Anyone else losing their damn mind?

gradorbust

Oh god, this. I didn't get a rejection yet, but one of my two top choices notified about the acceptances yesterday. And, yeah, I didn't get a phonecall.

<drama> Everything is over, and my life is ruined forever. </drama>

If it makes you feel any better, I received 2 rejections in 4 days last week, needless to say, I'm ready for this next week to be a better one.

Finding this forum and reading all these posts has made me realize that I'm not completely insane (or at least, if I am, I'm in good company). I think I'm starting to drive my friends and family crazy with this grad school anxiety. It creeps into almost every conversation I make with people, I check my phone and email constantly, and I go through the roof every time I get a call from an out of state/unknown number (telemarketers have become the bane of my existence). Gah! I just want to get one response so I can stop worrying. And my mood goes up and down from being excited about my prospects and wanting to know where I'll be accepted to and worrying about what happens if I don't get in. I'm an international student and have pretty much placed all my eggs in this basket, so the stakes are HIGH! 

Oceanography, why do you wait till mid-February to respond?!? 

As if my life wasn't stressful enough already...

My computer (Lily) had been on the fritz. Apparently it got a hugely nasty virus that knocked out my antivirus which then allowed it to get even MORE viruses. I took it to the free IT guys on campus and they worked for three hours with me to get my dissertation video sources off my desktop and then said "Yeah, we have no idea what is wrong or how to fix it. Take it to x." Well, that place charged 42 pounds an hour and there was no way I was going to pay that without knowing how many hours it would take. 

So I spent $300 more than I was expecting because of conversion rates, but I am sitting here with a brand new laptop. Sirius and I are getting acquainted and he hasn't decided to throw a fit at Windows 8. Which I have to admit is the weirdest thing ever but I kind of like it.

Anyone else name their computer?

I may as well drink the Kool-aid too :)

I just submitted my 2 of my applications yesterday! One was to my dream school, and it's been ONE day but from the gradcafe results search they got back to students in early March last year, my stomach's flipping already. I have to get my mind off of it, seriously and stop checking my email every 10 minutes. And I'm hoping I won't be too crushed if i just get ignored or flat out rejected :( We'll see though ... I'll keep ya'll posted ...

I may as well drink the Kool-aid too :)

I just submitted my 2 of my applications yesterday! One was to my dream school, and it's been ONE day but from the gradcafe results search they got back to students in early March last year, my stomach's flipping already. I have to get my mind off of it, seriously and stop checking my email every 10 minutes. And I'm hoping I won't be too crushed if i just get ignored or flat out rejected :( We'll see though ... I'll keep ya'll posted ...

I'm afraid to report that I have been more obsessive about results checking since coming to GradCafe, as it encourages the madness and keeps the matter always at the forefront of my mind. 

I'm afraid to report that I have been more obsessive about results checking since coming to GradCafe, as it encourages the madness and keeps the matter always at the forefront of my mind. 

Lawd, me too. I know it's probably not healthy for me to be checking results search (brings out the worst, doesn't it?) but at this point I can't help it haha. My programs are not very popular so I don't think I'll get as much useful information from it as opposed to, say, science or engineering applicants. But ah well.

You know what? I wish people could leave their contact info on there so we could harass them directly to see what their overall packages were like! I always feel a huge ughh come over me when I see someone has been accepted/rejected but I can't see their stats lol. I'll probably be posting my everything because if I DO get in somewhere with my wacko scores, I want to give people hope that they can too.

We're not judging ya, just curious ;)

PS - jmarti, Moscato for me please!

Edited by hopeful80

As I posted in another thread, I feel like I should buy everyone in here a bottle of wine (per week) until we hear back. The stress is just too much. 

I think I'd prefer chocolate, if it's all the same.  ^_^

Lawd, me too. I know it's probably not healthy for me to be checking results search (brings out the worst, doesn't it?) but at this point I can't help it haha. My programs are not very popular so I don't think I'll get as much useful information from it as opposed to, say, science or engineering applicants. But ah well.

I hear you on that. I was the very first one to post information on one of my programs, going all the way back to when the results started in 2006. Trust me, I checked!

If it makes you feel any better, I received 2 rejections in 4 days last week, needless to say, I'm ready for this next week to be a better one.

Oh, dear. I'm sorry to hear that. :(

Fingers crossed for a better week then, for both of us.

Not always, but it does seem to happen a lot, especially if schools fund your tuition instead of waiving it. It's cheaper to fund an in-state applicant than an out-of-state one. 
I got my MA from a state school and we had a couple out of staters who were classified as residents for tuition purposes, despite having just moved to the state. I'm not sure how it works or if its something all states do, but in some cases the school determines residency and can offer it as an incentive to attract qualified out of state students.

I got my MA from a state school and we had a couple out of staters who were classified as residents for tuition purposes, despite having just moved to the state. I'm not sure how it works or if its something all states do, but in some cases the school determines residency and can offer it as an incentive to attract qualified out of state students.

It varies a lot by state and school. I know some schools consider their TAs/RAs as state employees, so they automatically grant in-state and waive tuition. Others say they're ineligible for employee tuition waiver, but they may offer a waiver through the funding package. Still others charge the whole amount straight, but then provide funding to cover it. Those are just what I've encountered; I'm sure there are tons more variations, because anything dealing with money and higher education is convoluted and rarely logical.  ;)

Edited by RubyBright

I'm almost certain I'm not going to get accepted anywhere! I graduated from UC Berkeley in May, ended up with a 3.94 GPA and did an Honor's thesis, while my subject test score was only in the 80th percentile, I did really well in the Verbal section, scoring in the 96th percentile. Still, I have such a bad feeling and am feeling totally crazy and depressed. I need some news!

You know what? I wish people could leave their contact info on there so we could harass them directly to see what their overall packages were like! I always feel a huge ughh come over me when I see someone has been accepted/rejected but I can't see their stats lol. I'll probably be posting my everything because if I DO get in somewhere with my wacko scores, I want to give people hope that they can too.

We're not judging ya, just curious ;)

PS - jmarti, Moscato for me please!

I'm so stressed. Just cracked open a bottle of Pink Moscato. I'm pouring you and myself a glass right now.

Ahhh, application season...the time of the year where thousands of intellectuals submit applications into the unforgiving portal of the internet, only to wait for what feels like an eternity, often culminating in the desperate need for inebriation. yup, definitely been there, and only recently have I gotten a little relief. I'll drink a beer this beer in honor of our mutual frustrations, cheers friends

I'm drinking too. Every day I think >_< and yes I wake up every morning to check this

I have to drink every day if I want to survive this. I think February is such an unnecessary month... let's just skip straight to March.

I now hate weekends. They're the WORST because apparently school admissions committees take unnecessary two-day vacations. FML.

I can hardly begrudge them their weekends - especially since so many of the adcoms are full of already-busy professors. But a member of one of my adcoms is going on vacation. Legitimate, put-all-the-applications-on-hold-until-I-finish-beaching-it-up vacation.

I'm mostly amused by the irony of going on vacation in January/February, and thus interrupting the application review.

Edited by RubyBright