Anyone else losing their damn mind?

gradorbust

No, I didn't mean the call caused it, that would be crazy! :) A phone call might irritate them, but by know means would it sway a different decision. I've been superstitious lately, Im scared to call/email!!

No, I didn't mean the call caused it, that would be crazy! :) A phone call might irritate them, but by know means would it sway a different decision. I've been superstitious lately, Im scared to call/email!!

Yeah I do totally understand how you feel. But thinking about it from a logical point of view it not only doesn't hurt but also cause a mental relief.

one really can't move on or make other plans as long as he/she is carrying that false hope.

It resembles a painkiller which only suppress the pain without curing the cause. 

Edited by Radian

I am iphi and I am losing my damn mind! I was rejected from the first school I heard back from on Friday. :( And I've been cleaning the house all weekend because ....... my SO and I are hosting a prospective grad student! SO is a grad student already at a great university, so we're having someone stay with us while he does his interviews, etc. I must say I'm a little envious. Good news is that prospies who stay with us have always gotten in! Still, doesn't help my own nerves.

Good luck to all the interviewees!

If prospies that stay with you always get in, then it must mean that you've built up a lot of good luck from living there full time!  :)

Do applicants actually hear from schools at night/on the weekend?

Yes, my acceptance was added to the school's admission check page somewhere around 10 p.m.

Yeah I do totally understand how you feel. But thinking about it from a logical point of view it not only doesn't hurt but also cause a mental relief.   one really can't move on or make other plans as long as he/she is carrying that false hope.   It resembles a painkiller which only suppress the pain without curing the cause. 
I like pain killers! :) lol false hope is still hope, and it feels good! :) (though I understand your viewpoint) :)

To those waiting; I was hopeless after getting a rejection as my first notification. After this I really felt like I wasn't qualified for any of the other programs, and that I was in over my head for even applying. 

This morning I received something unexpected; an acceptance from a better program with a graduate assistantship! 

So keep your heads up, good news will come your way soon enough.

Edited by stillalivetui

To those waiting; I was hopeless after getting a rejection as my first notification. After this I really felt like I wasn't qualified for any of the other programs, and that I was in over my head for even applying. 

This morning I received something unexpected; an acceptance from a better program with a graduate assistantship! 

So keep your heads up, good news will come your way soon enough.

Congrats, and thanks for sharing the hope! :)

I made a filter in my email account to forward anything that included the word "Congratulations" to my phone (because I don't have a smart phone of course). Today I received two. 

"--My Name--, Congratulations on earning your Bachelor of Science diploma from --my undergrad that I graduated from 2 years ago...---....etc etc. Buy our beautiful hand crafted frames to put it in!" .

The second was the same email for my Bachelor of Arts diploma. 

-_- 

Expletive, expletive, expletive.

btw, does it creep anyone else out when someone threatens a program or writes that they'll regret not admitting the person? 

immensely. so glad i'm not the only one who's weirded out by those kinds of results postings..

it also really ticks me off when people flaunt their "accomplishments" in the details section, despite getting waitlisted or rejected, then make some sideways comment that implies the program made the wrong choice, or they (the applicant) are incapable of being a less-than-perfect fit. not to sound like a jerk.. but what's the point of bragging about your gpa, number of pubs, etc. when it has little to do with the fact that you weren't accepted? to stroke your own ego? to downplay the school's decision? talk about intense entitlement. woof.

immensely. so glad i'm not the only one who's weirded out by those kinds of results postings..

it also really ticks me off when people flaunt their "accomplishments" in the details section, despite getting waitlisted or rejected, then make some sideways comment that implies the program made the wrong choice, or they (the applicant) are incapable of being a less-than-perfect fit. not to sound like a jerk.. but what's the point of bragging about your gpa, number of pubs, etc. when it has little to do with the fact that you weren't accepted? to stroke your own ego? to downplay the school's decision? talk about intense entitlement. woof.

Ahhhh, I hate that, too -- here people list how awesome they are to imply that it's completely absurd that they were rejected. It makes me wonder if they had an interview where they gave off that sense of entitlement and that's why they didn't get in.

Ahhhh, I hate that, too -- here people list how awesome they are to imply that it's completely absurd that they were rejected. It makes me wonder if they had an interview where they gave off that sense of entitlement and that's why they didn't get in.

Ha ha!  Exactly.  Or maybe the arrogance came through in their SOP, or something.  In any case, I find comments like that on the results board incredibly bitter and petty.

They certainly don't attest to the applicant's maturity and emotional preparedness for graduate studies.  Knowing how often we will all face possible rejections in the future (post-acceptance to MA/PhD program) - whether because of grant/fellowship proposals, publications, conferences, post-docs, and/or the job market - a healthier attitude toward the word "no" would seem to be in order. :)

The thing is, I told my family that of course I would be disappointed if I wasn't accepted anywhere, but it isn't exactly an insult at this level, per se. I mean, assuming there isn't some glaring problem in your application, it's just that someone else was the better fit. They're not telling you you're a bad applicant. This isn't undergrad, where they can take all (or most) of the good applicants. It's more like a job opening, where you're competing with other highly qualified individuals for a single spot, and there really isn't shame in not getting it. That's why you apply multiple places.

Though I haven't done so myself, I do see some benefit in folks posting this kind of info on rejections and such. And if they make a sideways comment to blow off steam I just look at it as exactly that. We're all carrying a mountain of stress around and if expressing a bit of frustration/anger/disappointment under the umbrella of anonymity in a little online forum gives some relief I say go for it. It's better than pounding back a fifth and going for a drive.

And as it pertains to the benefit of accomplishments posted with rejections, it helps me get an idea of just how thick the competition for a program is. Yes, it's heavy everywhere for everything, and there are factors (SoP, LoC, etc) not related to stats that contribute. But, if I see a bunch of folks getting rejected for a program I applied to that have publications and conference presentations and master's degrees and great numbers then I know it must have been damn hard to get in and either I feel really good about still being in the running or less bad that I got knocked out.

Edited by Vincenzo

I just had a wave of relief wash over me.

University of South Carolina still listed my application as incomplete, as it said I was missing one LOR. I had sent that particular letter back in November, so it was really making me nervous (the deadline was February 1). I called the Graduate School and it turns out they had my letter in some file for people who never actually apply. Luckily, they will count the letter as before the deadline since it was there in November.

I am so happy that I am neurotic enough to keep following up.  :)

Though I haven't done so myself, I do see some benefit in folks posting this kind of info on rejections and such. And if they make a sideways comment to blow off steam I just look at it as exactly that. We're all carrying a mountain of stress around and if expressing a bit of frustration/anger/disappointment under the umbrella of anonymity in a little online forum gives some relief I say go for it. It's better than pounding back a fifth and going for a drive.

And as it pertains to the benefit of accomplishments posted with rejections, it helps me get an idea of just how thick the competition for a program is. Yes, it's heavy everywhere for everything, and there are factors (SoP, LoC, etc) not related to stats that contribute. But, if I see a bunch of folks getting rejected for a program I applied to that have publications and conference presentations and master's degrees and great numbers then I know it must have been damn hard to get in and either I feel really good about still being in the running or less bad that I got knocked out.

Some people are bitter, and say things they shouldn't, but I agree that posting stats helps the rest of us get a better idea of what we are up against. Of course, I write music, which is completely subjective. Nonetheless. if someone posts how many publications, awards etc they have, and STILL get rejected, then it helps the rest of us realize just how competitive this process is, and it also is a reminder that stats don't matter nearly as much as how we FIT into a potential program. There are rock stars out there getting rejected because they don't fit into the program they applied to.

Some people are bitter, and say things they shouldn't, but I agree that posting stats helps the rest of us get a better idea of what we are up against. Of course, I write music, which is completely subjective. Nonetheless. if someone posts how many publications, awards etc they have, and STILL get rejected, then it helps the rest of us realize just how competitive this process is, and it also is a reminder that stats don't matter nearly as much as how we FIT into a potential program. There are rock stars out there getting rejected because they don't fit into the program they applied to.

That is, if the stats being reported are true. I see stats sometimes that truly don't make any sense to me (in my program, at least). Not all self-reported information is true, no matter how much they'd like it to be.  :)

That is, if the stats being reported are true. I see stats sometimes that truly don't make any sense to me (in my program, at least). Not all self-reported information is true, no matter how much they'd like it to be.  :)

This is true. I'm sure there are plenty of people who "exaggerate" their stats

I really love this forum! Most of the people here applied later in the year and you guys are freaking out! I applied 9/26/2012 (as soon as the forms were online, in case you are wondering) and I have not heard a peep from any of the schools! But reading the posts everyday tells me that I am not as crazy as I once thought! Good to know I am in the RIGHT place. Let's rant on!

I couldn't imagine waiting since September! Then again, it may have been easier to forget about it if I could've applied that early. Applying right before the deadlines created even more suspense!!