some doctoral starts and stops that needed to be explained.

Perhaps this is a dumb question, but where do you pay your app fee via credit/debit card? Is it after you've signed your signature and are 100% ready to submit the app?   I'm not seeing it anywhere, obviously.
Yes, it won't be available until you're ready to submit!

I was at 1,499 words for the Ed.D Statement of Purpose. Personally, I found other institution's tighter length requirements more difficult. But, if you're having trouble reaching 1500 words, I would focus on the quality over the length. I'm sure the admissions committee will not mind a concise essay, especially if well-written. I had a professor that would always say, "Exhaust the subject, not the reader." Probably good advice in this case.

I submitted my application, paid the application fee and all the application checklist has green checkmarks. Where is the

status displayed? I'm terrified that I'm missing something.

Edited by Edugy

I submitted my application, paid the application fee and all the application checklist has green checkmarks. Where is the

status displayed? I'm terrified that I'm missing something.

If all the check marks are green and the payment is shown as received, I think you're all set. Mine says "Application Submitted" on the right side above the checklist. I also received a confirmation email letting me know everything submitted successfully very soon after I submitted everything.

I applied to the HGSE EDLD program and only to this program because I am really interested in systematic change and it is the only program I found that really addressed this. 

Am I the only person freaking out about the whether or not an interview will be granted?? I know the interviews are supposed to be January 31 or February 1. I also heard it is normal for 3,000 people to apply and they only grant 50 interviews. I fully understand the odds are against me, but I am still hoping! 

Has anyone here been offered an interview for the HGSE EDLD program? Should I stop worrying about it because I am out of the running? Any help would be fantastic. Thanks. 

Also, I submitted my resume (MS Word doc) just a moment ago and the formatting went all to hell once I preview it using Harvard's site.

So...will they see the correctly formatted version or the skewed version I previewed on their site?