Who all are waiting for CS PhD Decisions?

vision15

I am currently losing my mind and my high pressure job as a developer ain't helping either. Does everyone feel this way? I mean its only January and am paranoid, don't know what will happen in the future.

What about you guys? Anyone who has applied for PhD in CS? Anybody got a decision? If so then please give a shout out! If not then we can run riot together :P

Cheers,

paranoid dude :P

Yes! I have one more application to submit, and I've yet to hear back from anywhere (it's still a little too early). I'm going crazy waiting, though. Doesn't help that CS people seem to be underrepresented (or at least not very vocal) on this forum; I was starting to think I was the only one!

Does anyone know if CS adcomms conduct interviews? I haven't seen it referenced on any CS admissions site, even though it's so common in other disciplines.

I think its more of an unofficial interview that one might have with his/ her person of interest from the department and it can be at the time of prof-letting or after applying.

I had 2 Skype and a couple of other chat "interviews" with some of the professors even before I applied to those schools, but I don't think its mandatory and all as I have seen many get in without ever facing one.

I think its more of an unofficial interview that one might have with his/ her person of interest from the department and it can be at the time of prof-letting or after applying.

I had 2 Skype and a couple of other chat "interviews" with some of the professors even before I applied to those schools, but I don't think its mandatory and all as I have seen many get in without ever facing one.

I had a similar "interview" with one POI a while ago, but it was months before I submitted my app. I'm not sure whether I'd really like an interview so I can hear even SOMETHING regarding my application, or if that'd be a cause for more freak-out.

@dat_nerd: You had a Skype interview? And I think getting an interview call is definitely a good sign even if its an informal as it makes you aware that you are on their radar and they are looking into you. I have seen very few people get rejected after doing well in them, so that's a positive we can away take from this but I really started freaking out in the beginning of both of my Skype interviews and the professors showed empathy and calmed me down! :D

BTW you got a cool name :P

@fall13applicant Thanks!  :)

Congrats on the two interviews! It definitely seems like a good sign and a way of expressing yourself outside the application. Did you have your interviews before or after applying?

I don't know man, I don't think its a done deal before you actually get the decision and that too has to come with funding for me. So keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best.

And both of my interviews happened before I actually applied to the program, what about you? What's your profile like? I am assuming its awesome as I see some real biggies on your list :D

Crossing fingers for you too. Your profile looks really great, so I'm excited to hear how it goes!

My "interview" also happened before I applied. My profile is two research projects, an unpublished technical report, 3.93/4.0 GPA, and 327 GRE score. I know it's not up to the level of several of the places I've applied (especially on the publications side), but you never know unless you try, right?

Edited by dat_nerd

I also haven't heard anything, and I am getting more nervous by the day.  Good luck to all of you!  :)  Please post any results once you hear them, so that the rest of use may have some idea of when to expect an answer! 

@dat_nerd: Your profile looks very good to me! Am sure you'll get into at least a couple of places on your list, good luck!

@Casper14: I think you can expect them to start giving out decisions by the end of this month and I have heard if anyone gets luck from the waitlist then they get notified around March end or early April. These are some scary times if you ask me! :(

Edited by fall13applicant

I noticed a couple of CS PhD applicants just posted their acceptances on the results page. Whoever you are, congrats!!!! :)

And as for me... I believe it's time to commence the "frenzied email checking" mode.

I noticed a couple of CS PhD applicants just posted their acceptances on the results page. Whoever you are, congrats!!!! :)

And as for me... I believe it's time to commence the "frenzied email checking" mode.

And that is the official starting point for me to freak out, because I applied to UCSD and have not heard back anything from them.

Ps: Congrats to the ones that got accepted!

@dat_nerd: I mailed all the grad co-ordinators in panic yesterday after seeing that..most of them gave me the standard "you'll hear when we want you to hear" lecture...freaking out like anything now!

@JISNEGRO: Oh UCSD...last time they gave so many unfunded PhD admits that I stopped myself from applying even though I had prof contact...that's one crazy school! Good luck to you am sure you'll make it!

@fall13applicant My apologies, I didn't mean to cause any panic! I've heard that not all programs send out admits/rejects at once, but that some instead send them over a few weeks. 

Good luck everyone!!

I am also checking my email way too often!  In my time zone, I get home from work when most people start their day in the US.  So I find myself sleeping with my phone right next to my bed so I can have a glimpse at my email if I should wake up during the night.  That doesn't sound healthy at all, and the worst is that I know I might have to wait until late February to hear my first answer... 

Thank you to those who have posted their results on the Results Search page!

Any news anyone? I have simply lost it! Having all sorts of dreams and nightmares and I just can't stop second guessing myself...the personal statement I wrote over the course of 3.5 months now seems totally banal and vapid to me! I am doomed!!! :(

@OhMySocks: Hey you got an admit from RPI? Great! Congrats!

@fall13applicant

Thanks! I just got an email a few days ago, still waiting to hear from the department on funding. Was really surprsied to hear so early but I had seen one or two people on Results Search that got emails from them already, so it doesn't look like they send out admissions in batches. Its not one of my top choices but it is nice knowing that I have an option, and its a good confidence booster when the first thing I get is an admit. And I'm sure your SOP isn't banal and vapid, . you've just read it one too many times. It can be so hard to step back and judge your own application objectively when you've spent so much time on it. 

Does anyone know if the Cornell admit is legit or not?

I was a bit surprised to see only a single admit from Cornell, but it doesn't seem too early to be possible. I imagine they'll send the rest of their acceptance letters in a couple weeks however.