Anyone else losing their damn mind?

gradorbust

I'm starting to feel like a kid just before Christmas....the anticipation is killing me! :o

At least with Christmas you know when you'll have the answer.

I feel that paying 80+ dollars entitles me to at least an email saying my acceptance status has been made and that I should check the website.

Unless they want us to keep paranoid-checking the status online.

I'm glad Spring Break starts from Friday. I can finally visit my family in another state. Knowing that they will be there when (if) the decisions come out next week makes me feel better!

I NEED those decisions!!!!!!!!! :wacko:

I feel that paying 80+ dollars entitles me to at least an email saying my acceptance status has been made and that I should check the website.

Unless they want us to keep paranoid-checking the status online.

I agree, but I was not afforded this courtesy yesterday when I just happened to stumble across my rejection. They still haven't informed me that it's there. 

Agreed as well. Thankfully all of my schools have at least emailed me that my decision is available.

The one that makes me really sad is the one that only gives rejection notices via snail mail

Oh, just what I needed, a twitch under my eye.  Because the knots in my stomach weren't reminding me enough of the stress... :wacko:  :P

You and me both! 

Dear AdCom Gods and Goddesses,

Its me, the student who got in all of her apps and paperwork weeks before the deadline. You know the one who normally gets everything in late but thought that applying to grad school was too important to engage in the same old behavior. Well, its been a few months now and I just thought since you've had my apps, recommendations, scores and transcripts for so long that you might not only know whether or not I'm accepted to your university but inclined to tell me, too.

Sorry to interrupt your work flow and all. I'm trying to grade a mountain of papers myself here in Never Never Land. I just wanted you to know that I'm really, really, really, really, really ready to know.......now.

Yours truly.

Edited by RandiZ

Funding decisions - that's what's stopping me, at least. I have no idea what kind of scholarships I may or may not get since those apps were just due last week. And even with those scholarships, those schools to which I've been accepted only cover tuition and not living expenses. 

:mellow:

What about loans?Is there just a staunch refusal on your part to accrue any debt? I would go ahead and take on the debt rather than let lack of funding hold me back... 

What about loans?Is there just a staunch refusal on your part to accrue any debt? I would go ahead and take on the debt rather than let lack of funding hold me back... 

Especially for a PhD, its highly advisable that you don't go unless you have funding. There really isn't any reason to pursue a PhD without funding. Besides, add that to undergraduate debt and you could graduate with well over 200k in student loans

Whenever there is a student v. teachers/faculty/admin issue in life I am always prone to taking the complaints against both sides with a grain of salt because there is usually a good reason for why people do the things they do.

For instance, as an applicant, I am severely frustrated at this system and how much of a burden it is on my life. However, I am also mindful of the fact that Ad Com people aren't going through a walk in the park right now either.

But seriously, there HAS to be a better way to deal with all of this grad school admissions mumbo jumbo. It would be so much easier on EVERYONE on both sides.

I think any logical person would want to hear about funding before committing to a program. If the person is applying for a PhD then I think it makes sense to refuse to go unless its fully covered, but even masters applicants will want to at least know what they are getting into. I'm going to be taking out some loans for my masters, but that doesn’t mean I just throw caution to the wind and accept a program without at least understanding the situation.

I think any logical person would want to hear about funding before committing to a program. If the person is applying for a PhD then I think it makes sense to refuse to go unless its fully covered, but even masters applicants will want to at least know what they are getting into. I'm going to be taking out some loans for my masters, but that doesn’t mean I just throw caution to the wind and accept a program without at least understanding the situation.

I agree. If you've decided to commit the next two years of your life into researching, you might as well do the financial cost research before committing. You owe to your future self.

FYI,

Yes I'm still losing my damn mind. Haven't heard from a single school yet. Maybe this Friday? Don't know.

Edited by Kadisha

Literally mailed my application less than a week ago and am already freaking out. 

Weirdest thing was how hard it was to drop the damn thing into the mailbox.

Especially for a PhD, its highly advisable that you don't go unless you have funding. There really isn't any reason to pursue a PhD without funding. Besides, add that to undergraduate debt and you could graduate with well over 200k in student loans

I respectfully and completely disagree. If given the choice between abandoning my academic plans and taking on debt, I will choose debt. Do I care about funding in the PhD programs I've applied to? Of course I do. But I'll be damned If I'll just quit if all I am able to secure is a program with little or no funding. When one considers the lifetime earning potential of a PhD, even 200K is not unworkable. May I ask how you've arrived at such an opinion? Do you have any student debt? I don't think the integrity and viability of pursuing a career path should be weighed against money; but that is, in the end, my own opinion. First and foremost, my doctorate will be for my own academic enrichment and that of the discipline to which I belong. Money is a distant third. 

Edited by NightGallery

The post to which I responded, to me seemed to indicate that lack of funding was deal breaker — not just something that was merely undesirable.

I respectfully and completely disagree. If given the choice between abandoning my academic plans and taking on debt, I will choose debt. Do I care about funding in the PhD programs I've applied to? Of course I do. But I'll be damned If I'll just quit if all I am able to secure is a program with little or no funding. When one considers the lifetime earning potential of a PhD, even 200K is not unworkable. May I ask how you've arrived at such an opinion? Do you have any student debt? I don't think the integrity and viability of pursuing a career path should be weighed against money; but that is, in the end, my own opinion. First and foremost, my doctorate will be for my own academic enrichment and that of the discipline to which I belong. Money is a distant third. 

I think that sets up a false dilemma where your choices are are either go with no funding or don't go at all. There's always the third choice of waiting a year or two, doing something to improve your application and applying again. 

And I think its going to vary vastly from field to field, I know that I could get a job right now making at least 70k at an entry level, so if I went to an unfunded Ph.D. program (and say I was paying 30k in tuition), that would be a difference in 100k per year (not even taking into account promotions). And if I decide to stay in an academia I will undoubtedly be making less than I would have been in an industry job at that point. Even if I go back to industry, I doubt the modest salary increase would make up for the half million difference during my 5 years in a Ph.D. program. 

I have been told time and time again, that especially in the sciences, I should not go to grad school without finacial support. And the arguments make sense. Your conducting research in someone's lab to better their reputation and further their career as well as your own. You should not be working in their lab for free. So yes, in the absence of any financial support I would say no. Most anyone will say you should have at least some kind of funding. 

Furthermore, the salary of a PhD doesn't justify that kind of debt, especially that late in your life. And honestly the earning potential isn't that much increased with a PhD, it just opens up the things you can do. Having work experience actually increases your salary more. 

And yes I want to do work I'm interested in, but living in America isn't free and the money does matter. I'm hoping to get a PhD because I want to do research as a career and if that means I need to wait and strengthen my applications before going so I do get funding then that's what I'll do

Reatha, you sound like somebody who's got their shit together- Good for you!

It's quite admirable to be able to make the sacrifices necessary to get what you want and need instead of just succumbing to the present offer.

I wish you well.