Anyone else losing their damn mind?

gradorbust

I am absolutely going nuts.  My career is nuts right now, and I find that I am making my home life difficult because I'm trying to keep my career afloat until I get into school ... I check my email obsessively, the mailbox too ... just in case the post man forgot something and came back later... 

certifiably insane, perhaps.  It drives me nuts when other schools start notifying but mine have not AT ALL ... not even a peep as to an estimate on WHEN we might hear something.  The results board shows we should start hearing something soon... between now and the end of February... but I'm definitely not feeling like the light at the end of the tunnel is anywhere NEAR where I can even get a glimpse.  :-( 

Rumor has it Cornell will be announcing musicology acceptances soon. Based on past years, they seem to like calling people, which has led to me checking my phone constantly. On the bus ride into campus the past couple of days, I was convinced my phone was vibrating, even though it was just normal bus motion/noises. I was super excited today when I was running to grab coffee and I had a missed call and message from a number I didn't recognize...turns out it was a secretary from the department in which I'm taking an elective seminar asking about picking up some course materials from the department office.

And whenever I check my email, my mind goes, "Sorry, seminar professors and students in my discussion sections. I just want to know if I have funding and a place to go next year."

Hogwarts School Of Witchcraft And Wizardry Broomism, PhD (F13) Accepted via Other on 14 Feb 2013 O 14 Feb 2013

• Letter via owl. Now I have to prepare a new broom for my first lesson in Hogwarts.

Some lucky person is going to Hogwarts. :(

I think the post-interview wait is killing me more than the pre-interview wait...

Edited by Biohopeful

For FOUR damn hours last night, I was tossing and turning because I was having a dream about pushing refresh on one of my status pages and certain grad cafe topics... I also think I'm getting stress related nausea and back pain. I seriously think the people at work think I'm a hypochondriac. My body is even losing it! :(. Can't wait until March 15th so that all of this craziness is over and I can be a normal person again.

Man... I have not heard back anything at all from any program yet. Not a rejection, not a waitlisted, not an interview invite, not an acceptance--nothing. All the waiting and uncertainty is really getting to me, especially that I see people from some of the programs I applied to have already been given interview invites or rejections... I don't know what to make of the complete radio silence...

Right there with you. NOTHING yet, from either program I applied to. My boss asks for news daily; I never have any to give. Today he actually e-mailed my hopeful future advisor (and one of his friends) to ask when us hopeful applicants (to Stanford geosciences at least) might hear some news. I'm torn if this no-news limbo is better or worse than a "thanks but no thanks." Hitting "refresh" a zillion times a day isn't helping much either.

For FOUR damn hours last night, I was tossing and turning because I was having a dream about pushing refresh on one of my status pages and certain grad cafe topics... I also think I'm getting stress related nausea and back pain. I seriously think the people at work think I'm a hypochondriac. My body is even losing it! :(. Can't wait until March 15th so that all of this craziness is over and I can be a normal person again.

Geesh, you are that stressed and you have already been accepted to UCLA!!??  

Imagine the kind of stress I'm feeling, I just received my third reject today, no acceptances, interviews or waitlists so far!!!

Be THANKFUL that you have a choice next fall!!!!!!

Nonetheless, best of luck with the rest of your schools :)  

Geesh, you are that stressed and you have already been accepted to UCLA!!??  

Imagine the kind of stress I'm feeling, I just received my third reject today, no acceptances, interviews or waitlists so far!!!

Be THANKFUL that you have a choice next fall!!!!!!

Nonetheless, best of luck with the rest of your schools :)  

Ditto. I know exactly how you feel, CP3 (three rejections, two assumed rejections, and no acceptances). What makes things ever worse for me is that I can only go to grad school if I'm fully funded, and of the programs I have yet to hear from only two assure funding (one of which is Brown, which I'm not even pretending I have a shot at). I'd LOVE to go to any of the programs I'm applied to, but my biggest fear now isn't just not getting in at all, it's getting in but not being able to go because of money. I don't even want to think what mental state I'll be in if I get rejections from both funded programs. *sigh*

I totally understand your stress-induced nausea and sleeplessness, HigherEd. Hopefully thinking of us with dwindling hope for this app cycle will help you feel a little better, though!

i think being this much of a critical jerk will probably lock in that special seat the devil has waiting for me in hell, but i just saw this on the results board, and immediately thought "holy smokes, this is exactly the kind of part-hilarious, part-obnoxious awful sense of entitlement i was talking about on that one thread!"

"University of Delaware is so rude. They just sent me a curt reject letter, word-for-word. I have a very bad feeling about this school. Its ranking is not very high and definitely not a star school. But for reasons from nowhere, it is very inconsiderate and impolite. I got a much better offer from Yale, Rutgers, and Penn State. So, go to hell, Delaware."

geez. i facepalmed. being humble, like being patient, is a virtue, people! get over yourself!

Edited by pears

i think being this much of a critical jerk will probably lock in that special seat the devil has waiting for me in hell, but i just saw this on the results board, and immediately thought "holy smokes, this is exactly the kind of part-hilarious, part-obnoxious awful sense of entitlement i was talking about on that one thread!"

"University of Delaware is so rude. They just sent me a curt reject letter, word-for-word. I have a very bad feeling about this school. Its ranking is not very high and definitely not a star school. But for reasons from nowhere, it is very inconsiderate and impolite. I got a much better offer from Yale, Rutgers, and Penn State. So, go to hell, Delaware."

geez. i facepalmed. being humble, like being patient, is a virtue, people! get over yourself!

I saw one for CS: "I believe the reason is "overqualified". Professor there expressed his fear that I would end up disproving several of his published theories..."

Yep, I'm sure a top ranked computer science school rejected you because you were just too good. I'm sure thats exactly what happened. This sort of stuff makes me cringe

YESSSSSS. Had an interview 3 weeks ago, ran into somebody today who was at the same interview. They said they'd heard their status (I don't know if it was acceptance or rejection, I'm assuming acceptance). I have yet to hear. AUGGHHHHHHH.

Edited by flattsfan1216

I'm rooting for you CP3!

THANKS!!!  :)

Ditto. I know exactly how you feel, CP3 (three rejections, two assumed rejections, and no acceptances). What makes things ever worse for me is that I can only go to grad school if I'm fully funded, and of the programs I have yet to hear from only two assure funding (one of which is Brown, which I'm not even pretending I have a shot at). I'd LOVE to go to any of the programs I'm applied to, but my biggest fear now isn't just not getting in at all, it's getting in but not being able to go because of money. I don't even want to think what mental state I'll be in if I get rejections from both funded programs. *sigh*

I totally understand your stress-induced nausea and sleeplessness, HigherEd. Hopefully thinking of us with dwindling hope for this app cycle will help you feel a little better, though!

Yep, 2-3 of the schools I'm waiting on are practically guaranteed rejections, the 2 left after that give me a better shot, but they don't offer good funding. I am in HUGE debt already, I really don't want to borrow anymore money to go to school. Unfortunately, the best schools offer the best funding, and so far I have struck out on 3 schools that offer great funding. 

I'm already planning on next year, it's safer to assume completely getting shut out this year, that way I can mentally prepare myself to go through this hell all over again next year!! :wacko:

i think being this much of a critical jerk will probably lock in that special seat the devil has waiting for me in hell, but i just saw this on the results board, and immediately thought "holy smokes, this is exactly the kind of part-hilarious, part-obnoxious awful sense of entitlement i was talking about on that one thread!"

You know what the funniest part about that post is? As far as we know over in English, Yale, Rutgers, and Penn State haven't even started sending out acceptances yet...

I've gotten to that point of refreshing my email literally every 2 minutes in class. Doing well, clearly.

Right there with you..... but at work, not in class.

So my friend is applying to PhD programs in a different subject... He was notified of an acceptance today at one of his top choice schools (after rejections from a couple others)!!! A few hrs later, he was told that it was a "system error" and he did not actually get in :( This makes me TERRIFIED to find out/announce my results ://