HGSE Fall 2013

Coloradogirl

I believe that spots in GSAS housing are pretty limited for HGSE students as well. Only a handful are placed there. I think they might place people by home location, though, and the people who live farthest from HGSE are placed first, so GSAS might well work out for you, sharanya89! (I might be making this up. But I feel like I remember reading that one's geographic location coming to HGSE affected one's GSAS housing.)

I'm looking at the off-campus apartments they rent, it's one of those things where they give you a window to look at the places they have to offer and if one you like is open you can claim it deals. Not guaranteed to find something, and some of the prices are ridiculous (like $2600/mo ridiculous!) but since I'll be married and we have a small dog there are a few places that would work for us if they are available.  Otherwise we will be rental shopping in May or so!

I believe that spots in GSAS housing are pretty limited for HGSE students as well. Only a handful are placed there. I think they might place people by home location, though, and the people who live farthest from HGSE are placed first, so GSAS might well work out for you, sharanya89! (I might be making this up. But I feel like I remember reading that one's geographic location coming to HGSE affected one's GSAS housing.)

I definitely also have a vague memory of reading that! 

Edited because I was yammering on unnecessarily :) 

Edited by Sunshinegrl456

Has anyone looked into the possibility of seeing the rooms/facilities of the on campus housing during preview weekend? I need to look into that, but wasn't sure if other people had already done so :).

I'm getting excited for all of these events coming up!

has anybody found statistics on average scholarship/assistance? Started reviewing that admitted student packet today and $65k in writing made it seem a lot heavier than before... 

Based on the financial aid packages they've offered the past two years, all I have to say is don't expect much. You're going to be expected to pay for most of it.

Based on the financial aid packages they've offered the past two years, all I have to say is don't expect much. You're going to be expected to pay for most of it.

Which is bull. Harvard should be able to fully fund all of its education students. Why on earth would someone willingly go $65,000 or more in debt for an M.Ed degree? Seems like the most you'd make coming out of that program is 50-60,000, and that's most likely in a major city where the cost of living is extremely high.

I read somewhere (sorry to be vague, I swear it was a link off the pre-matric site but I can't locate it now) that the average starting salary coming out of the HGSE Ed. M is around $55k. 

That said, I don't put too much stock in it given the variety in years of experience we're bringing into the program and the variety of industries we'll all be going to after the program. I also think what you DO with your time in the program has a large influence on your value coming out of the program (eg. making sure you take the right classes so you can actually get that analyst job). Rather than think of it in terms of averages, I think of the value of my time spent in this program as equal to a "promotion" if I'd stayed at work. It increases the salary I expect to move to after the program, it speeds up the rate at which I expect to reach said higher salary, and I expect the biggest pay off in the next 3-5 years when I start hitting those job descriptions that require a minimum of a master's (or 10+ years work experience that I am not willing to wait for!). 

Maybe that's a flawed/exaggerated justification for why it's worth it for me to attend this program, who knows. At the end of the day this is more than just a career move for me and maybe it's financially reckless (my parents, neither of whom finished college, certainly think it is), but I'm SO HUNGRY to study about organizational change and knowledge management and to be able to dig into research and theory and work with professors and talk with peers - for me it's the mecca of what I derive fulfillment and happiness from. And if I have to pay $65K for that, ok. Worst case, I'm earning what I earn now, which is enough to make the student loan payment without facing serious economic constraints. Bottom line is this is what I REALLY want to do; I might not be a ton richer for it, but I certainly hope my life will be enriched, which has value in and of itself. 

Has anyone looked into the possibility of seeing the rooms/facilities of the on campus housing during preview weekend? I need to look into that, but wasn't sure if other people had already done so :).

I'm getting excited for all of these events coming up!

I inquired about this when I called Admissions for a separate issue. They said they can't give us housing tours for a number of reasons -- school policy, privacy of students who live in HUH, residence hall renovations (I'm guessing they were referring to Cronkhite). 

I read somewhere (sorry to be vague, I swear it was a link off the pre-matric site but I can't locate it now) that the average starting salary coming out of the HGSE Ed. M is around $55k. 

That said, I don't put too much stock in it given the variety in years of experience we're bringing into the program and the variety of industries we'll all be going to after the program. I also think what you DO with your time in the program has a large influence on your value coming out of the program (eg. making sure you take the right classes so you can actually get that analyst job). Rather than think of it in terms of averages, I think of the value of my time spent in this program as equal to a "promotion" if I'd stayed at work. It increases the salary I expect to move to after the program, it speeds up the rate at which I expect to reach said higher salary, and I expect the biggest pay off in the next 3-5 years when I start hitting those job descriptions that require a minimum of a master's (or 10+ years work experience that I am not willing to wait for!). 

Maybe that's a flawed/exaggerated justification for why it's worth it for me to attend this program, who knows. At the end of the day this is more than just a career move for me and maybe it's financially reckless (my parents, neither of whom finished college, certainly think it is), but I'm SO HUNGRY to study about organizational change and knowledge management and to be able to dig into research and theory and work with professors and talk with peers - for me it's the mecca of what I derive fulfillment and happiness from. And if I have to pay $65K for that, ok. Worst case, I'm earning what I earn now, which is enough to make the student loan payment without facing serious economic constraints. Bottom line is this is what I REALLY want to do; I might not be a ton richer for it, but I certainly hope my life will be enriched, which has value in and of itself. 

I think this is a really great way to put it. I am in a different situation where I can still get that same kind of "promotion" at a different Master's program for zero debt, but it boils down to the notion that for many of us (myself included), making this decision goes far beyond present/future monetary value. If anything, if I do end up choosing HGSE and embracing the debt, it'll certainly have to be for the enrichment of my life in ways that other programs certainly could not offer.

Well said!  I am well aware that paying a lot for a masters is advised against by many.  You described exactly why I am doing it anyway.  I'm a pretty frugal person, so I won't be crushed by the loan payments.  I totally believe this learning experience will be worth my investment even if it does not result in a pay raise.

Is anyone familiar with cross-registering policies at HGSE (TIE program specifically). I found in the handbook:

"Please note that as a member of the TIE program, you may take only one course at any individual school outside of HGSE. For example, you may take one course at the Harvard Business School and one fall course at MIT, but not two at either HBS or MIT."

What does it actually mean? I plan to take one course at FAS + one course at HBS in my first semester and one course at MIT in my second semester. Does it sound alright?

Thanks

I understand your point. Certainly others have made it before, and many agree that just the opportunity to say you went to Harvard (even though it isn't one of the elite value adding and competitive degree programs such as the Law School, Business School, and Medical School) is worth the obscene amount of debt required to go to HGSE. Just a reminder though, not all grad programs at Harvard are created equal. You'll definitely be reminded of that regularly when you get to Cambridge.

For me personally, it's not so much the opportunity to say I went to "Harvard". Rather, it's that I want to study organizational change and leadership from a research (v. practical/professional) perspective. In terms of getting that along with the foundation in/context of education policy, Harvard EPM and Stanford POLS are pretty much it. Moreover, Harvard is the only one that focuses specifically on K-12. It's that preciseness of focus and depth that makes this program valuable and worthwhile for me. If I felt that I could get anything close to that anywhere else for cheaper, I'd be there in a heartbeat (probably). 

Also, I keep reminding myself that it's not THAT obscene an amount of debt - there's plenty of kids in B school and Law school spending $100,000 more than I am who aren't guaranteed to come out it earning that much more than me (right away or over a lifetime), and you never know how many of them will end up switching to education down the road which makes me laugh a little because we'd effectively end up in the same place but my degree cost less and took less time :) 

For me personally, it's not so much the opportunity to say I went to "Harvard". Rather, it's that I want to study organizational change and leadership from a research (v. practical/professional) perspective. In terms of getting that along with the foundation in/context of education policy, Harvard EPM and Stanford POLS are pretty much it. Moreover, Harvard is the only one that focuses specifically on K-12. It's that preciseness of focus and depth that makes this program valuable and worthwhile for me. If I felt that I could get anything close to that anywhere else for cheaper, I'd be there in a heartbeat (probably). 

Also, I keep reminding myself that it's not THAT obscene an amount of debt - there's plenty of kids in B school and Law school spending $100,000 more than I am who aren't guaranteed to come out it earning that much more than me (right away or over a lifetime), and you never know how many of them will end up switching to education down the road which makes me laugh a little because we'd effectively end up in the same place but my degree cost less and took less time :)

Your reasons are yours alone and if it seems worth it to you then certainly pursue the program. YOLO.

However I don't think the reasoning that students at the bschool and the law school take on loads of debt, therefore it must be OK for YOU to and other HGSE students to take on debt makes much sense. Remember that those students are for the most part pursuing jobs in the private sector, while HGSE students want to be public sector education employees. These positions are notoriously low paying. I work with many of them and some barely make 50,000 and are glad to be getting that. On the other hand the median incomes at HBS are $120,000 plus 20K bonus and $155,000 plus bonus at Harvard Law. No one in the education field will approach that even in the 20th year of their career let alone the first year out of school. And if any of these grads decide to jump sectors, most will be able to command higher salaries because they've been high earners over the course of their careers. Just look at the bios of executive directors and COOs etc of ed organizations on linkedin. Many, if not most, come from a private sector background which is highly respected and well compensated. Not to knock public sector jobs at all. I've worked in both the private and public sector, but I try to counsel people to be extremely cautious about the debt they take on in pursuit of a graduate degree because it can be a heavy burden later in life once you decide to start a family and buy a home, etc.

Edited by Sonic Youth

Yes, I've grown rather cynical of the number of people with corporate backgrounds that walk away from it and waltz right into education with doors flung open and check books out as they scoop up the already few Analyst/Strategy/Consultant positions out there. That being said, pretty much my only response is that deep down I believe that l can prove myself to be just as valuable as them (being idealistic as a prerequisite of being an educator, is it not?). 

One question though: what the heck are these people in public sector that you know doing that's causing them to scrounge to bring home 50K? I haven't interviewed for or seen a job that I feel qualified for in a while that pays south of 50 and I'm only two years out of school and don't have a master's yet. The lowest paying job on the data team at my organization pays more than that, and I know several people earning over 100 that are doing things I could see myself doing in 5-10 years. Have I been DRASTICALLY misled? 

(choosing not to PM this because I figure we all lean in a little closer when talk of our future potential earnings comes up. If I'm wrong, feel free to boo and hiss and I'll gtfo :)

Edited by Sunshinegrl456

I understand your point. Certainly others have made it before, and many agree that just the opportunity to say you went to Harvard (even though it isn't one of the elite value adding and competitive degree programs such as the Law School, Business School, and Medical School) is worth the obscene amount of debt required to go to HGSE. Just a reminder though, not all grad programs at Harvard are created equal. You'll definitely be reminded of that regularly when you get to Cambridge.

Sonic Youth, I disagree with the statement that says "not all grad programs at Harvard are created equal." All grad programs are created equal. HGSE is at the very top in its field, similar to the biz school or law school in their respective field. If people bank too much on material interests and think lowly of education, we educators have to fix it. Don't let the businessmen and lawyers tell you that they are better than you. I think your reasoning is flawed in the fact that you look at monetary gain as the only indicator of success in life. While it is certainly a major factor, money is not everything. 

I bet peeps from the b school and l school can make a lot more dough. But it's hard to tell who makes a bigger impact in our world. I was once a biz major and worked in real estate. It's a lucrative field. But then I asked myself if I would be happier dying with $5m in my savings account doing what I don't like to do or with some unpaid debt and a full enjoyment of life. You know my answer. If life is an endless journey on Earth then money is definitely the only thing that matters. However, as we all will die sooner or later and there's no way to wire money into the other realm, I don't find the idea of accumulating unnecessary wealth as very appealing.

Sunshinegrl456, I say lets do it, darling! And see you in Cambridge!

That's true.. comparing Law school/ B school with Ed school is like comparing apples to oranges. HGSE is very well respected all around the world, certainly  where i come from. Law School and B school have their own charm but to a different set of people. HGSE is the hub of thought leaders in the field of learning and education, let's not discount that.

What we've got plenty are praying for...Anyway, am excited to join HGSE and looking forward to the Open House.  

Edited by askamy

Which is bull. Harvard should be able to fully fund all of its education students. Why on earth would someone willingly go $65,000 or more in debt for an M.Ed degree? Seems like the most you'd make coming out of that program is 50-60,000, and that's most likely in a major city where the cost of living is extremely high.

Why is it bull? Harvard is in the business of making money, not charity. 

Not sure how many people in here care, but Harvard is playing New Mexico tonight in the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament.

Game is televised on TNT @ 8:50 CST/9:50 EST.

I do, bro! [you are a bro, right?] Let's keep in touch coz it's hard to find guys at HGSE. We can do a bro down sometimes in Cambridge when Harvard plays Yale :D

I do, bro! [you are a bro, right?] Let's keep in touch coz it's hard to find guys at HGSE. We can do a bro down sometimes in Cambridge when Harvard plays Yale :D

Sure am, Brobama!

I'm watching the Bruins right now, then Harvard right after. B)

Sounds good, though! Just PM me or something.

The Harvard game might be ugly to watch, UNM is on fire this year. That being said I'll put on my Harvard hoodie for the game. Are there really not many of us guys at HGSE?

The Harvard game might be ugly to watch, UNM is on fire this year. That being said I'll put on my Harvard hoodie for the game. Are there really not many of us guys at HGSE?

It's like 75-80% chicks. lol

We'll stick out like sore thumbs.

The Harvard game might be ugly to watch, UNM is on fire this year. That being said I'll put on my Harvard hoodie for the game!
Sweatshirt on and will be screaming at the TV (after Scandal of course!)