Anyone else losing their damn mind?

gradorbust

I got rejected today from my dream school after I had an interview. Cried for 3 hours and ate everything in my apartment. I'm still kind of in shock and afraid to wake up tomorrow and realize this is still my reality. Now I am worried about my interview next weekend because it makes me want to get in so badly, but I am terrified of feeling good about an interview again and getting rejected.

I got rejected today from my dream school after I had an interview. Cried for 3 hours and ate everything in my apartment. I'm still kind of in shock and afraid to wake up tomorrow and realize this is still my reality. Now I am worried about my interview next weekend because it makes me want to get in so badly, but I am terrified of feeling good about an interview again and getting rejected.

Awww, cheer up! Just because you got rejected from one school does not mean you are going to get rejected from them all. Instead, use this next interview as an opportunity. Who knows? Maybe this next school is actually your dream school. You know, it's kind of funny how we go through this process. I feel like it's really easy for our "dream schools" and schools lower on our list to change places. I don't know whether you believe everything happens for a reason, but I do. I truly think we will all be in the right place come fall.

Just think, this makes your choice easier :). Good luck on your interview!

Awww, cheer up! Just because you got rejected from one school does not mean you are going to get rejected from them all. Instead, use this next interview as an opportunity. Who knows? Maybe this next school is actually your dream school. You know, it's kind of funny how we go through this process. I feel like it's really easy for our "dream schools" and schools lower on our list to change places. I don't know whether you believe everything happens for a reason, but I do. I truly think we will all be in the right place come fall.

Just think, this makes your choice easier :). Good luck on your interview!

All day I have been thinking that I wished I believed everything happened for a reason. Unfortunately, I don't because I am an atheist and everything happening for a reason implies that there is some greater plan for my life.

I just keep telling myself I will eventually look back on this and see it as a good thing because most people don't have counterfactuals that leave them feeling negative for the long term (social cog for the win).

So I know it will get better, and there is nothing I can do now, so I just have to move on.

Absolutely!  What will it be? :)

I'm thinking a weekend away in a nice hotel somewhere just far enough from home that I don't accidentally bump into someone I know.

I'm thinking a weekend away in a nice hotel somewhere just far enough from home that I don't accidentally bump into someone I know.

oh man, i know that feeling.. i'm taking my vacation right after 4/15. my better half and i are going backpacking through the "green" trinity alps for a week (fresh fish and rice for dinner every night? not a soul in sight? subalpine lakes so blue they make you wince when it's sunny out? yes please!), then wrapping it up with some bluegrass and friends at the mountain i've been riding all season. april can't come fast enough for so, so many reasons!

also congrats bedmas!! let the tears of joy flow!

Hey Catherine,

I had something similar happen with one of my schools- I got a mailed letter on Saturday from the Grad School, and an email from the department this morning.  If you're anxious, it should be all right to contact the graduate coordinator at your department and ask for more info.  Or you could very reasonably wait a day or two- sometimes it takes that long for things to fall in synch.

Good luck!

Hey, thank you for the answer! I've calmed down since yesterday and just going to wait patiently for further information:)

So, I posted this question in another thread, but it might be better off being posed here. I received my first acceptance and am waiting to hear from several others. It has been about 5 weeks since my applications were finished. Should I email.get in contact with the other schools? 

No, and try not to stress, you already have an acceptance in hand!

Your discipline may be different, but the programs I applied to posted 6-10 week response times on average, and you're not even to the short end of that minimum yet. The schools I applied to with deadlines between Jan. 1 and Feb. 1 traditionally don't start notifying until the first week of March. Like I said, this may just be a humanities thing, but if I were you I would just focus on my acceptance for now and give schools another couple weeks before you reach out.

At this time last year, several of the schools I applied to this cycle had already started notifying students.  This year, only one of the schools I applied to has started notifying candidates.  I haven't heard anything and i've quickly descended from a semi-detached, normally functioning person to a nervous, glass-is-empty-and-has-a-hole-at-the-bottom mental case.

Watching the attached video made me (temporarily) lighten up and actually laugh out loud, so I'll share it with you.  Good luck and best wishes to everyone still waiting!!

http://www.happyplace.com/21676/flailing-man-protects-car-from-hail-storm

All day I have been thinking that I wished I believed everything happened for a reason. Unfortunately, I don't because I am an atheist and everything happening for a reason implies that there is some greater plan for my life.

I just keep telling myself I will eventually look back on this and see it as a good thing because most people don't have counterfactuals that leave them feeling negative for the long term (social cog for the win).

So I know it will get better, and there is nothing I can do now, so I just have to move on.

That is unfortunate. I got rejected from everything last year, but I am soooo happy about it because now I actually know what my real interests are, and have much better opportunities this year as a result. Besides, you don't have to believe everything happens for a reason, even if you aren't atheist.

If you are calling to find out when you can expect a decision, there is probably no real harm in doing that. However, if you are only calling to find out whether you're admitted, ya good luck with that. :blink:

It would be rare to be told your status before they have completed their process. The only time I've heard about people finding out over the phone is when decisions have already been mailed out but for whatever reason they hadn't received theirs yet.

Try your best to be patient. I think we can all relate to how you may be feeling. But you dont want to risk getting on a school's radar for being impatient...seriously, dont be *that* guy! :ph34r:

So, I posted this question in another thread, but it might be better off being posed here. I received my first acceptance and am waiting to hear from several others. It has been about 5 weeks since my applications were finished. Should I email.get in contact with the other schools? 

So I have a question. 

After I interviewed with a program I sent out thank you notes to the professors who interviewed with me. One of them responded back with "Let me know if I can help you in your decision process"

Is this a good sign or just a cordial response?

No, but here's another cog for the win -- truly, there are two sides to the coin.  It's like picking a dance partner -- just because they didn't pick you, it doesn't mean you are not awesome, it means they prefer interpretive and you are a ballerina.   It could be that they caught the difference, and figured it wouldn't be a good match.  You just set it up as your dream match, because you might have been missing several bits of data.

Personally, the above is my favorite schema of the day hahahaha.

Also, it could be that they held the spot for the 3rd cousin of the prince of Aklabeckiztanianan and they just didn't have enough room for you after that.  You could be missing out on the best experience of your life, but really, it is statistically way more likely that there are several opportunities for you to have your dream experience, and not just the one.   It's not just that people have cognitions that lead them to believe their previous choice sucked, it's that quite often they look back and can see they had a great experience despite that things didn't go as they planned.

You will do great in your future interviews! (See -- reinforcement, if I believe you will do better, you will ALSO believe you will do better ha)

Edited by Goobah

I know exactly how you feel...I seem to be getting a little less sane each day. I have picked up a bunch of random hobbies with the hope that one of them will distract me enough to actually enjoy myself for five minutes anxiety free! No such luck thus far. It has been a little over a month since my first application deadline and I can't stop questioning EVERY little detail of my application. People keep telling me to relax until March, but I still feel like I am going to jump out of my skin every time I get a new email. 

Good luck and I hope everyone who hasn't heard starts hearing back soon! This process is definitely a test of your mental fortitude!

If you are calling to find out when you can expect a decision, there is probably no real harm in doing that. However, if you are only calling to find out whether you're admitted, ya good luck with that. :blink:

At the risk of being annoying, I did email the remaining schools that I have not heard from. Within half an hour, I was emailed an official acceptance letter from one of them.

Last year, one of the programs I applied for actually asked me to inform them if I was accepted anywhere else. I would strongly suggest against pestering a department, but at least in my experience, if you have already been accepted to another program and want to know where the other schools stand, there is absolutely nothing wrong with politely inquiring about your application status. 

That is awesome! Really, I honestly thought it would be harder than that.  Perhaps some schools just have looser guidelines or that one school is in the process of sending out decisions anyways and your email was good timing?? Well, either way, I'm glad that it didn't backfire and you are getting the answers you seek  :)

Good luck with choosing from your growing pile of acceptances :D

At the risk of being annoying, I did email the remaining schools that I have not heard from. Within half an hour, I was emailed an official acceptance letter from one of them.

Last year, one of the programs I applied for actually asked me to inform them if I was accepted anywhere else. I would strongly suggest against pestering a department, but at least in my experience, if you have already been accepted to another program and want to know where the other schools stand, there is absolutely nothing wrong with politely inquiring about your application status. 

I am feeling totally dejected today. Two programs I applied to have sent out "unofficial acceptances" and I have heard nothing. Though I do not understand the purpose of unofficial acceptances and then giving official notice, I am totally worn down. 

I'm feeling like I was never a competitive applicant in the first place. What was I even thinking?

According to your signature, you are still waiting to hear back from everywhere.  You haven't actually been rejected yet, have you? Although it is easy to get down (we've all been there/are there/will be there soon) remember that you still have a chance.

Re: "what was I even thinking?"--well, you were thinking about furthering your education to better your career, just like everybody else.  Please remember that getting rejected is NOT a reflection of you as a person. Yes, it sucks getting rejected from a school, a job interview, a significant other..etc etc. This is life. You cant and wont win them all. Your job is to find the strength and courage to try again until you find the right fit for you.  All rejection does is make you work harder for what you want...

I am feeling totally dejected today. Two programs I applied to have sent out "unofficial acceptances" and I have heard nothing. Though I do not understand the purpose of unofficial acceptances and then giving official notice, I am totally worn down. 

I'm feeling like I was never a competitive applicant in the first place. What was I even thinking?

I want to do this, but have no idea how to word such an email. Any tips?

I got into Northwestern, holy shit. It was my top choice and my second time applying. I am over the moon.

Congrats! As someone who may have to apply for a second round, I find this very heartening!

I got into Northwestern, holy shit. It was my top choice and my second time applying. I am over the moon.

Congratulations. It must be very encouraging to get that kind of validation at this point. Way to go!

Edited by sansao