Anyone else losing their damn mind?

gradorbust

At this time last year, several of the schools I applied to this cycle had already started notifying students.  This year, only one of the schools I applied to has started notifying candidates.  I haven't heard anything and i've quickly descended from a semi-detached, normally functioning person to a nervous, glass-is-empty-and-has-a-hole-at-the-bottom mental case.

Watching the attached video made me (temporarily) lighten up and actually laugh out loud, so I'll share it with you.  Good luck and best wishes to everyone still waiting!!

http://www.happyplace.com/21676/flailing-man-protects-car-from-hail-storm

Two hours after my post yesterday, I got an unexpected email that I was admitted to one of my top choice (and top-ranked!!) programs!!  I had completely discounted my chances and fully expected to be rejected outright.  Don't stop believin'!!  :D

My SO needs to submit his location preferences for TFA by oh, yesterday? If I don't hear anything new today he is going to have to submit without complete information and if I then end up getting in to a better school he will have to give up that sure-thing job and join the unemployed masses to be with me. This thoroughly SUCKS. Dear schools, I know you know if you want me or not. Hurry your rears up and tell me please! Some major life decisions are hanging in the balance here and the way you are toying with us is just cruel.

Anyone else feel guilty for not being happy when others get accepted?  haha

Congrats to everyone that has gotten in so far!!  I'm hoping the rest of us get good news.

Edited by HomeGrown

tested the waters this morning and sent my first "sooo.. what's the adcomm's status as far as decisions go right now?" email.

brb, spending the rest of the day curled up under my desk like a ball of nerves until i get a response. 

I give you kudos for your courage-I'm dying to do the same, but I feel like I know 2 of the answers and I'm afraid for the other 2

phigirl: yesterday marked 6 weeks passing from the deadline, which seems to be when most programs say it's okay to contact them. it's actually been more than 6 weeks for another one of my programs, but they apparently keep accepting applications until friday, so that's why i'm holding off on that one. also, i'm admittedly terrified that asking about my status at the second one (my second choice that's turning into my top choice as my current top choice's funding prospects are.. not so great) will somehow affect me negatively, so i might just have to be patient. what a delicate balance! woof.

I've been playing with contacting a program that I interviewed with, but they said give them 2-4 weeks. Since its only week 3 I suppose that means I'm waiting for a little while longer. 

pears: I feel you. It's been nearly 3 months since 2 of my apps went in (Dec. 15) and it's been 8 weeks since the other 2. one programs told us to expect decisions in early March so I'm chomping at the bit on that one because some PhD only candidates (I'm MA/PhD) have been notified. It's driving me absolutely insane that I still have no idea on these 2-like I said, I'm pretty sure I know the answer for the other 2, although hope is never 100% gone until the letter is in front of me. I might join you in being a ball under a desk until I get decisions

I want to do this, but have no idea how to word such an email. Any tips?

Check out this thread:

Also, I mentioned in the emails that I had started to hear back from other schools without actually saying "I was accepted at so and so... and now I want to hear your offer." I emailed/ addressed my messages to the graduate coordinators or the department chairs. The two I have heard back from seemed very polite and understanding about me asking.

Edited by Captain Crunch

I only applied to four schools, know I'm probably rejected from one, haven't heard a peep from one, and was flat out rejected with the third. However, last week a professor from the fourth school emailed me and wanted to talk to me about research goals and the like. I wasn't expecting an interview then, just a feeling out sort of call, but it ended up being more of an interview than I anticipated. I felt the conversation went well, considering it lasted over an hour. I'm anxiously waiting for any sort of hint as to what chance I might have with the place. This sucks.

I only applied to four schools, know I'm probably rejected from one, haven't heard a peep from one, and was flat out rejected with the third. However, last week a professor from the fourth school emailed me and wanted to talk to me about research goals and the like. I wasn't expecting an interview then, just a feeling out sort of call, but it ended up being more of an interview than I anticipated. I felt the conversation went well, considering it lasted over an hour. I'm anxiously waiting for any sort of hint as to what chance I might have with the place. This sucks.

Yes it does, especially when you think you have a legitimate shot with a program and you can feel it dwindling everyday they don't call you. 

Yes it does, especially when you think you have a legitimate shot with a program and you can feel it dwindling everyday they don't call you. 

Ditto. There are five professors I could really see myself working with at Florida (including one who does exactly the sort of research I hope to do, which is fairly rare in my case). Phone calls have started going out, and I haven't heard anything...

I have the whole priority inbox thing going for Gmail, and I'm now convinced that gmail is sentient and trying to protect my feelings. I've gotten 4 decisions so far and one interview so far and it has filed the 2 acceptances and interview as important and the 2 rejections as not important. 

Heard officially from my 2nd top school that I got accepted, and heard sort of unofficially that I'd be recommend for admission from my top school. 2nd top school wants an answer by March 18th!! Don't know when I'll finally hear from my top school. Definitely losing my mind.....

Check out this thread:

Also, I mentioned in the emails that I had started to hear back from other schools without actually saying "I was accepted at so and so... and now I want to hear your offer." I emailed/ addressed my messages to the graduate coordinators or the department chairs. The two I have heard back from seemed very polite and understanding about me asking.

I appreciate the link, it gives me a little bit of basis but not much. The school I am waiting to hear from is very small, so no results on the page and no coordinator that I can find. Is it strange to reach out to a dept. chair with whom you have had no previous contact? This is my last school to hear from so I am dying to know but do not want to invite a rejection by seeming impatient or rude. :(

Edited by iphi

Anyone want to look over my draft?

Hello DEPARTMENT HEAD, (is this the right person?)

I am an applicant to the graduate program in XXX and am writing to inquire about the status of my application. I am very sorry to bother you, but I was wondering if you would be willing to disclose where the department is in the decision-making process? I have heard from the other programs I have applied to, but am extremely interested in University X and want to be able to make an informed decision.

Thank you for your understanding.

Sincerely,

(Name)

Anyone want to look over my draft?

Hello DEPARTMENT HEAD, (is this the right person?)

I am an applicant to the graduate program in XXX and am writing to inquire about the status of my application. I am very sorry to bother you, but I was wondering if you would be willing to disclose where the department is in the decision-making process? I have heard from the other programs I have applied to, but am extremely interested in University X and want to be able to make an informed decision.

Thank you for your understanding.

Sincerely,

(Name)

I would take out the "I am very sorry to bother you". Something I would say in person but not in an email.

pears: I feel you. It's been nearly 3 months since 2 of my apps went in (Dec. 15) and it's been 8 weeks since the other 2. one programs told us to expect decisions in early March so I'm chomping at the bit on that one because some PhD only candidates (I'm MA/PhD) have been notified. It's driving me absolutely insane that I still have no idea on these 2-like I said, I'm pretty sure I know the answer for the other 2, although hope is never 100% gone until the letter is in front of me. I might join you in being a ball under a desk until I get decisions
Group desk-ball!

It's been nearly three weeks since I've last heard from the first school I've interviewed at.  I'm starting to get very worried about my status since it appears most schools let prospectives know within 1 or 2 weeks post-interview... This wait is driving me crazy, especially since someone heard immediately regarding an acceptance.  :(

I would take out the "I am very sorry to bother you". Something I would say in person but not in an email.

Thanks, that was pretty much the only thing I took from the original template, but didn't really like it! Haha.

Also, I don't know if the department head is quite who you want to email. At least with the schools I applied to, there was a point contact person listed, often a grad secretary of some sort. I would definitely email them first.