Anyone else losing their damn mind?

gradorbust

I also have my smartphone to "beep" whenever an email is received.

I have never, EVER, been so angry at spam emails.

Me too, haha. I get a newsletter from a site I follow every night at 8pm. It took longer than I'd like to admit to expect the e-mail and not get my hopes up.

I've started to get better about not immediately jumping for my phone when it makes the New Email sound.  At least when I'm at work.  And other people can see me.  

Now phone calls, on the other hand... unfortunately because of a credit issue with one of my relatives, I get phone calls multiple times a day from creditors.  And every single time the phone rings I get hopeful.. and then really angry when I see that it's them  :angry:

I got a call from a different area code today during lab meeting... as soon as I could, I left the room to go check the voicemail. It starts:
"Hi, this message is for Katie Liz, I'm calling with graduate admissions from the department of Speech & Hearing Science...."

(heart skips a beat)
"....at XXXXX University to see if you are still interested in applying to our master's program"

It wasn't even a school I applied to!! >:( One time, like two years ago, I checked a box on their site saying i MIGHT be interested in receiving  additional info regarding the program. They call at least once a month even though I told them I'm no longer interested... :( 

I'm guilty of the same thing. My school got a bomb threat today, and I jumped every time it went off hoping it was a school but every time it was the school... With a message saying they were still investigating the threat. 

I'm guilty of the same thing. My school got a bomb threat today, and I jumped every time it went off hoping it was a school but every time it was the school... With a message saying they were still investigating the threat. 

Very inconsiderate of them!  :rolleyes:

I had a dream this morning - that I was accepted, but I found out in a roundabout way because someone handed me a copy of my SOP all marked up in red.  And it had a grade - B.  ("B is for bad," my internal narrative reminded me.  That's actually what we used to say when I was at Chicago.)  But then... there was another note below that... saying that they would give me a chance anyway.  Then I woke up.  :rolleyes: 

I love how our brains dont accept failure even in our sleep.  I had a dream that I had my laptop beside me in bed and I kept waking up to refresh my messages. So I finally get a message that says I've been "non-rejected".  Wtf?? Yes, stress dreams can get very bizarre indeed.

I had a dream this morning - that I was accepted, but I found out in a roundabout way because someone handed me a copy of my SOP all marked up in red.  And it had a grade - B.  ("B is for bad," my internal narrative reminded me.  That's actually what we used to say when I was at Chicago.)  But then... there was another note below that... saying that they would give me a chance anyway.  Then I woke up.  :rolleyes: 

i'm still having crazy stress dreams, but now they're about schools and jobs. at the same time. this morning i was convinced that the BLM wanted to give me a job in missoula, but i wasn't allowed to take the job unless i declined my university of montana offer (top choice). needless to say, i woke up in a cold sweat.  :wacko:

Ironically, the very first "beep" email I got after I decided to quit my impulsive checking habit was an acceptance! One of the lower scholls on the list, but at this point I'm not going to slap a gift horse in the face.

Ironically, the very first "beep" email I got after I decided to quit my impulsive checking habit was an acceptance! One of the lower scholls on the list, but at this point I'm not going to slap a gift horse in the face.
Congrats, ak48. It's weird, it seems like the schools I applied to are exactly the ones that never show up in the results. Sometimes here and there for an MA or something, but nothing suggesting that their admissions departments are actually releasing decisions at all. I don't know how I managed to pull that off, but it sucks.

Congrats, ak48. It's weird, it seems like the schools I applied to are exactly the ones that never show up in the results. Sometimes here and there for an MA or something, but nothing suggesting that their admissions departments are actually releasing decisions at all. I don't know how I managed to pull that off, but it sucks.

Thanks Sansao. I'm sorry to hear about your lack of results on gradcafe but I think it makes sense to me.

Geological sciences is not really a popular field of study compared to the others on this website (particularly Comp Sci, Electrical Engineering, Psychology, Math, English). So there are less Geo candidates applying to schools, and remember that most students probably don't know about gradcafe. (The tech-saavy ones probably do, which is why I think a lot of Comp-Sci people find their way here).

Thanks Sansao. I'm sorry to hear about your lack of results on gradcafe but I think it makes sense to me.   Geological sciences is not really a popular field of study compared to the others on this website (particularly Comp Sci, Electrical Engineering, Psychology, Math, English). So there are less Geo candidates applying to schools, and remember that most students probably don't know about gradcafe. (The tech-saavy ones probably do, which is why I think a lot of Comp-Sci people find their way here).
You do have a point for geosciences, but there are probably more of us here than you think. ;) In general it seems to be a very slow trickle of results overall. I said this on another post too, that one school to which I applied has exactly one result posted this year, for any department.