Anyone else losing their damn mind?

gradorbust

That is an honest nightmare.  How horrible! Glad to hear that it eventually worked out...although it probably left a bitter taste in your mouth for a looong time.

Speaking of false admissions... I transferred to my undergrad institution from another. I was accepted about 2 weeks after applying, and sent in my enrollment contract the day I received it. About 2 week later, I received an email saying they accidentally accepted too many people and did not have room for us (before they even knew the classes I would be taking). I had already signed a lease on an apartment, and begun withdrawing from classes I had previously enrolled in. Needless to say, I was completely devastated. I had to deal with this school for weeks trying to sort it out. Because they had put me in such a terrible position, they "made an exception" and allowed me to come.

It was truly horrifying.

Last year I got an email rejection and before I could pick myself up off the floor I received another email telling me that in case I received an acceptance email it was and error and I'm really rejected. A day or so later I received another email again reminding me that I've really really been rejected.

So basically, the same school rejected me 3 times.  Luckily by the 3rd email I was dead inside so it didn't affect me as much as you might think.

The silver lining?  I've come to realize that the school in question sucks ass.  Any school that cant complete the simple task of sending appropriate email regarding such a sensitive matter is no school that I want to attend.  (well, not attend *again* since I did get my undergraduate degree from them, but still...you get my point) 

This story sounds so much like my sister’s story that I thought you WERE my sister for a second (she is in a different program, so I dont think you are...). ANYWAY, she got reminded, so many times, that she had been rejected. There was no message about an error though, they just kept sending her rejection emails for over a month... It was the STRANGEST thing I have ever heard of. She finally had to call and ask them to stop...They apologized profusely and said it was probably a computer glitch and it would be fixed. After that it happened two more times and FINALLY stopped.

On a completely unrelated note: I talked to my program director today and he dropped a hint about possible funding. He said that the school system was under real financial strain (thats kind of an understatement honestly), but he wants to try to get some funding for me. I'm totally losing my mind waiting for official word. Its for a masters program and I really didnt think I would get funding for a non phd from a public school. He wouldn’t have brought it up unless it was a real possibility right?!?! I want to know SO BADLY. GAHHHHH.

I cannot possibly explain how much this thread title resonates with me right now.  I just don't understand some of these departments.  JUST MAKE UP YOUR MIND! :blink:

One department said very specifically that they would notify everyone by Jan. 30 and asked applicants not to email or call the department to inquire about their status.  It's 2 weeks past Jan. 30 and I still haven't heard a peep.  Likely, that means a rejection but at this point I don't even care, just TELL me.

It makes me want to rip my hair out!

What's your story, if you dont mind sharing.

It was a big pain in the ass to get a copy of my official transcript from the registrar. The ladies there are horrible. But that's not even remotely as bad as being forced to resign from your classes because of their stupid mistake.

I have a friend who had an offer from a company he interned at. But weeks after he was made the offer, which he accepted, he was told that the job was no longer available. At least he had some time to prepare for it and look for another job. 

I can totally relate to your sister! It's so awful to experience. After I was rejected, everytime I saw the school name my stomach turned. I really couldn't stomach seeing it in my emails.

Anyways, I'm well past that now :D and I hope for good things this year!

Regarding your situation, that would be pretty bad of your program director to mention funding and not mean it.  Will that make a difference between you accepting and not? Because it does seem like you are 'in' and now it is just a question of funding.  At least that is my take on it!

This story sounds so much like my sister’s story that I thought you WERE my sister for a second (she is in a different program, so I dont think you are...). ANYWAY, she got reminded, so many times, that she had been rejected. There was no message about an error though, they just kept sending her rejection emails for over a month... It was the STRANGEST thing I have ever heard of. She finally had to call and ask them to stop...They apologized profusely and said it was probably a computer glitch and it would be fixed. After that it happened two more times and FINALLY stopped.

On a completely unrelated note: I talked to my program director today and he dropped a hint about possible funding. He said that the school system was under real financial strain (thats kind of an understatement honestly), but he wants to try to get some funding for me. I'm totally losing my mind waiting for official word. Its for a masters program and I really didnt think I would get funding for a non phd from a public school. He wouldn’t have brought it up unless it was a real possibility right?!?! I want to know SO BADLY. GAHHHHH.

Hi all, here's a perfect example of me "losing my damn mind". I found a thread elsewhere here on GC called "how I feel about waiting (in song lyrics)" and decided to take on the challenge. I chose Tim Burton's "This is Halloween" from The Nightmare Before Christmas and transformed it into: "This is Grad Cafe" from ecologicalphotographer's "The Nightmare Before April". Click the link to follow and enjoy! :)

-wrote this out of anxiety, half from life experience, and half from what i observe, correct me if i am wrong.

just want to keep your mind off the waiting game for a little bit, don't take anything seriously or personal please

applying to grad schools vs. getting pregnant, something in common

-it is not for everyone, people can live without it, and life is just fine

-there is no one correct answer to “when,” it always depends on “when” you are ready

-for a lot of people, it is not the first time

-average age is around 27-29, again, some people make it happen in their early 20's, some people wait until their 40's. teen grad students do happen once in a while, ex: Dr. Sheldon Cooper

-the process usually lasts about 9 months. for grad school applications, usually Sep - May, and pregnancy is more flexible

-you start by doing research online, asking around for suggestions

-during the 9 months, you always start with excitement, and later on, you are just like “why am I doing this to myself!!!!”. Frequent morning sickness.

-later, you will experience freaking-out, nervous breakdown, afraid if something went wrong, “maybe I should wait another year or so,” constantly need to be part of a community with others who are on the same boat, and, compare notes with them

-you will get sick of people asking you the same damn question over and over again. "what is your top choice?" "it is a boy or a girl?"

-costs a lot $$$ here and there, you don’t even notice, by the time you do, you don’t even care

-you don’t get to choose, you just put out your best, and pray that the best would come to you

-you don’t know the final result, but whatever you end up with, 99% of you will love it

-you think, “When all of this is over, I will be so happy.”

-NO, you are WRONG. the next 2- 3 years means rarely eating on time, you become secondary for something else, and get SUPER excited for something as little as “I slept for 8 hours last night!”

Edited by jwu

Minerva is down for the weekend! How will I be able to work grade papers start on my seminar projects waste time online without compulsively seeing that my McGill application is in fact still "ready for review"?

And I totally agree about weekends, sweetpearl16. I have the most time to worry and keep hitting refresh during the two days of the week I can almost guarantee I won't hear back from anywhere.

Edited by musichistorygeek

-wrote this out of anxiety, half from life experience, and half from what i observe, correct me if i am wrong.

just want to keep your mind off the waiting game for a little bit, don't take anything seriously or personal please

applying to grad schools vs. getting pregnant, something in common

-it is not for everyone, people can live without it, and life is just fine

-there is no one correct answer to “when,” it always depends on “when” you are ready

-for a lot of people, it is not the first time

-average age is around 27-29, again, some people make it happen in their early 20's, some people wait until their 40's. teen grad students do happen once in a while, ex: Dr. Sheldon Cooper

-the process usually lasts about 9 months. for grad school applications, usually Sep - May, and pregnancy is more flexible

-you start by doing research online, asking around for suggestions

-during the 9 months, you always start with excitement, and later on, you are just like “why am I doing this to myself!!!!”. Frequent morning sickness.

-later, you will experience freaking-out, nervous breakdown, afraid if something went wrong, “maybe I should wait another year or so,” constantly need to be part of a community with others who are on the same boat, and, compare notes with them

-you will get sick of people asking you the same damn question over and over again. "what is your top choice?" "it is a boy or a girl?"

-costs a lot $$$ here and there, you don’t even notice, by the time you do, you don’t even care

-you don’t get to choose, you just put out your best, and pray that the best would come to you

-you don’t know the final result, but whatever you end up with, 99% of you will love it

-you think, “When all of this is over, I will be so happy.”

-NO, you are WRONG. the next 2- 3 years means rarely eating on time, you become secondary for something else, and get SUPER excited for something as little as “I slept for 8 hours last night!”

-It is never a question of when because you will never be completely ready. Ever.

-For a lot of people it takes many attempts before it is the result they want.

-you start by accidently telling someone you "just might try"...next thing you know it, you are out of obligation.

- you think, "When all of this is over, finally I will be happy"...then you realize it never comes.

- Once it happens....you are never first. Impossible to be selfish...research/child is always first

why can't they just tell me NO already???  i'm so tired of waiting....i've heard back from only 3 out of 11 schools!  i'm losing my damn mind :)

I can't even imagine the stress of applying to 11 schools...

why can't they just tell me NO already???  i'm so tired of waiting....i've heard back from only 3 out of 11 schools!  i'm losing my damn mind :)

the worst thing I can have now is false hope...

It's President's Day today in the US, right? I'm assuming admission departments off... Should I reduce refreshing my email inbox to once every 15 minutes as opposed to once every 5 minutes? :-S

It's President's Day today in the US, right? I'm assuming admission departments off... Should I reduce refreshing my email inbox to once every 15 minutes as opposed to once every 5 minutes? :-S

Thanks for posting this, more hope to get work done today :)

I'm not sure how other schools run, but I know Emory's Neuro adcom is meeting today. I could be wrong but I think President's Day mainly just means no mail delivery and banks are closed

I think it really varies!  But it might be a good idea to give your mousing hand a break  :) 

I have the day off, myself, so I'm going to leave the house for awhile.  Need to get away from the computer.

I'm not sure how other schools run, but I know Emory's Neuro adcom is meeting today. I could be wrong but I think President's Day mainly just means no mail delivery and banks are closed

Yeah my university still has classes and everything, so I wouldn't assume that everyone is off. Glad you reminded me about the no mail thing though, and the banks being closed. I was planning on going to the bank, but I can also now avoid checking my mail 3 times in one day because I don't know when it is delivered.

My University is still open  :( I think it varies by location.