How much is too much?

Hello!! So thankful for this community....

Anyway, I'm writing the SOP and really conflicted with how much I should "brag" /or share about regarding things like:

My parents Ivy League history (Harvard, Columbia, Penn)

Their line of work

I know it should be relevant to why I want to pursue the program, my goals, etc...I wish I could just find a way to ease it in without sounding like I'm name dropping, etc

Any suggestions?

I agree with everyone else, do not mention this.

Seriously, what good do you think it will do?  
Do you think that because your parents are somebody you should be treated any differently? 

What if it did make a difference? Would you be willing to give up your spot in graduate school so someone with even more important parents could join?

But really, do not mention your parents- I'm sure you're intelligent, and talented enough to accomplish this without them.

As others have said, don't mention it. It's not relevant at all. If you were on an adcom, would you want to admit a demonstrably excellent student or one who brags about her parents? Use the space in your SOP wisely - on convincing the adcom that you are worth the time, money and effort that are invested in each graduate student that is accepted into the department.

As others have said, don't mention it. It's not relevant at all. If you were on an adcom, would you want to admit a demonstrably excellent student or one who brags about her parents? Use the space in your SOP wisely - on convincing the adcom that you are worth the time, money and effort that are invested in each graduate student that is accepted into the department.
I read in another thread (my apologies to the source...I tried to credit you, but can't find it), to exhaust the topic, not the reader. Write as if you were the one who had to read it. Definitely have several people read it to give you critique. One thing that helped me was to have people who knew me at different times (youth, UG, grad, work) to read it. They pointed out accomplishments I had forgotten!

Hello!! So thankful for this community....

Anyway, I'm writing the SOP and really conflicted with how much I should "brag" /or share about regarding things like:

My parents Ivy League history (Harvard, Columbia, Penn)

Their line of work

I know it should be relevant to why I want to pursue the program, my goals, etc...I wish I could just find a way to ease it in without sounding like I'm name dropping, etc

Any suggestions?

I agree with everyone. There is no reason to mention your parents, their Ivy League schools, or what they do.

I'm going into cell biology and immunology. Would it make sense for me to mention that my dad is an electrician? Not at all. I did mention my dad in my SOP, though... to explain my interest in genetics and cancer biology... but this was because he was a cancer patient. THAT is one way I was able to include him and it is relevant to why I want to pursue my goals. You are not your parents. You need to show them that you are an individual, and that you are capable of great things... outside of your parents' nest.

Do not brag. At all. Explain how awesome you are with confidence and also remain humble. You really should be able to get your points to them without having to brag. Good writers can put their passion and pride in their accomplishments into their SOP very easily. I was able to show how passionate I was by including the story about my dad, as well as a couple of my friends/family members. I explained the impact it had on me and how it changed how I look at science... and how I grew into the scientist I am today. I included how that previous experience will help the program shape me into the scientist I want to become. It made my PI cry.

I always think of admissions committees as gorillas that are easily bored and in need of a cigarette. You want them to read your essay, and you want to pull them in. You want them to hold onto your words, and you want them to feel like you are standing there reading your essay to them. You want to be something they will remember for more than 5 minutes, something that makes them forget about that cigarette, something that reminds them that you are human and so are they. You want to stand out because you are special, and because they see your potential... not because of something your parents did.

Edited by biotechie

Thanks everyone. I figured this was probably what I would hear. I rationalized that since my parents both graduated with degrees within the same field I am pursuing- and the immersion of psychology and learning I was exposed to at an early age helped shape my interests and in that way, their backgrounds are relevant....not so much bragging but just saying that they were heavily into learning, education, etc and loved the field of psychology.   I mention it sort of like: 'as a product of my parents (description of their education and training in psych), I was exposed to the world of psychology at an early age....' ....But I suppose that could come off as bragging or attempting to "rely" on something that I really should not.

Anyway, my background is a bit different. Directly out of high school (9 years ago), I went to college and did very poorly. I wasn't ready. Several years later, I was refocused and much more mature. I returned to school and have maintained a GPA over 3.5 ever since. However, I have since married and had two children (while still working on my undergrad)...and while being a mother has been the greatest gift in the world, it has put a damper on my ability to spend a lot of time beyond coursework and the kids (and a part time job). Thus, my resume is not SUPER in terms of experience, research, volenteer work, etc....so maybe my lack of confidence comes from the thinking that I need all the help I can get....

Edited by SchoolPsychGirl

Thanks everyone. I figured this was probably what I would hear. I rationalized that since my parents both graduated with degrees within the same field I am pursuing- and the immersion of psychology and learning I was exposed to at an early age helped shape my interests and in that way, their backgrounds are relevant....not so much bragging but just saying that they were heavily into learning, education, etc and loved the field of psychology.   I mention it sort of like: 'as a product of my parents (description of their education and training in psych), I was exposed to the world of psychology at an early age....' ....But I suppose that could come off as bragging or attempting to "rely" on something that I really should not.

Anyway, my background is a bit different. Directly out of high school (9 years ago), I went to college and did very poorly. I wasn't ready. Several years later, I was refocused and much more mature. I returned to school and have maintained a GPA over 3.5 ever since. However, I have since married and had two children (while still working on my undergrad)...and while being a mother has been the greatest gift in the world, it has put a damper on my ability to spend a lot of time beyond coursework and the kids (and a part time job). Thus, my resume is not SUPER in terms of experience, research, volenteer work, etc....so maybe my lack of confidence comes from the thinking that I need all the help I can get....

So... you never said specifically that you're taking it out. 

Off topic maybe: but why do you want to go into the field you're in?

So... you never said specifically that you're taking it out. 

Off topic maybe: but why do you want to go into the field you're in?

Great question. She should be able to explain why and show her passion through that description.

I am going to take it out. I was just trying to explain a little further- maybe clear up the misconception that it had no relation to my reasons for pursuing psychology.

I want to go into the field because I have an incredible passion for children, education and psychology. Educational psychology and working to help children succeed academically, emotionally, behaviorally, socially and cognitively is something I feel called to do. With diversity in schools increasing, mental health problems becoming more obvious at earlier ages, I feel children are in need of MORE in the way of mental health services in schools. I love the study of the human experience in general but more specifically,  I love the potential this sort of work has on the future generations, society etc. I love the notion of being a part of education reform through bringing in a broader spectrum of psychological services in educational settings...on and on.... :)

Edited by SchoolPsychGirl

I am going to take it out. I was just trying to explain a little further- maybe clear up the misconception that it had no relation to my reasons for pursuing psychology.

I want to go into the field because I have an incredible passion for children, education and psychology. Educational psychology and working to help children succeed academically, emotionally, behaviorally, socially and cognitively is something I feel called to do. With diversity in schools increasing, mental health problems becoming more obvious at earlier ages, I feel children are in need of MORE in the way of mental health services in schools. I love the study of the human experience in general but more specifically,  I love the potential this sort of work has on the future generations, society etc. I love the notion of being a part of education reform through bringing in a broader spectrum of psychological services in educational settings...on and on.... :)

Very nice, and you notice how your parents are completely irrelevant to this? 

If you can show your passion and potential through a well composed SOP you'll do just fine.

It sounds like your story of navigating undergrad as a non-trad is a better and more authentic story. However, some apps have spaces where they ask you if youre a legacy, you can fill that info out there. But I really think it makes more of a difference in undergrad or if your parents are prominent alumni. Ivies graduate thousands of people a year and I imagine a good deal of them go on to have children. I can't see how that would make you a stonger candidate.