Anyone else losing their damn mind?

gradorbust

I guess I'm having a moment today. Overwhelming feelings of insufficiency and what-the-hell-am-I-doing-ness. No more decisions yet, either. Sigh. This needs to be over soon. Also it's too early in the damned morning to be introspective.

I am new the forum and I just needed to vent. As if this process isn't excruciating enough, I was just rejected from a school that I did not even send an application to! So far accepted to 3, rejected from 1 (or 2 if you include the school that I didn't apply to!) and waiting on 6.

That reminds me of back during undergrad when I had started an application for a school (a fairly selective top-30 UG), not turned in an essay, recommendations, not paid the fee and not submitted he application, and I not only got an acceptance, I received a 20k per year scholarship. I had already gotten into my top choice, so I didn't actually get to find out what would happen if I accepted it. 

I'm all but rejected from one school since none of the professors are accepting more students and another school I think I messed up on my SoP by not mentioning my PoI and mentioning PoIs that are no longer accepting students. So, I'm down to two schools and things aren't looking good for the third (keep having mysterious 'application issues) and its too early to tell for the fourth. As for that fourth I might have a case of foot in mouth in the email chain I'm in with the last PoI. I hate this, starting to remind me of last year. Why does this have to be so difficult? It's a master's I'll be paying. Geeze.

YES I am losing my mind.  Only TODAY was my online application checklist fully updated even though transcripts were sent over a MONTH ago.

So the school is only just now seriously reviewing my application.  The school tends to make its decisions fairly late anyway, so I don't think I've missed the boat or anything.  BUT STILL. 

:blink:

Jmarti, if it makes you feel any better, some of the best Grad school success stories I've heard are from ppl that were rejected the first time around. In fact my friend keeps telling me to just buck up and apply to the same school again the next year, because that's how she got in. Sometimes this stuff is such a crapshoot... Ugh.

It does make me feel better. It also makes me feel better to know that so many people go through the application process more than once- it may not be a reflection on me! I'll spend the next few months strengthening my application and trying to make myself stand out. This is my dream, what I've been working towards. I can't let one minor roadblock keep me from doing what I love.

I wasn't losing my mind until recently. I did a fairly good job, I think, of just letting the time go by and being content with waiting. But enough is enough! lol... I haven't been able to get anything done in the last few days, can't focus on anything else. *Sigh*.  So yeah, i'm startin' to...

I'm still waiting on my (current) first choice. I was okay immediately after the interviews and the visit. I was stable and thought I had a good chance. But its been almost a full month of radio silence from them (to me or anyone else AFAIK). And now I've convinced myself that I'm rejected from there and am losing it.

School Name: James Madison University

Degree: PhD

Type: Psychological Assessment and Measurement

How were you notified: website

Not admitted: 2
Still waiting: 5 

Wishing everyone the best of luck on their applications! This is my second year applying to programs and I am okay with that because I am almost finished with a M.S. degree and subsequently so have my research interests in the field. This is NOT the end of your world. We are bigger than this saturated, non-transparent process. I like to believe that everything happens for a reason; however, I also believe in miracles! Chin up guys! Lets keep each other thinking positive! 

I anonymously called the graduate coordinator to try to see where they are in the admission process. I learned that they have "made some of their offers, but have not made all of their offers"

great thanks

Ugh, I am going absolutely bonkers waiting. I've yet to hear from five schools, and the longer I wait, the more resigned I am to the fact that whatever I'm going to hear isn't good news. I feel like I can't make alternative plans- applying to MS or post-bac programs, moving out and working as a lab tech, etc. etc.- until I hear back. But the longer I wait, the smaller the window becomes to actually go and implement Plans C-Z...::aaaaahhhh:::

It's like my own personal purgatory! ::lolsob::

I am new the forum and I just needed to vent. As if this process isn't excruciating enough, I was just rejected from a school that I did not even send an application to! 

How does that even happen?? Ugh!

I hate those 'no-answer' answers. Did you find out what kind of timeline they are on? Like do you know when you should hear by?  Oh, and a lot of those offices have call display so be sure that you block your # if you really want to be 'anonymous'! :P

I anonymously called the graduate coordinator to try to see where they are in the admission process. I learned that they have "made some of their offers, but have not made all of their offers"

great thanks

Just to share with those who have received rejections and have fewer programs to hear back from, I applied to 13 programs and got 12 rejections. I got 1 acceptance and it was to a really good program at one that was one of my "reach" schools. Despite my recently strong academic performance, I had a lot to make up for. It just takes the right school being willing to take a chance on you, so don't necessarily give up hope!

I am new the forum and I just needed to vent. As if this process isn't excruciating enough, I was just rejected from a school that I did not even send an application to! So far accepted to 3, rejected from 1 (or 2 if you include the school that I didn't apply to!) and waiting on 6.

WTF? That is evil!

hi all,

kinda like lmac.... i got word from the last school i applied to and i got in. waiting on funding information which seems like a big challenge. but note: i got rejected from the first 7 schools that i applied to. 

i recently talked to a co-worker who told me that his wife applied to phd programs for 3 rounds until she got in. if you want it keep going for it. it only takes one.

I used to love weekends, now I hate them. 

I never thought I would long for business days as much as I do now. I look forward to Mondays, because they at least holds the possibility of some news, maybe a letter or an email... anything is better than NOTHING! I have heard from all of my schools regarding admission decisions, but I'm still waiting on a few things before I make my final choice. 

I can only imagine how much worse this must be if you are waiting on an admissions decision. 

hi all,   kinda like lmac.... i got word from the last school i applied to and i got in. waiting on funding information which seems like a big challenge. but note: i got rejected from the first 7 schools that i applied to.    i recently talked to a co-worker who told me that his wife applied to phd programs for 3 rounds until she got in. if you want it keep going for it. it only takes one.
I did not mean to vote your post down! iPad fell out of my hand as I was tring to vote up. I thought there was a way to fix it, but not readily apparent right now! COngrats on getting in!!!!!

It is unfathomable to me that schools think it's okay to let us know less than a month before the deadline for us to accept.

I honestly don't know if I can handle the pressure of having another school on the table (especially because the one I'm waiting for is particularly renowned around my department for whatever reason) but I can't help but keep obsessively waiting for an E-mail.

It is unfathomable to me that schools think it's okay to let us know less than a month before the deadline for us to accept.

I honestly don't know if I can handle the pressure of having another school on the table (especially because the one I'm waiting for is particularly renowned around my department for whatever reason) but I can't help but keep obsessively waiting for an E-mail.

Ugh i agree >:(  i REALLY like two of the schools I was accepted to, and I will most likely end up attending one of them, but I'd still like to hear from the remaining two schools in Texas.  

Hi all. I applied for fall 2013 virtual MSW at USC. ( My only application) :) I am so grateful someone suggested this site to me, because I thought I was alone in my crazy. Turns out I'm not! Waiting= agony! Anyone else applying to MSW at USC?