Anyone else losing their damn mind?

gradorbust

Anybody else torturing themselves by searching for apartments and researching neighborhoods near schools they haven't been accepted to yet?

Oh goodness, no!  I made the mistake of doing this during my MA applications, and virtually had a placed all picked out at the program I really wanted to get into (and thought I definitely would get into)...it was all the more crushing when I got rejected. :(

As soon as I get an acceptance, though...you better believe I'll be all over that! :D

Anybody else torturing themselves by searching for apartments and researching neighborhoods near schools they haven't been accepted to yet?
Raises hand I have a family that includes a hubby and 2 kids. It doesn't help that hubby would be 20 miles closer to work if we move near the university, and my oldest could start kindergarten at a much better school. We could move anyways, but if I don't get accepted I will be applying for teaching jobs. So I need to be here at our current house until I know if/where I'm hired. It's not a huge issue, but just one more factor making the wait so hard.

Oh goodness, no!  I made the mistake of doing this during my MA applications, and virtually had a placed all picked out at the program I really wanted to get into (and thought I definitely would get into)...it was all the more crushing when I got rejected. :(

As soon as I get an acceptance, though...you better believe I'll be all over that! :D

This ^-^

Besides, nearly all of the schools I've applied to I'll be in university housing the first year. Not much choice in that.

Oh, yes.  It actually makes me feel less anxious about getting rejected because the cost of living is SO HIGH in some of the places, lol.  At least one positive will come from rejection at those awesome schools!  Ha.  I have even gotten to the point of looking at sub-lets for my husband in our current city in case our house sells early.  And, I haven't even gotten an acceptance yet... I'm a masochist.

Well, You are not going to believe this.  Talking about Cruel and Unusual.  Last night I said to myself, Tomorrow we will have a good phone call.  Guess what?  Today my phone rang and it said....wait for it...CUNY Graduate School.  I couldn't believe it.  My heart was in my throat.  Tears welled in my eyes.  Hello? I answered causally.  And it was my job.  There was no explanation of why it said CUNY Graduate School.  I even told her and she said, OH, that's odd.  I mean can you believe that?  My sister thinks they were trying to call at the exact time my job was calling me, but no one knows.  And I already emailed, so I am not going to call them about a mysterious call so they know for a fact I'm a nut.  I just can't believe how cruel life can be...CUNY Graduate School....

And just for a little icing on the cake, I looked at my application for the millionth time and were it says: FOR OFFICE USE ONLY, there is now a date in the date column, Jan 18th.  It wasn't there before, of that I am sure.  So it seems like someone is getting ready to enter information.  May God help me!

Well, You are not going to believe this.  Talking about Cruel and Unusual.  Last night I said to myself, Tomorrow we will have a good phone call.  Guess what?  Today my phone rang and it said....wait for it...CUNY Graduate School.  I couldn't believe it.  My heart was in my throat.  Tears welled in my eyes.  Hello? I answered causally.  And it was my job.  There was no explanation of why it said CUNY Graduate School.  I even told her and she said, OH, that's odd.  I mean can you believe that?  My sister thinks they were trying to call at the exact time my job was calling me, but no one knows.  And I already emailed, so I am not going to call them about a mysterious call so they know for a fact I'm a nut.  I just can't believe how cruel life can be...CUNY Graduate School....   And just for a little icing on the cake, I looked at my application for the millionth time and were it says: FOR OFFICE USE ONLY, there is now a date in the date column, Jan 18th.  It wasn't there before, of that I am sure.  So it seems like someone is getting ready to enter information.  May God help me!
That sounds like something that would happen to me. Ugh.

That sounds like something that would happen to me. Ugh.

Ugh.  A very poignant way to put it.  Why are we doing this to ourselves?  I told myself that I wouldn't check my application status again today, but I will. Alas...I will.

Ugh indeed.

I get a lot of out of town area codes on incoming calls on my cell phone, as it's also a work phone and our clients are mostly out of state and all over the country.  It's really maddening.

I got a call the other day and it totally sounded like it was going to be a school at first, but it turned out to be a very upbeat rep from my credit card company.

I went and made a list of all of the schools I'm applying to and their area codes, working on committing it to memory so I don't flip out in the future.  I'm going crazy.

Edited by jrockford27

Ugh. A very poignant way to put it. Why are we doing this to ourselves? I told myself that I wouldn't check my application status again today, but I will. Alas...I will.

Ugh indeed.

I guess I'm fortunate in that three of my schools don't even have a way to check status - I just have to wait. I've been far less prone to checking my status this year anyway, but if I got a call like that, I'd probably be in flip-out mode until I knew what it was about.

Edited by sansao

Anybody else torturing themselves by searching for apartments and researching neighborhoods near schools they haven't been acc epted to yet?

My husband is doing this for me! He's so excited about getting out of our current town. :-\ Edited by Angua

Agh, I just got an email alert on my phone, and the only part of the subject line that showed up was "Your applicatio..." and my heart fully stopped. But turns out the full subject line was 'Your applications are finally in, right?', and it was just an email from my godmother asking me when I'd hear back from schools. I love the woman, but I could have killed her. 

I should send a memo out to all my friends and family: "To prevent accidentally sending Allie into an unstoppable (and potentially homicidal) rage, do not use the words 'admission', 'application', 'rejection' or 'graduate school' in email subject lines from now until April 15th. Love you!"

Agh, I just got an email alert on my phone, and the only part of the subject line that showed up was "Your applicatio..." and my heart fully stopped. But turns out the full subject line was 'Your applications are finally in, right?', and it was just an email from my godmother asking me when I'd hear back from schools. I love the woman, but I could have killed her. 

I should send a memo out to all my friends and family: "To prevent accidentally sending Allie into an unstoppable (and potentially homicidal) rage, do not use the words 'admission', 'application', 'rejection' or 'graduate school' in email subject lines from now until April 15th. Love you!"

I heartily approve of this policy. My sister is studying abroad, and it seems like every one of her emails goes from "awesome things I'm doing" to "have you heard back from anywhere yet?" I'm happy that she's happy for me, but it isn't helping my stress levels.

Okay, just to add to the torture, because that is what we are doing, right?  You know where it says For Office Use Only Trok, on the application status page?  Does anyone else have a date in that field?  Like I said, it wasn't there before, but today the date of January 18th was entered.  Why?  It tells me someone is about to enter some more information.  It would be really helpful if someone could tell me if there is a date in that field or if it is completely blank.   

The soothing part is, I'm talking to a bunch of people who completely understand.  If I told this to anyone else their response would be: What are you a nut?

My response would be: Perhaps.  But I am now a nut who has a date, where there was no date before.

So how about it? Dates next to the For Office Use Only?

Uhh, yeah!! Is there anyone who isn't! Lol

Actually, I'm not. All but one of my schools are in very expensive places to live, so I find it too depressing to look at housing prices. I'd rather be in denial about that until AFTER I get an acceptance. Because I still want that acceptance.  :rolleyes:

Okay, just to add to the torture, because that is what we are doing, right?  You know where it says For Office Use Only Trok, on the application status page?  Does anyone else have a date in that field?  Like I said, it wasn't there before, but today the date of January 18th was entered.  Why?  It tells me someone is about to enter some more information.  It would be really helpful if someone could tell me if there is a date in that field or if it is completely blank.   

The soothing part is, I'm talking to a bunch of people who completely understand.  If I told this to anyone else their response would be: What are you a nut?

My response would be: Perhaps.  But I am now a nut who has a date, where there was no date before.

So how about it? Dates next to the For Office Use Only?

Mine is still blank, Eager! My fingers are crossed for you, I hope it means you hear (very) soon. Lucky you for being a nut who has a date! :P

Yep.  I lived in NYC for a while after high school/during my first attempts at undergrad (2001-2005) - rent was absurd, of course.  One of the great things about the Midwest is cheaper living!  It makes me happy to click around craigslist and see the low rates.  Thirty years of New York and New Jersey prices and I've had enough (well, for now).

- Karen

Mine is still blank, Eager! My fingers are crossed for you, I hope it means you hear (very) soon. Lucky you for being a nut who has a date! :P

God bless your soul for having mercy on me.  Yes.  I am  a nut with a date.  Maybe soon I'll be a nut with an acceptance!

Actually, I'm not. All but one of my schools are in very expensive places to live, so I find it too depressing to look at housing prices. I'd rather be in denial about that until AFTER I get an acceptance. Because I still want that acceptance.  :rolleyes:
Ugh! I understand Florida to Boston is like taking me mortgage x3 to get a place 1/3 the size! I've bookmarked all my favorite sites for later after my acceptance, including the local school systems, and the local newspaper!

I thoroughly expect to live on campus or in the ghetto wherever I go, at least until my partner can't find work. I do have a friend who might move with me to ease the burden.