Anyone else losing their damn mind?

gradorbust

UT Austin is open. They give us a lot of our federal holidays during Winter Break.

This is the stretch that sucks the most actually - there are no holidays between MLK Jr. Day in January and Memorial Day at the end of May.

So I took a break from gradcafe but I'm back!

I find out of I get into my dream college in 2-3 weeks :( needless to say I've been having sleepness nights and stomach pains, it's SO STRESSFUL, and I don't want to be devastated if I don't get in, but at the same time I'm preparing myself for the worst.

Is it possible for a college to not even let you know if you are rejected? Sigh ... that would be the horrible. Especially after all that money I paid.

I'll have to wait TWO WEEKS to hear back from Northwestern after the on campus interview. Maybe it'll take less time? This is even more grueling than waiting to hear about interviews/admissions. Especially since after the visit, I really want to go there.

Grad cafe chatter suggests that my top choice is sending out decisions this week, which depresses me. I'm fairly sure I'm rejected. I had an interview visit  at another school this past weekend and I know that they have another interview weekend coming up in 2 weeks, so I suspect they won't send out decisions until all that is done so I have a while to wait. I suspect that this school might be the only one that I still might get into (outside of the one that I was already admitted to, which, after much consideration, I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't attend if it were my only choice, I would take another year) so I think these next few weeks will be rough as rejections trickle in, without any option already in my pocket. 

I know the admissions committee from a school I interviewed with is meeting today and we'll be notified via phone this week as to our status. My phone rings, don't know the number, same area code as the school and it's a home improvement company following up on a quote they gave me LAST MARCH! Seriously? 40 minutes later and I think my heart is still in my throat.

It's President's Day today in the US, right? I'm assuming admission departments off... Should I reduce refreshing my email inbox to once every 15 minutes as opposed to once every 5 minutes? :-S

Pretty sure most university's are still open -- at least here in Florida they are. However, most public schools (primary and secondary) are closed. I've reduced my email check to every three hours. In all honesty, I'm hoping to see my phone ring with a random number rather than seeing my email present with new mail. lol.

lol, that was funny.  This has got to be waay worse than waiting for that guy who took your number and said he was going to call to finally call.  But seriously...that has got to be an agonizing wait. I think I'd prefer to get a decision in the mail.

I know the admissions committee from a school I interviewed with is meeting today and we'll be notified via phone this week as to our status. My phone rings, don't know the number, same area code as the school and it's a home improvement company following up on a quote they gave me LAST MARCH! Seriously? 40 minutes later and I think my heart is still in my throat.

I'm waiting for a call too (from the dream school). A blocked number called me today...it was an insurance company telling me "we are aware you had an accident in the last six months". I haven't. I swore.

If I see an American phone number come up, I'm likely to scream my office down.

I work at an American university and there's no holiday here for us. Disappointed that I can't check my mailbox when I get home though.

Going crazy here! I went to an all expenses paid recruitment event last weekend. They said they'd let us know in mid-march, and I've already lost it! I sent a thank you to the chair of the department, and she replied with this:

"So good to hear from you.  I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your time here at XXXXXX.  We certainly enjoyed having you here!

Thank you for your nice note and I look forward to seeing you again."

Could it be more cryptic? Just tell me already!

I'm discovering that being on a waitlist is actually worse than not hearing anything about your status. Now I'm wondering how long it will take the admitted students to send back their decisions... and I'm assuming they won't do so until they hear from THEIR schools. So now I'm wondering which schools they might have applied to... how likely they are to be accepted to those other schools (not to mention when they'll hear from them)... how likely they are to choose those schools over my school... aaaaaaaaaaaargh. 

I work at an American university and there's no holiday here for us. Disappointed that I can't check my mailbox when I get home though.

Going crazy here! I went to an all expenses paid recruitment event last weekend. They said they'd let us know in mid-march, and I've already lost it! I sent a thank you to the chair of the department, and she replied with this:

"So good to hear from you.  I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your time here at XXXXXX.  We certainly enjoyed having you here!

I did this after my visit and got no response :(

I'll have to wait TWO WEEKS to hear back from Northwestern after the on campus interview. Maybe it'll take less time? This is even more grueling than waiting to hear about interviews/admissions. Especially since after the visit, I really want to go there.

Oh man, I feel you hiroshiman.  Princeton told me they'd let me know two weeks after my interview, so I'm sitting here desperately refreshing in hopes they'll tell me sooner rather than later.  If they don't let me in now I'll be devastated. D:

Edited by kyjin

I did this after a visit as well - although I waited a couple weeks to read the material they'd recommended & start a new course in a foreign language they mentioned would be extraordinarily helpful.

Zero response.  Definitely makes me nervous that I didn't make a good impression - and I still have another three weeks or so until I can expect a decision.

I did this after a visit as well - although I waited a couple weeks to read the material they'd recommended & start a new course in a foreign language they mentioned would be extraordinarily helpful.

Zero response.  Definitely makes me nervous that I didn't make a good impression - and I still have another three weeks or so until I can expect a decision.

I did this after my visit and got no response :(

I sent messages to 5 different professors after my visit, only 2 of them responded. I don't think it's a bad sign, they probably just hesitate to communicate too much with you before a decision is made. 

I thought I was going crazy before, but now I KNOW I am. A school with a later deadline than mine is already reporting back... do they want me to lose it?

The school with the latest deadline out of the ones I applied to has already contacted me about an unofficial acceptance while I havent heard anything from schools that had deadlines 2 months prior.  So you arent alone.

Is it possible for a college to not even let you know if you are rejected? Sigh ... that would be the horrible. Especially after all that money I paid.

Unfortunately, yes.  It happened to me last year.  I knew informally that I was on a waitlist, but no formal email or rejection letter ever showed up, and I continued to get emails about my financial aid status well into September.  It was horrible.  :(

I'm discovering that being on a waitlist is actually worse than not hearing anything about your status. Now I'm wondering how long it will take the admitted students to send back their decisions... and I'm assuming they won't do so until they hear from THEIR schools. So now I'm wondering which schools they might have applied to... how likely they are to be accepted to those other schools (not to mention when they'll hear from them)... how likely they are to choose those schools over my school... aaaaaaaaaaaargh. 

Oh man, that would be rough! So many variables and potential outcomes to consider! I feel like you could make a really good Doctor Who episode out of this, though: parallel worlds rifting off with each acceptance and decision of the other students out there, and you in the middle, trying to see it all and master the (your) universe. 

Or maybe I've been watching too much Doctor Who.

Oh man, that would be rough! So many variables and potential outcomes to consider! I feel like you could make a really good Doctor Who episode out of this, though: parallel worlds rifting off with each acceptance and decision of the other students out there, and you in the middle, trying to see it all and master the (your) universe. 

Or maybe I've been watching too much Doctor Who.

Doctor Who: the graduate school edition!

Definitely starting to lose it. All of my programs had very early deadlines, and based on the results page, no one else has heard back from them either. I called one of them to double check today, and was told decisions will be available at the END of March at the earliest.

I need a hobby.

As I posted on the history forum, I've just started telling myself that I'm going to take $100k out in loans and just do it, because I can't stand not continuing in the fall.  Just can't.  I haven't lost all hope for funding, but the wait is making me stir crazy.