Anyone else losing their damn mind?

gradorbust

I just got this:

Reading "we we pleased to..." made my heart beat faster... for nothing.

I got something similar from BU - "We are pleased to acknowledge.."  I almost died on the spot. :) and then I was like "nooooo!"

I don't know how I'm getting through the days other than adrenaline. I'm writing a book (due to publisher by Feb. 1) so that keeps me busy, plus work, my family/kids, 3 conferences I'm presenting at, and my semester starts next week. I'm waiting for my grades from last semester still (one program wants them) and admissions decisions from 2 programs -- I don't think they're coming before mid-February at the earliest. I'm super freaked out about whether or not I'm moving, selling my house, buying a house, putting my kids in a new school/church, all of it. Very overwhelming and all riding on whether I even get in! I don't think I can sustain this for another month or more!

So, after a nice 13 hour workday yesterday, I got home and checked my email and saw one that said "Sociology PhD Application" and got excited for a moment before I realized it was the program responding to an email that *I* had sent them asking about one of my supplementary materials.  Lol.  

Oh - and I found a way to keep my mind off of apps, though only momentarily.  I teach test prep courses and just started back with a new class... so for 3 hours, I have no internet access and no free second to think.  So, for those 3 hours I am in bliss.   :D  

I am trying every distraction method I can think of (writing a book, training for a triathlon etc.), but the only thing that's proven successful so far is whiskey and shitty movies. It's like a bad breakup, except the breakup part hasn't happened yet. Lord knows what I'll be like when decisions actually start coming in.

I am trying every distraction method I can think of (writing a book, training for a triathlon etc.), but the only thing that's proven successful so far is whiskey and shitty movies. It's like a bad breakup, except the breakup part hasn't happened yet. Lord knows what I'll be like when decisions actually start coming in.

I am training for a half marathon, so that helps a bit.  I, too, have been watching a lot of crap movies and having a "nightcap"... ha... zoning out in front of the TV does wonders for lulling the crazy into submission.

Exercise no longer works because it's alone time with my own thoughts. I'm starting to dread it, when I used to look forward to it. I've taken to only using the treadmill with movies/TV shows on my iPad because I can exercise away the pent up energy but still focus on something other than the waiting. But it's getting very boring, doing the same thing every day. 

Yeah... totally losing it. Just remembered that a week from now, I'll be waiting on my turn to get on the airplane to go to my interview... The only one I've been offered so far. At my top school. >.<

Haven't heard back from anywhere (although I applied to science/engineering programs), but I'll stay optimistic. 

Yeah... totally losing it. Just remembered that a week from now, I'll be waiting on my turn to get on the airplane to go to my interview... The only one I've been offered so far. At my top school. >.<

Biotechie, did you submit your Baylor College application early (before the deadline)? I submitted mine Jan 1st, so I am not expecting to hear from them any time soon.

Biotechie, did you submit your Baylor College application early (before the deadline)? I submitted mine Jan 1st, so I am not expecting to hear from them any time soon.

Yes, I submitted at the original deadline, which was December 1, before they extended it. I got notified that I would be interviewed the week before Christmas.

Is anybody else getting a ton of emails from programs they didn't apply to, trying to get you to apply (no thank you, have applied to too many as it is).

They're mostly from lower- or un-ranked programs I think, but I just got a pretty creepy one with the heading "Accept My Invitation, [my name]".

For some reason, it reminded me of a bad pick-up line.

Is anybody else getting a ton of emails from programs they didn't apply to, trying to get you to apply (no thank you, have applied to too many as it is).

They're mostly from lower- or un-ranked programs I think, but I just got a pretty creepy one with the heading "Accept My Invitation, [my name]".

For some reason, it reminded me of a bad pick-up line.

A couple but it was more from programs where I'd started applications and hadn't (yet) finished. Harvard sent me about 12 between Christmas and New Year's. Every time I was like, "Calm down, Harvard, you will get your $105."

Losing my mind for a different reason. My first interview is in exactly a week! Freaked out because I wanted an interview, now freaking out over the interview! Be careful what you wish for!

Biotechie, I know how you feel. I wish my first interview wasn't at my top school though, don't want to use it as an experimental interview.

Is anybody else getting a ton of emails from programs they didn't apply to, trying to get you to apply (no thank you, have applied to too many as it is). They're mostly from lower- or un-ranked programs I think, but I just got a pretty creepy one with the heading "Accept My Invitation, [my name]". For some reason, it reminded me of a bad pick-up line.
I believe the ones I get are because I signed up for some school search thing when I took the GRE. I got a lot of them early on, which I liked because it introduced me to soem progams I hadn't known about. Now, however, I keep getting emails from the same 3 or 4 schools (mostly medical schools, which I'm not interested in) that keep inviting me to open houses and online gy.graduate fairs. I also keep getting letters in the mail from programs that have nothing to do with my intended program of study, like architecture and sociology.

Losing my mind for a different reason. My first interview is in exactly a week! Freaked out because I wanted an interview, now freaking out over the interview! Be careful what you wish for!

Biotechie, I know how you feel. I wish my first interview wasn't at my top school though, don't want to use it as an experimental interview.

Good luck, IE! I'm sure it will go fine, especially if you are really excited about the program.

YES!! this is exactly what I wish!

now back to email refreshing....

So, I was stalking the Results Forum and realized that even though my "earliest" school notified people January 20 last year... the year before that someone got an acceptance on January 14... which was the second Friday in January... which is tomorrow the 11th.  Now I'm thinking, hey they could notify me tomorrow!  LOL.  This is where my brain is right now.  DelusionLand.  La la la la la...

So, I was stalking the Results Forum and realized that even though my "earliest" school notified people January 20 last year... the year before that someone got an acceptance on January 14... which was the second Friday in January... which is tomorrow the 11th.  Now I'm thinking, hey they could notify me tomorrow!  LOL.  This is where my brain is right now.  DelusionLand.  La la la la la...

the results page can be dangerous, but oh so therapeutic!! haha

That results forum is going to be the end of me, too. Last year, someone got accepted on January 24 to one of my programs and Febtuary 15 to the other, but there aren't many posts for either. There were some earlier rejections, too. I just want to know.

LOLOLOLOOLOLOL me toooooooo!

I wish I could just hibernate for the next month, and when I came out, POOF, all of the decisions would be sitting in my Inbox!   :D

I just wish humanities programs could let us know sooner, preferably before my classes and assistantship start in a couple of weeks. I'd feel (hopefully) much better walking into my last semester at my current program if I had some idea of what was coming next.

It doesn't help that my younger cousin is applying to undergrad now, so she's hearing back from places and I have relatives and family friends going "So, [cousin] just got into School X. Didn't you apply there? Have you heard anything?" And I have to sigh and explain that the application process for a BS in biomedical engineering and a PhD in musicology are slightly different.