Anyone else losing their damn mind?

gradorbust

Definitely starting to lose it. All of my programs had very early deadlines, and based on the results page, no one else has heard back from them either. I called one of them to double check today, and was told decisions will be available at the END of March at the earliest.

I need a hobby.

Hobbies are absolutely whats needed haha! I bought a fixie just to give me something to do (and to ride next year)!

In unrelated news, got my third acceptance today. Nothing to see here. 

Waiting... Waiting... Waiting... Two applications in, NO news from either. Unrequested by me, my boss emailed on of my POIs (she's a friend of his, I currently work in my field) asking when I could expect to hear some results. Four days later no reply, he sent another e-mail asking if she was out in the field in the Arctic and out of email contact. Two days later still no reply. Maybe she is? Either way it's frustrating.

I need something to take my mind off of this.  I am literally checking my email every 2 minutes!!! :( this can't continue.

I've come to the conclusion I should hear from my first school this week.  The anxiety is killing me.

I would suspect that it may be avoidance. Firstly, IMO your boss should not have emailed--it is none of her business and it may have put your POI in an uncomfortable position. I mean, what is your POI supposed to say? It wasn't you making the inquiry it was your boss who really had no authority to do so. If I received a similar email I might be a little upset at my friend for not really respecting the process.

Waiting... Waiting... Waiting... Two applications in, NO news from either. Unrequested by me, my boss emailed on of my POIs (she's a friend of his, I currently work in my field) asking when I could expect to hear some results. Four days later no reply, he sent another e-mail asking if she was out in the field in the Arctic and out of email contact. Two days later still no reply. Maybe she is? Either way it's frustrating.

This is a random, crazy thought, but while I was driving home today an idea occured to me. What if I was rejected from everywhere EXCEPT Brown? Wouldn't that be great? I picked Brown because I'm calling Boulder and Chicago as rejections and it's the only program left I applied to that assures funding. Now, I in no way think I'm going to get it (I only applied because it is my dream program), but it just crossed my mind that it would be a lovely thing to happen.

So, yes, I am still, slowly losing my mind. What makes it worse is that it also occured to me on the drive home that I was coming home to a Pitt rejection in my mailbox, which I did, so part of me refuses to let go of the impossible. :lol:

I thought the whole point of an application deadline was so that the adcomm could start the process of going through the apps to figure out which folks will be accepted, etc.  If they don't plan to meet until the middle of March.... then WHY did we have to turn in apps by February 1st?  Waiting a month and a half to even meet is a bit ridiculous in my opinion.  The whole notion of "if your app isn't complete by the deadline, it isn't considered" must not really be true if they have to have the month and a half buffer to put together the apps for the adcomm.  :-(  So disappointed that the adcomm isn't even going to meet until then, or even later.  :-/ 

I may be way off base but I think that the sorting process begins fairly soon after the application deadline. Although this may not be the case for every school, I thnk that they first weed out the obvious rejections (for low gpa's, incomplete applications, very negative references, etc). Then admissions committee members start reviewing applications.  When they meet (say mid-March), it is just to confirm the admits and wrestle over which 'maybe' candidate should get an acceptance. I highly doubt they are just sitting on applications until then.

I thought the whole point of an application deadline was so that the adcomm could start the process of going through the apps to figure out which folks will be accepted, etc.  If they don't plan to meet until the middle of March.... then WHY did we have to turn in apps by February 1st?  Waiting a month and a half to even meet is a bit ridiculous in my opinion.  The whole notion of "if your app isn't complete by the deadline, it isn't considered" must not really be true if they have to have the month and a half buffer to put together the apps for the adcomm.  :-(  So disappointed that the adcomm isn't even going to meet until then, or even later.  :-/ 

This is a random, crazy thought, but while I was driving home today an idea occured to me. What if I was rejected from everywhere EXCEPT Brown? Wouldn't that be great? 

Hey, why not?  It would not suck to go to Brown!  When I was in high school, we used to hang out on the East Side and think that we were sooo cool.  B)  It's still a nice place to be!

I am not going to make it. Continue on without me...  :o

atleast u dont have 2 rejections for Phd programs post interview.....I have nothing. nothing. No more PhD interviews. 15 applications and all I got was a bottle of vodka to drown my sorrows. One waitlist (#6)....I'm a failure

Failure is never trying at all.  Hang in there...the fact that you got interviews and a waitlist standing says that you definitely have potential.  Many, many people have to apply a second (or more) times to gain admission.  Last year, every school I applied to rejected me.  I even found out pretty early (Jan/early Feb) when decisions were supposed to come out March/April so I can pretty much guess that I was in the 'hopelessly rejected' pile. The thing I did was call up the schools and find out what went wrong. I made improvements and now this year, I feel much more confident about my chances. Also, I passed the 'early rejection' deadline (based on last year's experience) and feel like I've already experienced some victory.

One thing that is very important is to NOT tie your sense of self worth to grad school.  Start working on your plan 'B' and try again next year.  Believe me, everything ALWAYS works out for the best.  This year, I may get in and I may not--but I will never think that it makes me a lesser person for getting rejected or a superior person for gaining admission.

Congratulations for getting the interviews--that is impressive. Hopefully your waitlist status will change and you will get in this year. If not, ask for feedback. You may be surprised by what you hear.

atleast u dont have 2 rejections for Phd programs post interview.....I have nothing. nothing. No more PhD interviews. 15 applications and all I got was a bottle of vodka to drown my sorrows. One waitlist (#6)....I'm a failure

i got my first rejection last friday, and it really didn't bother me at all. wasn't my favorite, and i was in the middle of a nice long weekend with my S.O., so it was nice to actually have another definitive answer. on the one hand, i feel like i can handle any/all rejections that ensue, and maybe even deal with the cryptic limbo that is being waitlisted.. but on the other hand, i'm a little nervous that i'll still have an emotional outpouring if my two favorites shut me down. at this point, the two responses i've gotten have made me totally greedy- i just want some more answers! hah.

more than anything, the poor attitudes and extreme stress i'm seeing on the results boards and in the forum posts here are driving me nuts. i think it's time to make a calming manatee thread...

I have my email linked to my phone.  My phone just gave off it's typical noise each time I get an email.  Freaking out, I open my email only to find a notification from amazon that my new boots have shipped.

I just about died from a heart attack.

Biohopeful, my personal email is also linked thru my phone- and everytime I get a junk mail I start cursing my phone...

Katieliz, I have the same thing- 5 schools have notified others of acceptances and I haven't heard jack- it's all I can do to keep from calling the departments...

So i'm about 90 percent sure I got into one of my "sort of reach" schools. I'm waiting to hear officially before I get too excited. The notifications come by mail, so i've been bouncing around talking about "how I want my letter."

Then I realized that this situation sounds familiar...I'm basically like the 11 year old Hogwarts students who want their owls. PLEASE LET ME INTO HOGWARTS!!

p.s: I realize that some of you may be a bit older than the Harry Potter generation...don't judge me. I still think magic is cool.

Biohopeful, my personal email is also linked thru my phone- and everytime I get a junk mail I start cursing my phone...

Katieliz, I have the same thing- 5 schools have notified others of acceptances and I haven't heard jack- it's all I can do to keep from calling the departments...

At this point anything that isnt from a school is considered junk mail in my opinion