Reason to worry?

I'm sure all your materials are received if you confirmed your LOR were done with professors. It takes them forever to update status pages or confirm any requirements. I'd maybe consider double checking the address of your transcript, but I'd say you're good.

Bump. Seeing a bunch of rejections from Emory today, I got one too. Looking at past years' results if you don't get a rejection today that could be a good sign  :D

Edited by Shostakovich

just got waitlisted from Uwash

sisyphus, did you receive an email about being on the wait list? Thanks!

I never got any notification from UW (and I checked the spam folder too), nothing on the app website... and I guess UW is done with their wave of acceptance.. :|

Edited by roguexgirl

Bump. Seeing a bunch of rejections from Emory today, I got one too. Looking at past years' results if you don't get a rejection today that could be a good sign  :D

Maybe it was unrealistic expectations/misunderstanding on my part about Emory's strength of program, but I'm a bit surprised at some of the rejections! 

There is reason to worry. Last year someone was accepted to Emory with 161Q and 3.68GPA. So far this year there are 4 rejections posted with better stats. One of them with 800Q and 4.0GPA?

There is reason to worry. Last year someone was accepted to Emory with 161Q and 3.68GPA. So far this year there are 4 rejections posted with better stats. One of them with 800Q and 4.0GPA?

I notice there to be a lot more interest/discussion/results posting about Biostat programs this year than last. I know UW got over 250+ apps this year and with Emory's results, I definitely agree that this year is highly competitive! 

I have 3 rejections and 1 paid visit/interview so far, and 7 left to hear back from. I'm certainly hoping to hear good things from Mich, UNC, Brown, Yale, Pitt, Boston, and Vanderbilt!

This year definitely seems to have more applicants, and an even higher percentage of highly qualified applicants. I'm shocked that someone who got into UWashington would get rejected from Emory.

Has anyone heard from Cal Berkeley? I noticed there were 2 masters and 1 PhD acceptance posted on the results page. And I'm on pins and needles waiting to hear back from them.

Wow.  Are these applicants domestic or international?  Or has there just been some kind of explosion this year in applicants?   I can't believe someone with a 4.0 and perfect Q score got rejected!

I saw his/her profile (the person that got in with 161Q and 3.68) on Math GRE Forums and while the numerical data portion of the app wasn't top tier, he/she had some great softs.

Also on the Emory app they seemed to care at least a bit more about research interests/fit than other programs from what I remember...

The optional video supplemental may have been important as well, since I skipped it :)

Edited by Shostakovich

I don't think having a 4.0 GPA and top GRE score is necessarily a guarantee of a good profile.

Firstly, that's the old system 800, which is only 94th percentile. A great score, but a lot of people get that sort of score. Even a 170q isn't standout necessarily.

Secondly, 4.0 means very little without knowing what subjects were taken, and where (which school). If you avoid all the hard classes, the department you're applying to will notice.

I don't think having a 4.0 GPA and top GRE score is necessarily a guarantee of a good profile.

Firstly, that's the old system 800, which is only 94th percentile. A great score, but a lot of people get that sort of score. Even a 170q isn't standout necessarily.

Secondly, 4.0 means very little without knowing what subjects were taken, and where (which school). If you avoid all the hard classes, the department you're applying to will notice.

Very true, also who knows that their undergrad major was and how intensive. Now if they had a 4.0 from Harvard in Math, then that would be extremely shocking. But the old GRE scoring system was very gentle to grading, and an 800 isn't anything immaculate (although, still something to be proud of). 

I emailed UNC today to ask about my status, and got a reply back saying I had been rejected. I think it's officially time to give up for any option besides Pittsburgh I'm guessing. The last 3 I'm waiting to hear back from are Pitt, Berkeley, and Harvard. I never received an invite to interview at Harvard, and I'm guessing the rejections from UW, Hopkins, and UNC eliminate Harvard as well.

Berkeley I am really really hoping for, but doubtful. My advantage their is that I will already have a masters, and the applicant pool will thus be smaller to compete with than the other schools. But my rejections from the other schools really make me doubt my chances.

For Pitt, I'm already enrolled here, and if I don't get in with a LOR from the chair of the dept and a chair on the admission committee, then I'll probably just lose my mind.

Any thoughts from anyone as to how accurate my projections are?

I'm curious as to why they haven't sent out email's regarding admission decisions if they have already been made? The impatient side of me is inclined to email UNC about my status as well, but given that I wont be making a definitive decision until March, I'll probably wait it out for a formal notification. It's irrational, but up until I read that e-mail, hope is still alive!

Edited by Noco7

Yeah, I don't understand why they don't update status on an individual basis as they make them. Rather than make people wait it out long after the decision has been made. They got back to me within about an hour after I emailed them. I'm somewhat regretting emailing them, I should've just let nature take its course. Oh well. Good luck to you!

3.36 undergrad GPA, but all of the core math classes I performed very well in. Top 100 National University. GRE scores 770 Quantitative, 550 Verbal, 4.0 writing. Current grad student in Biostatistics with 3.8 GPA.

It seems like the same people are getting asked to go to the same interview sessions (Biostats: Harvard - Emory - Hopkins - Seattle). So for all of you holding on to hope for waitlist spots, my thoughts are that as long as you guys were not outright rejected, there is always a chance.