Anyone else losing their damn mind?

gradorbust

I'm so happy to have found this forum/thread! I'm going absolutely MAD whilst waiting, and it's sort of nice to know I'm not alone (not that I wish madness on anyone else, mind you). I would honestly be checking my application status online all the time if I could... (I really hope they don't log that information, come to think of it...)

I'm an Alum interviewer for prospective students...and let me tell you...sometimes it amazes me what pointless questions/responses some high school students provide. I had one student blow off my email till 1-2 days before the deadline. When I granted him the last minute interview he couldn't even answer "So why ____ University??"... When I asked what would you like the admissions committee to know about you that they won't be able to get from your application he replied, "That I'm cute, funny, and smart."...I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Its amazing how may kids have their parents do things for them. If only grad school worked that way lol. 

So back over the break I received several emails from X University Graduate Admissions. I would get all nervous and excited and click on the email... to discover a notice that the admissions department would be closed for the holidays, or a nice little note along the lines of "Did you know you can check your admission status online?" 

Yes, I know that! I've been doing it every five minutes since I submitted my application!

In all fairness, they were perfectly nice and helpful emails. :) They just happened to wrench my soul and contribute to early gray hairs. 

I dunno if you were talking about University of Minnesota but I definitely received similar emails every week or so from them for a while.  No big deal, just an occasional heart palpitation and mild panic attack.

ugh, my top choice sent emails like that, too! it's like, "yknow, favorite program, you're lucky i love you so much, because if i didn't, your buns would be toast."

..funny, because that's exactly what i catch myself saying to my dog and my significant other sometimes..

ugh, my top choice sent emails like that, too! it's like, "yknow, favorite program, you're lucky i love you so much, because if i didn't, your buns would be toast."

..funny, because that's exactly what i catch myself saying to my dog and my significant other sometimes..

I gave my boyfriend the enviable news that, though he hasn't had the chance to watch as an uninvolved participant while I was infatuated with someone, he now gets to watch the craziness and word-by-word analyses of messages from the academic apples of my eye.

Dang, that stings. Wrong time for a wrong number
My nephew who lives in Boston called, needless to say he had a new number that didn't show in our phone. Talk about heart palpitations! Too bad he was calling to wish my mom in law a Happy Birthday!
I know a few people whose siblings are applying to undergrad right now. They're freaking out. They make me laugh, and laugh...
My daughter's friends are freaking out about applying to Community College! I could just....

I was waiting in the doctor's office yesterday for an hour and a half, getting increasingly sleepier and sicker feeling and thinking about how phone calls were going out to accepted students at one of my programs. Then I swear I heard my phone buzz... I dived for it so fast! Unfortunately there was nothing there - I must have been hallucinating. The damn phantom buzz! :P

Edited by iphi

I also help high school students apply for college. It amazes me how worried/not worried they are. Several kids are just like oh I'll go to this college, the college will accept me because I want to go there, what do you mean did I turn in an application?.....

I swear I've had at least two conversations like this with seniors in the past week. 

... When I asked what would you like the admissions committee to know about you that they won't be able to get from your application he replied, "That I'm cute, funny, and smart."...I couldn't believe what I was hearing...

Uhm. So... [uses a toe to push some dirt around]... you're saying I shouldn't have put this in my graduate applications??

The zen is gone. Had an interview last week and was basically told that the department has refered me for admissions, BUT you never know what might happen. AHHHHHH! Also, there's no way I can go if I have to pay full freight and POI said he's got no funding right now. AHHHHHHHH!

I teach my classes half heartedly and check the 'net for any clue about change in admissions status. My only comfort is that history shows I'll know by the end of this month.

This morning I was randomly checking the website for international students that I'm subscribed to (where all info on grants, scholarships, internships etc is listed) and ended up applying to yet another grad school :)

It's in the UK, not in the US, and I have to say that the application process is WAY easier there! Let me just say that I was able to copy and paste the LORs by myself without bothering my referees, they didn't need my TOEFL score sent directly from ETS (at least for now), so I completed the whole application in less than an hour! AND there was no application fee whatsoever! Plus, after submitting it I received an e-mail saying that the adcom will review my application within 7 (s e v e n) days. 

So now I'm thinking: are such kind of miracles even possible? :D

Edited by Catherine_Kiev

I think a couple of acceptances would do you some good. ;)

Time to nominate Michelle as our official Chairperson of Positivity & Mascot of Smiles!

'red wine and sleeping pills... ' :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Not certain if this is meant to ease the suffering, or end the suffering?

I put it in mine.  I said I'm a ball of love and snuggles.  That'll get 'em.

this makes me feel a lot better about adding "10/10 chocolate chip banana bread" to my skills on my resume. 

only adding to the madness of my impatient mind: my significant other has 6 tentative summer temp job offers on the table and 1 tentative permanent job interview (prestigious group in his line of work, only hires every few years, etc.), while a handful of my job apps have only just moved onto the next selection round. he thought he wasn't going to get a job because of an injury; i thought i was set because i've got a lot more experience under my belt. argh. 

certainly takes a lot of weight off my back knowing he's set for this season, but semi-big decisions down the road for both of us -- together and individually -- are not helping my blood pressure or sanity right now. can't the forest service just send me an email to the tune of "omg ur so kewl! lol! here's a job, take our monies"? that's how it works, right?

I've been trolling these forums for the past... week? (Wow. Exactly a week today. It feels a lot longer than that, when you're here everyday). 

I started my grad school process in fall of 2012. Finished all my applications in December and then sent them off on their merry way. I was living my life, working and really, doing JUST FINE. Content with the idea of waiting until, March? For most, if not all my decisions. 

...And then... I had an interview. And the flood gates opened and I've been anxious and obsessive since. AH!

Glad to know I'm not alone :) . Thanks for sharing, everyone! 

Edited by TippyGradHopeful

I've been trolling these forums for the past... week? (Wow. Exactly a week today. It feels a lot longer than that, when you're here everyday). 

I started my grad school process in fall of 2012. Finished all my applications in December and then sent them off on their merry way. I was living my life, working and really, doing JUST FINE. Content with the idea of waiting until, March? For most, if not all my decisions. 

...And then... I had an interview. And the flood gates opened and I've been anxious and obsessive since. AH!

Glad to know I'm not alone :) . Thanks for sharing, everyone! 

Yeah, I've been anxious ever since I heard one of my friends has already started hearing admissions answers. It is a different program but still.....it sets you off. I think that might be the case with most people. You're carrying on with your merry self and then some event just flips a switch.