What are you listening to?

Faraday

("progressive") bluegrass is good for the soul!

"truly, underneath the stars, there are a million ways to be the way you are.."

("'neath the stars" by railroad earth)

"in my own defense, i don't believe that i.. was born.. this complicated"

("complicated" by yonder mountain string band)

all around devestatingly great lyrics. chris thile is a beast!

("you are" by punch brothers) Edited by pears

I have this playlist literally titled "PICK ME" & is basically a motivational playlist with songs like 'Fly', 'Don't Rain on my Parade', & 'World's Greatest' on it that I've been listening to pretty much all application season. 

But today I decided to switch it up & I'm listening to all the Ron Pope I have in my iTunes.

• 1 month later...

For the last month I've been listening to all of the Death Cab for Cutie albums on random. As of two days ago I switched to listening to the album "Beautiful Midnight" by Matthew Good Band.

Some song called "Wind and Water" by Nature. I Pandora'd calm relaxation music. Have to keep my nerves in check somehow in these final few days of waiting. 

+1 to faraday's comment. i'm really stoked! and i'm only here in SF for a half-year job, and i'll probably be moving at least once more for work before i go to missoula. i'm from nj/nyc, and— no offense to my home side/the (b)east coast, but — it's not for me, for many reasons. in the last year i've lived 6 different places, and SF is the closest i've come to feeling like i've found my place in the world. missoula seems like it'll have a mix of many things i like. :)

but, to answer the question: yes, i'm f-in' nuts, but mostly in good ways ;)

faraday: have you heard bowie's cover of "cactus" by them?

+1 to faraday's comment. i'm really stoked! and i'm only here in SF for a half-year job, and i'll probably be moving at least once more for work before i go to missoula. i'm from nj/nyc, and— no offense to my home side/the (b)east coast, but — it's not for me, for many reasons. in the last year i've lived 6 different places, and SF is the closest i've come to feeling like i've found my place in the world. missoula seems like it'll have a mix of many things i like. :)

I just listened to it, good song!

Currently, "Clocks" (Live) by Coldplay

Are you crazy? That sounds awesome.

On topic: "Where Is My Mind" by Pixies.

Great movie by the way.

Pixies just celebrated the 25th anniversary of Surfer Rosa. :)

Pixies just celebrated the 25th anniversary of Surfer Rosa. :)

one of my most prized possessions is an unopened surfer rosa vinyl LP from one of my best friends! maaan do i love the pixies. listening to the entirety of doolittle now, just 'cause.

well I'm from the midwest... and it's not for me. tell me what about the east coast didn't you like? are people mean or something?

well I'm from the midwest... and it's not for me. tell me what about the east coast didn't you like? are people mean or something?

i think a common misconception of east coasters is that they're mean, which isn't true; there are just different social standards and expectations of how you act, which are perceived as being antisocial, e.g., avoiding eye contact and pointless conversation with strangers, because most people are busy professionals, overloaded students, the occasional snobbish new moms in yoga pants, scary bums who want to grope you because you made half a second of eye contact, et al. it's a mix of being courteous by giving people their space and keeping yourself safe. i've found, also, that people in east coast cities put a lot of effort into appearances, and, for lack of a better way to express my feelings about it: "ain't nobody got time fo' that."

the expectations don't overlap with how i am naturally: i'm pretty soft-spoken, but i like to chat with people, and i'm "crunchy" (read: i spend a lot of time in fleece and flannel, on a mountain or in a river, eating organic avocados and shaking my fist at the man in between rounds of reading emerson). i found it very difficult to steal away from the social expectations and hustle-and-bustle of NYC in particular; boston was better, but it was still a solid hour or two of driving to NH for my favorite hikes. people at home look at me like i'm a weirdo for wearing birkenstocks and saying "hello" to strangers while in the grocery line. by manhattan standards, i'm invading their space, but in SF, few people seem to mind.

i grew up in a nice suburb and migrated to a really nice part of nyc, and went to school surrounded by some of the nicest parts of boston, so i've had a very biased experience on the east coast. in general, i'd just say it's less rough around the edges and more fast-paced, which is for some, but not me. there's also very little work for me on the east coast.

I am so unbelievably old.  Ugh.

Yeah, that album came out when I was in high school, and I saw them perform with Love & Rockets a few years later!