Anyone else losing their damn mind?

gradorbust

For those who have been invited to interviews/visiting weekends: how long before the day were you invited?

(I x-posted this in the Sociology forum - but I originally just meant to post it here! I'd love to hear from all disciplines!)

I was invited just under a month in advance. I head to northwestern Feb. 14.

Once again, congrats and good luck with the interview, a very exciting Valentine's Day!!! 

For those who have been invited to interviews/visiting weekends: how long before the day were you invited?   (I x-posted this in the Sociology forum - but I originally just meant to post it here! I'd love to hear from all disciplines!)
2-3 weeks, I think.

For those who have been invited to interviews/visiting weekends: how long before the day were you invited?

(I x-posted this in the Sociology forum - but I originally just meant to post it here! I'd love to hear from all disciplines!)

A month for one, five weeks for another.  Really helpful in my case since I have a lot of flights to figure out.

I have resigned myself to rejections. I suppose weeping > uncertainty

Right there with you! Second week in a row that I've gotten ready to leave work and found a rejection notice in my e-mail.  Thanks for letting me know on a friday before a long weekend. I'll just sit here and wait in silence for someone to pick me up.. 

Gonna go read one of Bolano's novels and slowly slip into bitterness. I take some joy in knowing that the U.S will be dead broke in 4 years and it aint easy to get a blue card into the EU.....

Edited by ohgoodness

Right there with you! Second week in a row that I've gotten ready to leave work and found a rejection notice in my e-mail. Thanks for letting me know on a friday before a long weekend. I'll just sit here and wait in silence for someone to pick me up..

Gonna go read one of Bolano's novels and slowly slip into bitterness. I take some joy in knowing that the U.S will be dead broke in 4 years and it aint easy to get a blue card into the EU.....

it is comforting to know that there is a companion in misery :( because misery still delights to trace/ its semblance in another's case Edited by t1racyjacks

Things I never ever thought i would be thinking during this process: "Oh my god, why don't you just reject me already?!?!?!"

I've only heard from 2 schools so far (an acceptance and an interview) but a lot of my other schools have sent out some acceptances already, so I really wish they would just rip off the bandaid and send me a rejection instead of making me wait and suffer.

Things I never ever thought i would be thinking during this process: "Oh my god, why don't you just reject me already?!?!?!"

I'm right there with you.  I feel super fortunate that things have gone pretty well so far, but I'm starting to get really hostile about the places that I'm pretty sure just haven't bothered to reject me yet.  I just want to get on with it!

Me too! I got a rejection by mail and couldn't help but think it would have been so much faster just to email me. It's not like I need the paper copy for a scrapbook or something...

Edited by Lulubelle

I'm pretty sure the applications I'm waiting to hear from are in a rejection crate in a warehouse somewhere, kind of like the end of the Indiana Jones Raiders of the Lost Ark movie.

Just TELL ME ALREADY!!!!   

I'm right there with you.  I feel super fortunate that things have gone pretty well so far, but I'm starting to get really hostile about the places that I'm pretty sure just haven't bothered to reject me yet.  I just want to get on with it!

Exactly!  I'd love to be able to know absolutely 100% for certain what my options are, so that I can get back to my top choice with a definite answer.

Hurry up, schools!  Ain't nobody got time fo' dat! :)

Maybe schools purposely make applicants wait a long time, because if they die of stress waiting to hear back, they obviously wouldn't have made it through the PhD process. If the applicant expires before ever reaching them, they avoid legal action and messy amounts of paperwork. 

/end tongue-in-cheek

Edited by RubyBright

I was meeting with my thesis director today, and he was THISCLOSE to divulging some info about the applications they've received/reviewed so far... and then his phone rang! :( NOT cool.  (The only thing I learned is that they received over 300 apps this year, which is not so encouraging!)

I think i've officialy gone totally crazy. I realize now that up until this point I was just teetering on the edge of madness. The strangest thing for me is that someone getting acceptances has made me MORE crazy. When I was just waiting to hear back from all the schools it didnt really feel real. I just went about my day and thought about it everyonce and a while, but it still felt "too early".

I've heard back from two places and got into both, which is awesome, but now I REALLY REALLY want to hear back from my top choice. Everyone has said "why are you so anxious, you already got in!" I guess I am less "nervous" than I was before, because I know I can go somewhere, but no less crazy. Ugh...I really have to pull it together.

I also help high school students apply for college. It amazes me how worried/not worried they are. Several kids are just like oh I'll go to this college, the college will accept me because I want to go there, what do you mean did I turn in an application?.....

I swear I've had at least two conversations like this with seniors in the past week. 

I am mentoring a student currently applying to college.. here's the thing. A lot of students just HAVE NO IDEA. I know I didn't when I applied for college. I had no idea how attending a community college would affect me years later. I don't regret it, but I do sort of wish that I had known, or that someone had cared enough to tell me.

Anyway, this girl that I'm mentoring has a nearly perfect GPA.. is going to be co-valedictorian.. and has taken tons of college classes as a dual enrolled student. She still needed assistance finding an internship and was really grateful when I took the time to share with her information about how the college she chooses now may later affect her prospects.