Anyone else losing their damn mind?

gradorbust

Gosh.. I really, REALLY want a cat but it's probably a bad idea financially. My master's programs rarely give much aid and moving states is going to be expensive enough.

However, I have decided that when I finally get one, his name will be Waldo and he will be orange with stripes. Whenever I am looking for him, I'll be able to legitimately ask "Where's Waldo???"

However, I have decided that when I finally get one, his name will be Waldo and he will be orange with stripes. Whenever I am looking for him, I'll be able to legitimately ask "Where's Waldo???"
Awesome.

Gosh.. I really, REALLY want a cat but it's probably a bad idea financially. My master's programs rarely give much aid and moving states is going to be expensive enough.

Great idea!  Cats make excellent study buddies.  I got one after I moved to my apartment for my MA program...he's a lovely tabby named Nigel! :)

Great idea!  Cats make excellent study buddies.  I got one after I moved to my apartment for my MA program...he's a lovely tabby named Nigel! :)
By "excellent study buddies," are you referring to them sleeping on your open book so you don't have to read, or walking on your keyboard, so you don't have to type (or, if you have already typed, standing on the delete key for 10 minutes)?

Hey guys :)

Just wanted to talk to someone who understands the hardships of this admission process. I'm an international applicant, so it's even more difficult for me to get accepted to a program with funding. 

Only my mom and a close friend know that I'm applying this year. And both of them are sure that I will make it. However, I've been reading this forum for around 3 years now, and I know that I might get lucky or just as well might be left out in the cold. The deadlines for my programs are Feb 1st and 15th, so I know that I have at least one month of waiting ahead of me, and it's killing me already. I'm mentally preparing myself for another round of applications next year, but still trying to think positive (who knows, maybe it works when you're trying to imagine good things instead of bad? :))

My mood changes drastically throughout the day: one minute I'm all self-confident, thinking that my chances are rather high, and the next I'm sure that nothing good will come out of this applications. I guess it's a common feature here :)

And yeah, congrats to everyone who's already been accepted!! 

i understand how you feel, I am also an international student, i go to work every day feeling scared and moody, the only thing keeping me going is just the thought that i might get in but i applied to a single school so i am so very scared. all the best though

Does anyone just wish it were summer already?  That's how I feel.  

Yes! I just want to get past all the waiting and not knowing and start planning already.

At this point I spend Mondays waiting for the East coast to wake up :/

Yes! I just want to get past all the waiting and not knowing and start planning already.

At this point I spend Mondays waiting for the East coast to wake up :/

I spend until 3pm waiting for the day to start in the US...and then end up hoping for a response up until midnight.  Stupid time zones...

I'm losing my mind because one of my recommenders has gone AWOL before sending all my letters.  Just shot off another email, fingers crossed. And in the meantime, I kind of wish I'd never found that Results Search.. 

Also an international applicant (well, a current international student applying to grad school). I try not to think about the pressure. It's too unnerving. 

But hopefully we'll hear back soon! 

I realized this morning that Mondays or even weekends don't mean much to me in terms of adcoms anymore. I haven't heard a peep from a school in almost 3 weeks. I know 4 that I haven't heard from have already invited or conducted interviews. I guess I'm just waiting for the official rejections to show up.

Guys, I'm depressed and I really want to complain, so bear with me (or ignore this post). I figured out yesterday that I forgot to upload a document to my application for my top choice school, so its been marked as incomplete this whole time. And somehow, despite the fact that I've checked the status page multiple times, I've managed to miss that that part was missing (...its a really poorly designed status page). So I talked to the grad secretary today and she had me upload the document and she told me that final decisions were being made this week and that they will look at my application now that its complete. So presumably I still have a chance, but I feel as though if a grad committee had already been deliberating (and I know they sent out a few interviews already) and suddenly they get a new application they won't look at it too closely.

Really though, I applied to 11 schools and of all the applications for me to make a mistake on, it had to be my top choice. On the application that I probably double checked 15 times before turning in. It really sucks. More than just being rejected for not being a strong enough applicant. Not to mention that this school is my last chance to be anywhere near my SO because he's getting his Ph.D. at a different school in the area. So as silly as it is, I feel like if we break up because of distance now, it might be because I forgot to upload a dumb document onto an application. 

Anyway, that is all. I'm having a stressful day.

Ohmysocks,

Never apologize for ranting on a thread about losing your mind! I'm praying for you! Every feeling you have is natural for you. Be thankful you didn't realize it NEXT week AFTER final decisions were made! #silverlining

Edited by EdYouKateOr

I realized this morning that Mondays or even weekends don't mean much to me in terms of adcoms anymore. I haven't heard a peep from a school in almost 3 weeks. I know 4 that I haven't heard from have already invited or conducted interviews. I guess I'm just waiting for the official rejections to show up.
Don't give up hope! Still time left!

Hi all. Just got back to (old) England from a set of admission interviews in New England. It was totally exciting and I got first acceptances, yay! But now I can't focus on my current work anymore. What is more, I will be back in the US for more interviews in early March so I anticipate minimal productivity for the coming weeks. I can't wait having made a decision so that I will finally get adrenaline down and focus on actual work again haha. This thread definitely is a great place to reassure oneself that one is not alone in this madness. So thank you all for sharing your thoughts :)

Hi all. Just got back to (old) England from a set of admission interviews in New England. It was totally exciting and I got first acceptances, yay! But now I can't focus on my current work anymore. What is more, I will be back in the US for more interviews in early March so I anticipate minimal productivity for the coming weeks. I can't wait having made a decision so that I will finally get adrenaline down and focus on actual work again haha. This thread definitely is a great place to reassure oneself that one is not alone in this madness. So thank you all for sharing your thoughts :)
l Congrats on your acceptances!!! :););):)

Really though, I applied to 11 schools and of all the applications for me to make a mistake on, it had to be my top choice. On the application that I probably double checked 15 times before turning in. It really sucks. More than just being rejected for not being a strong enough applicant. Not to mention that this school is my last chance to be anywhere near my SO because he's getting his Ph.D. at a different school in the area. So as silly as it is, I feel like if we break up because of distance now, it might be because I forgot to upload a dumb document onto an application. 

Anyway, that is all. I'm having a stressful day.

:( At least you caught it and they are still going to look at it!  There's still hope!

So, I'm a state employee, and during the course of a meeting this morning, I heard that there will be a preliminary budget presented on Wednesday.  It occurs to me that one reason why I haven't seen many results from a certain public university might be because they will need to learn how *their* budget will be impacted.  In a strange way, this theory comforts me.