Anyone else losing their damn mind?

gradorbust

Just received my first rejection today... and it was for a program I thought that I really had a chance at. It's making me feel incredibly hopeless at this point that I will not get into any of my other programs.Ā  :(Ā What a sad, disappointing start to the weekend.

Ā 

Have a hug, Tippy! I feel the same.

Just received my first rejection today... and it was for a program I thought that I really had a chance at. It's making me feel incredibly hopeless at this point that I will not get into any of my other programs. :( What a sad, disappointing start to the weekend.

Maybe Monday will be better for you, or maybe you'll get one of those unexpected weekend acceptances. :)

I had the longest day of interviews of my life at visitation today. Almost 10 hours, non-stop, except for lunch, when I talked with the program director. So exhausted.

Edited by sansao

Maybe Monday will be better for you, or maybe you'll get one of those unexpected weekend acceptances. :)

I had the longest day of interviews of my life at visitation today. Almost 10 hours, non-stop, except for lunch, when I talked with the program director. So exhausted.

Ā 

Thanks for the optimistic thoughts, much appreciated! Good luck with your programs, long day but hopefully well worth it.Ā 

Just received my first rejection today... and it was for a program I thought that I really had a chance at. It's making me feel incredibly hopeless at this point that I will not get into any of my other programs.Ā  :(Ā What a sad, disappointing start to the weekend.

Ā 

This was me a week ago, and this is me now.

So, CT, MA, and RI are effectively shut down at the moment due to the blizzard. Ā Roads aren't open (at least, in CT). Ā  I'm sure this will impact notifications from schools in these states! Ā How are people doing? Ā Over 2 feet here in the Hartford area.Ā 

I wouldn't expect to hear anything from VT, NH, or ME either, postal service has been suspended to all of New England. While most announcements aren't coming via USPS these days, if the postal works get to stay home I doubt much work is getting done elsewhere.

I'm not sure if the driving ban in MA has been lifted yet. We have 4-5 foot drifts in the city, so even if it is, I don't imagine too many people are eager to try it out; none of the side roads in Boston have been cleared, so I can't even imagine what the 'burbs look like. The T also suspended service today (if there are more than 100 people at the Bruins game tonight I will be shocked).

Ā 

Personally, it is incredibly likely I will be working from home on Monday, so it's anyone's guess how long this could hold things up.

So I freaked and couldn't remember if one of the universities i applied to had all my transcripts. So I called to check and they confirmed. Before they hung up they told me that I would have a decision next week. 3 hours later I got denied on there website......

Ā 

what school was this, may i ask?

one day last week i checked the "results" page on grad cafe and saw that several posts listed "ACCEPTED via email" to one of my top choices.Ā  Well, I immediately checked my email and there it was.....an email notification from the same school!Ā  I was so excited and already set in my mind that i would be receiving an acceptance. it was now just a question of how much funding (if any).Ā  i opened the email.Ā  it directed me toward the pdf attached below.Ā  i clicked on it, and to my horror it was a rejection!Ā  i sat at my desk in a state of confusion for about 10 seconds.Ā  then i re-checked gradcafe "results" to make sure i hadn't imagined what i saw earlier.Ā  i hadn't.

Ā 

-perplexed in ohio

warning - long story

Ā 

another moment of uncertainty:

Ā 

after returning home from doing a bit of grocery shopping, i checked my phone because i suddenly realized i had the ringer turned off.Ā  there was a voice message; it was from the dgs at one of my reach schools.Ā  however, the dgs was not from the program to which i applied.Ā  it was from a dept. i indicated interest in for a combined degree.Ā  the dgs said there was a question about my application.Ā  she sent me an email relaying the same information in her phone message.Ā 

Ā 

since being admitted to this school was far above my most optimistic expectations, i took the messages in stride.Ā  i delayed my call back untll the next morning and informed the dgs -via email - i would call her at that time.Ā  meanwhile, i called my mentor and we went back and forth about the possible reasons for her call: 1) an admin question 2) more info about my interest in the program 3) info on possible advisors.Ā  the assumed rationale for the call, in the words of my mentor, "they would not have called if they were not interested".Ā 

Ā 

hmmmmm....i thought....could it be A. my program of choice does not want me and so they farmed me out to this other department B. since i expressed interest in this other department, my application is automatically reviewed by it, regardless of whether my program of choice wants me or not; or C. my program of choice wants me and now i am being considered for the combined program, to boot!

Ā 

i re-read my application, researched additional information about the department (including the dgs), and rehearsed answers to possible questions, WHEW!Ā  well, next morning, i promptly called the dgs at 8:30am.Ā  to my chagrin, she just wanted to confirm that i meant to check the box on my application for consideration to the combined degree program.Ā  I answered "yes".Ā  she revealed to me the department just received my application (along with 14 others), and she was calling all 15 applicants to make certain they wanted to be considered for the program.Ā  apparently there was some glitch in the application software that only recently allowed the department to view this choice indicated by applicants.Ā  The conversation lasted exactly one minute.Ā  I feel like Mrs. Magoo.

I was browsing through the results search from last year and realized that one of my schools informed applicants of their decisions one year ago to the day.

Ā 

Cue the freaking out. Knowing that it's coming up soon has me refreshing my e-mail like a mad woman. I'm almost scared I'm going to break it...

According to the schedule Northwestern sent me, the campus visit will include 6 back to back 30 minute interviews, with each of the musicology in turn. That sounds pretty intense and I am both excited and incredibly nervous about this visit.

I am iphi and I am losing my damn mind! I was rejected from the first school I heard back from on Friday. :( And I've been cleaning the house all weekend because ....... my SO and I are hosting a prospective grad student! SO is a grad student already at a great university, so we're having someone stay with us while he does his interviews, etc. I must say I'm a little envious. Good news is that prospies who stay with us have always gotten in! Still, doesn't help my own nerves.

Ā 

Good luck to all the interviewees!

Edited by iphi

Contacting schools seems to be the kiss of death, I've read a lot of posts lately where people have called/emailed admissions and within hours receive a rejection, I emailed a school 2 weeks ago, received the rejection the next day. Safe to say I will NOT be contacting any more admissions people

I got a rejection email 2 weeks ago on a saturday morning, but this seems to be unusual. check the database for last years results, then compare those dates from last year's calendar, seems like most decisions come on work weekdays

I got a rejection email 2 weeks ago on a saturday morning, but this seems to be unusual. check the database for last years results, then compare those dates from last year's calendar, seems like most decisions come on work weekdays

Ā 

That's what I thought. Sometimes the results database seems to lag a little, since it is user submitted info. I read acceptances posted on Saturdays or even in the evenings, and wonder if they were delayed in posting their results.Ā 

Contacting schools seems to be the kiss of death, I've read a lot of posts lately where people have called/emailed admissions and within hours receive a rejection, I emailed a school 2 weeks ago, received the rejection the next day. Safe to say I will NOT be contacting any more admissions people

Ā 

Are you proposing that the call was a reason for rejection ? :-/

Ā 

I think you were already rejected, and your call just expedited the process of you finding out. And that's why I really appreciate "asking them" instead of carrying that false hope along the road.

Edited by Radian

According to the schedule Northwestern sent me, the campus visit will include 6 back to back 30 minute interviews, with each of the musicology in turn. That sounds pretty intense and I am both excited and incredibly nervous about this visit.

Hang in there!Ā  I just got back from my Princeton interview trip, and it was six 20-minute interviews.Ā  It's shocking how quickly they'll go by.Ā  Just relax, and remember that they're not only interviewing you, but you're also there to interview them and find out more about the program. :) Good luck!