Anyone else losing their damn mind?

gradorbust

So, I'm a state employee, and during the course of a meeting this morning, I heard that there will be a preliminary budget presented on Wednesday.  It occurs to me that one reason why I haven't seen many results from a certain public university might be because they will need to learn how *their* budget will be impacted.  In a strange way, this theory comforts me.

Yeah, I've been wondering how the financial situation in the US would affect graduate admission and funding, especially since sequestration threatens to cut scientific research funding significantly over the next decade, I think.

i understand how you feel, I am also an international student, i go to work every day feeling scared and moody, the only thing keeping me going is just the thought that i might get in but i applied to a single school so i am so very scared. all the best though

All the best to you too! I hope you do get in!

I've applied to three schools only, so my options are also limited.

Hi all. Just got back to (old) England from a set of admission interviews in New England. It was totally exciting and I got first acceptances, yay! But now I can't focus on my current work anymore. What is more, I will be back in the US for more interviews in early March so I anticipate minimal productivity for the coming weeks. I can't wait having made a decision so that I will finally get adrenaline down and focus on actual work again haha. This thread definitely is a great place to reassure oneself that one is not alone in this madness. So thank you all for sharing your thoughts :)

Congrats on the interviews!

My level of focus right now is about the same as a 3 year old, waiting on the rest of the decisions to come in makes it hard to get any significant work done. I have a concert coming up in April, I need to be composing music AT LEAST 2-3 hours a day, instead I'm staring at the gradcafe and taking frequent naps.

As time passes, I'm becoming less stressed about getting in/not getting in, I'm becoming more stressed about having to wait, I just want a yes or no, that way I can move on with my life. 

I have an interesting dilemma that is now making me go a little nuts. I got accepted into my favorite program, and classes start the first week of August. However, they require my completed transcript that shows my degree was conferred before that date. Even though I'm defending my masters thesis in June, my degree won't be conferred until mid-August. There is a chance I can graduate in May, but it is slim. Here is to hoping I can get a waiver from my new school!

My post got buried, so I don't think anyone saw it, so this post is to let peeps know I'm all better on this front now in case someone sees it later. Luckily the admins at that school e-mailed me and told me I'm good to go! Now I have to submit a thesis... in less than two months... and defend it... before April 15... if I wanna graduate in May. Things just keep radically changing on me! Holy crap!

Edited by biotechie

So all my applications were submitted before 12/1 (Clinical Psych PhD: Fordham, Columbia, CUNY, Rutgers (PsyD), St. John's). I've yet to hear anything from anyone--no interviews or rejections!!! I'm REALLY freaking out because I saw on the results section that CUNY has been sending TONS of rejections and interviews since 1/10, and interview dates were 2/1 which clearly passed and some say 2/8. Is it bad I haven't heard?? Am I on some waitlist I don't know about? Aren't waitlisted people interviewed, though?!? I called last week and they "didn't have information" on my application status.

This whole process is messing with my head and emotions so much. I'm the only one of my friends applying to ANY grad school programs (I'm an undergrad graduating in May) and they don't understand why I'm stressed. I just keep hearing "you'll get in somewhere" and "yeah, I remember what it was like applying to college..." uhm, it's a MUCH different game than applying to undergrad, but thanks for trying!

So all my applications were submitted before 12/1 (Clinical Psych PhD: Fordham, Columbia, CUNY, Rutgers (PsyD), St. John's). I've yet to hear anything from anyone--no interviews or rejections!!! I'm REALLY freaking out because I saw on the results section that CUNY has been sending TONS of rejections and interviews since 1/10, and interview dates were 2/1 which clearly passed and some say 2/8. Is it bad I haven't heard?? Am I on some waitlist I don't know about? Aren't waitlisted people interviewed, though?!? I called last week and they "didn't have information" on my application status.

This whole process is messing with my head and emotions so much. I'm the only one of my friends applying to ANY grad school programs (I'm an undergrad graduating in May) and they don't understand why I'm stressed. I just keep hearing "you'll get in somewhere" and "yeah, I remember what it was like applying to college..." uhm, it's a MUCH different game than applying to undergrad, but thanks for trying!

I had read somewhere somebody had a somewhat similar problem (seeing people having interviews, rejections, etc but hearing nothing).  It was said they had been put on an unofficial waitlist, so that may be the case for you as well.  Kind of odd that they would tell you they didn't have any information on you though.  Best of luck; I'm in the "haven't heard anything" wading pool, too! 

Monday has to be the most disappointing day of the week now. I get so excited at the end of the weekend, because MONDAY is coming, and ad coms might tell me my fate! And then Monday goes by in silence. And I feel sad.
I do the same on Mondays, but is there any merit to it? I'm pretty sure all the results on the search were random days. Unless people submitted them incorrectly, I'm pretty sure I even saw some received on weekends. Keep positive! :)

Monday has to be the most disappointing day of the week now. I get so excited at the end of the weekend, because MONDAY is coming, and ad coms might tell me my fate! And then Monday goes by in silence. And I feel sad.

Seriously. :(

With no acceptances (or even waitlists) to fall back on, Mondays are becoming increasingly stressful (escpecially this Monday because notifications for at least 2 of the programs I haven't heard from started informing last year's applicants on the first Monday of Feb). 

I haven't slept in two days. If this keeps up I am most definitely going to lose my mind.

Edited by Pericles II.ii.48

So damn true. :P Hang in there, Rubybright!  Surely today will bring some news...?

Doesnt help that this morning when I went to results search it was a sea of green on the front page.  Sure it was all other disciplines but still........

THIS!  No one else should be getting good news as long as I am hanging in limbo!  :P

I mean, no really I'm happy for the other gradcafe peep with good news.  I'm also super super jealous, though. :ph34r:

So I had an interview with U of Michigan Professor in my area two weeks ago.  He said that they would make their decision by the end of the next week (so last Friday).  Still have not heard anything from them, but another Professor in a tangentially related field wants to interview me now (Her area is focused on verifying large-scale processor designs rather than designing them in the first place, you know make sure they do what the design says they do) and I do not know how to feel about that.  I guess the first guy passed on me so now the next Professor in line gets a chance? The only problem is her area of research is basically what I'm doing for a job right now...there is a reason I want to go to grad school and not stay here :P

Oh well, I guess we'll wait and see, and in the meantime I'll sit idly by waiting for those other schools to either admit me or give me funding (I'm looking at you Purdue <_<).

I just keep hearing "you'll get in somewhere" and "yeah, I remember what it was like applying to college..." uhm, it's a MUCH different game than applying to undergrad

Best of luck; I'm in the "haven't heard anything" wading pool, too! 

I feel for you both.  Add me to the list of haven't-heard-a-thing-from-any-programs-persons.

I think I'm starting to see imaginary things... :blink: