Acceptance Freakout Thread

Yay davidm! Congrats!

DontHate raises a really interesting question: how DO everyone's parents feel about them applying to English MA/PhD programs? Supportive? Bewildered?

I have a really difficult relationship with both parents. I don't ask them for any support, and they don't give me any. I haven't told them that I'm applying to programs, but I'll probably tell them if I enroll somewhere. Anyway, my sister is getting a PhD in HDFS at a pretty damn good program, and my brother's career plans have stalled / he's been living with our parents since he graduated college five years ago (nothing wrong with that, but it's not what he wanted, and our hometown is a soul-crushing place)... I am the youngest, and I have no idea what they expect of me.  :rolleyes:

My parents are on board with my plans. My dad had a hard time understanding exactly what it was I wated to do, but he's come around this year. I don't know what changed exactly, I just had to keep explaining that I wanted to be a professor and finally something clicked in his head. My mom has always been my biggest fan.

I think it's important to find emotional support outside your family, though, because a field as esoteric as this one offers weird emotional blows constantly. Having supportive professors mentoring me has made a huge difference for my emotional well-being.

My parents are on board with my plans. My dad had a hard time understanding exactly what it was I wated to do, but he's come around this year. I don't know what changed exactly, I just had to keep explaining that I wanted to be a professor and finally something clicked in his head. My mom has always been my biggest fan.

I think it's important to find emotional support outside your family, though, because a field as esoteric as this one offers weird emotional blows constantly. Having supportive professors mentoring me has made a huge difference for my emotional well-being.

I actually have a very similar experience - my dad's taken a little while to fully support what I want to do, but my mom has been extremely supportive the whole time.  And I agree; the professional/mentoring support I've gotten from professors at my Master's institution (to say nothing of the collaborative support of my cohort mates) did worlds for me getting the confidence to make the leap and apply for Ph.D. programs, as well as keeping me sane along the way.

I got in to pilot training in the navy, but decided once I'd finished the initial officer training that I would rather be back with my books. My father wasn't overly happy about this, because my grandfather had been in the navy, and he was very proud and stuff. My mother was happy, because she hates the military and didn't like the idea of me being blown up. When I told them what I was changing my plans to... well, my father was content that I was doing something worthwhile (although still would have been happier with me as a naval officer), and my mother was extremely happy...

... and they have both been supportive and patient. It's actually a pretty boring story. No gut-wrenching shame, or telling me that I am wasting my time. ;P My fiancee, on the other hand... most of her family think that she believes she is better than them because she's getting fancy pieces of paper, or that she's going above her station. That is a more appropriately Dickensian tale full of trials and tribulations... but to bring that one back down to levels of ennui, her parents (at least) are very proud (even if they don't always understand why she does what she does, and why she didn't just get a real job). It's just other members of the family who rage, rage, rage!

My dad had a hard time understanding exactly what it was I wated to do, but he's come around this year. I don't know what changed exactly, I just had to keep explaining that I wanted to be a professor and finally something clicked in his head. 

Ha! This made me snort because my dad also does not understand my career path at all. He never graduated from high school or went to college, so academia is truly a mystery to him. Still, he's incredibly supportive because he trusts my decision-making-- haven't let him down yet!

As I said in another forum, my mom's having a hard time with all of this. She's currently single, and I am her only child (my brother and I have different mothers). She's trying to be supportive, but the idea that I might be moving clear across the country clearly hurts her deep in the gut. She was terrifically supportive this morning when I told her about UMass Amherst, but I could tell she was already imagining what it will be like for me to be so far away. 

And as I have said before, my partner is super supportive. Our dog doesn't care either way, as long as he gets treats. 

Ha! This made me snort because my dad also does not understand my career path at all. He never graduated from high school or went to college, so academia is truly a mystery to him. Still, he's incredibly supportive because he trusts my decision-making-- haven't let him down yet!

This is so interesting: my dad was a chemstry professor and it is from him that I think I derived my respect for academia. Having lost him last April--a man I regarded with the kind of reverence most people reserve for their deity--I vacilatted a bit about grad school, but ultimately decided it was my best means of honoring my dad.

Sorry to go off topic--it just struck a chord.

Congrats, Proflorax. I'm so happy for you!

^ my dog is totally anti-intellectual and it's becoming a real

problem.

Luckily, my dog is too stupid to be anti-intellectual. She just stares at things with a sort of mellow stupidity that I envy... and huskies were meant to be smart and noble. :P

I'm so stinking thankful for my parents. They have been amazing through this whole process. Neither of them pursued degrees past the Bachelor's level, but they are absolutely on board with my plans. They were awesome through my move from TX to NY for my MA, and I know will be happy with wherever I choose to go for the PhD. It is a serious blessing to have them be so excited for me and my academic pursuits.

This is so interesting: my dad was a chemstry professor and it is from him that I think I derived my respect for academia. Having lost him last April--a man I regarded with the kind of reverence most people reserve for their deity--I vacilatted a bit about grad school, but ultimately decided it was my best means of honoring my dad.

I'm so sorry for your loss, dear.  That must have made this process extra, extra, extra emotional.  Good on you for surviving and, I betcha, thriving.   

Edited by jmcgee

Congrats, Proflorax. I'm so happy for you!

Affirming your post: I lost a parent  two weeks before my first semester of grad school. It fueled my ability to produce, but it clouded my brain severely--perhaps to this day. Having a supportive partner is definitely great, and so is trying to build a life outside of the academy.

Edited by StephanieDelacour

Yay davidm! Congrats!

DontHate raises a really interesting question: how DO everyone's parents feel about them applying to English MA/PhD programs? Supportive? Bewildered?

I have a really difficult relationship with both parents. I don't ask them for any support, and they don't give me any. I haven't told them that I'm applying to programs, but I'll probably tell them if I enroll somewhere. Anyway, my sister is getting a PhD in HDFS at a pretty damn good program, and my brother's career plans have stalled / he's been living with our parents since he graduated college five years ago (nothing wrong with that, but it's not what he wanted, and our hometown is a soul-crushing place)... I am the youngest, and I have no idea what they expect of me.  :rolleyes:

My dad (an ex-vet raised in a third world country) is as supportive as I think he knows how to be.

My mother wants to be supportive, but she's a bit batty so I keep her at the far end of a long stick. My older sister will be 27 this year and finally decided to enroll in a community college. My younger brother is 21, lives with my sister and works at Burger King (he dropped out of college after a semester because he didn't have friends smh), so I think my parents are proud of my accomplishments, but they aren't so good at appropriately showing their support (if that makes any sense). 

Edited by Gwendolyn

I'm so sorry for your loss, dear.  That must have made this process extra, extra, extra emotional.  Good on you for surviving and, I betcha, thriving.   

Thank you for the condolences, though after the Vandy Bloodbath (of which I was a casualty) I don't know about "thriving." :)

Affirming your post: I lost a parent  two weeks before my first semester of grad school. It fueled my ability to produce, but it clouded my brain severely--perhaps to this day. Having a supportive partner is definitely great, and so is trying to build a life outside of the academy.

I hope your dedication elicits some good news this year!

So what is the deal with the two posted Irvine acceptances? Two seems like not very many. I am officially running out of options if these are real.

KeelyMK said hers was a call for a special fellowship nomination, so I'm guessing this second one is probably something similar. Well, hoping. Otherwise, I'm running out of options, too.

Minnesota has started notifying!!!

I had my phone on silence during class and missed the call, but I found an acceptance on my voicemail!  :)

Oh, that's great!

(WHERE IS MY PHONE?!?)

Also, did your website status roll over?

Edited by thebeatgoeson

Minnesota has started notifying!!!

I had my phone on silence during class and missed the call, but I found an acceptance on my voicemail!  :)

Congrats! It's almost 8pm here, I know it's unlikely that a. I'll get in to Minnesota and b. I would get the phone call tonight anyway, but I'm still shooting daggers at my phone as it sits in silence.

KeelyMK said hers was a call for a special fellowship nomination, so I'm guessing this second one is probably something similar. Well, hoping. Otherwise, I'm running out of options, too.

Not to trod on any hopes, but I do know my friend got an acceptance call today from Irvine.

He and I both got shut out last year, and now that he's in (which I am TOOOOOO excited about), I'm super worried that I'll get shut out again this year. Nerves overload.

Oh, that's great!

(WHERE IS MY PHONE?!?)

Also, did your website status roll over?

Congrats! It's almost 8pm here, I know it's unlikely that a. I'll get in to Minnesota and b. I would get the phone call tonight anyway, but I'm still shooting daggers at my phone as it sits in silence.

I just checked online and, no, the status hasn't changed yet. Best of luck to both of you!

Hi everyone! Just found this board when I was trying to look up school's response dates and now I feel your pain because I'm in a continual state of flipping out. ><

Congrats to everyone who's in! But do we think that's all she wrote for UMass acceptances? There are an awful lot of them posted already over the last couple of days...