2013 Acceptances/Rejections Thread

AaronM

Has anyone been formally rejected from Minnesota yet? I know many folks have reported acceptances - and congratulations to them! - but my on-line application status still says "awaiting program decision." If applicants have been rejected, then perhaps I'm on a wait-list; however, if no one has been rejected yet, then perhaps they have just yet to notify their rejections of their status. 

My application now says "Under final review." I'm not too optimistic with this one. Poor fit.

Oh jees, I just discovered this place. You are all total masochists. This is going to be the end of me but I've signed up to get involved.

Also waiting on NYU... probably with all of you and about 500 other people. Though, I only have a couple of applications overall so I really think they should accept me!

Seems that they usually start responding right around now?

One...two...three...four...five... and now six acceptances. Yep, I'm willing to bet the Cornell ship has sailed. Oh well, perfect fit with one faculty member, mediocre fit with everybody else. Still, four likely rejections in a row stings the pride a bit. Ecstatic about Minnesota, but it still would have been nice to know that somebody else wanted me.

Is anyone else still waiting to hear from UT? I am pretty sure that I can mark it as a rejection but there still hasnt been official word.

I'm waiting too.  I'm assuming it's a rejection.  Maybe I will email them next week so I don't have to hear another rejection this week.  Space out the disappointment!

I'm interested to come here so late in the game... it seems people on here know a lot about the whole process compared to me. I have no idea whatsoever of my chances, didn't read any advice for my applications... arg! ... Also, it seems that the way to go is to apply to 10 places and hope for the best (expensive!)... puts my two late-show deadline-day entries in perspective! Well, maybe I should start on next year's applications!

Anyway, could do with this whole situation resolving itself soon whatever the outcome! It's like having a massive, unresolved crush on someone you have to see every day and know you have absolutely no chance with.

Anyway, could do with this whole situation resolving itself soon whatever the outcome! It's like having a massive, unresolved crush on someone you have to see every day and know you have absolutely no chance with.

That's such a good analogy. I've spent so much time exploring and falling in love with schools that I have no chance in hell of getting into, haha. 

Yeah it is going to be a long two months.  The only schools I have heard any news from are Notre Dame and Baylor and they both have interviews.  While ND is my top choice and Baylor one of my top choices, just the fact that they might be my only hope right now makes those interview very very stressful.  It would be so nice if I had at least one acceptance so that I know if I totally bomb the interviews all hope is not lost.

I am kind of in the same boat.  Have only been rejected by 2 (top 3 programs), waitlisted by Indiana, but I haven't heard from the others, and the ones I have heard from have only tantalized me with interviews or the potential thereof.  I will be attending the ND interview, so I am sure I will see you there. I, too, am quite nervous considering I haven't received a decisive verdict yet. From what I understand ND has a very nice program.  However, I wonder how many who attend Visit Day get offers?  I am sure if I lurk long enough, I could find the answer... or go mad in the process.

According to their stats on the graduate school website, they average around 19 offers a year for the past 5 years.  Last year was their lowest with 17 offers of admissions.  Judging by the posts on this forum, they ask around 20-25 to go to the visit weekend every year.  I have no idea what could have caused them to cut particular candidates, like poor interviews or poor fit etc.????  But regardless, that is a pretty high number of offers in relation to how many people go to the event.  At the same time you also got to factor in those who didn't make it and got interviewed on the phone/skype.

http://graduateschool.nd.edu/departments-and-programs/ph-d-programs/sociology/admissions-history/

Edited by Angulimala

According to their stats on the graduate school website, they average around 19 offers a year for the past 5 years.  Last year was their lowest with 17 offers of admissions.  Judging by the posts on this forum, they ask around 20-25 to go to the visit weekend every year.  I have no idea what could have caused them to cut particular candidates, like poor interviews or poor fit etc.????  But regardless, that is a pretty high number of offers in relation to how many people go to the event.  At the same time you also got to factor in those who didn't make it and got interviewed on the phone/skype.

http://graduateschool.nd.edu/departments-and-programs/ph-d-programs/sociology/admissions-history/

Thanks for the link.  The number of offers is a little higher than I originally imagined!  In one of the emails we got from Becky, I noticed there were 18 email addresses cc'd.  I assume (since it was an email related to info about our itinerary) that there will be 18 individuals at the visit, barring any last minute complications (not a threat, nor a desire).  I know someone on this blog has already indicated that they will not be attending.  Even if five or six couldn't make the commitment and have to do the whole Skype thing, those are still pretty decent odds.  At minimum, our chances are better than when we first applied hah.

I keep telling myself that today was a slow day because of Valentine's day. Not that everyone was celebrating it but just to be nice maybe they didn't want to ruin anyone's celebrations. Like who wants to send out a bunch of rejections on a day when so many people may already be feeling lonely, rejected or whatever? Just my theory and it makes me feel better thinking that way lol

That's such a good analogy. I've spent so much time exploring and falling in love with schools that I have no chance in hell of getting into, haha. 

Have to agree with darthvegan, probably one of the best analogies I've heard concerning this whole thing >.>

Thanks for the link.  The number of offers is a little higher than I originally imagined!  In one of the emails we got from Becky, I noticed there were 18 email addresses cc'd.  I assume (since it was an email related to info about our itinerary) that there will be 18 individuals at the visit, barring any last minute complications (not a threat, nor a desire).  I know someone on this blog has already indicated that they will not be attending.  Even if five or six couldn't make the commitment and have to do the whole Skype thing, those are still pretty decent odds.  At minimum, our chances are better than when we first applied hah.

That's how I am trying to look at it.  Still wish I had at least one acceptance prior to the interview, to make me feel a little more at ease. 

One...two...three...four...five... and now six acceptances. Yep, I'm willing to bet the Cornell ship has sailed. Oh well, perfect fit with one faculty member, mediocre fit with everybody else. Still, four likely rejections in a row stings the pride a bit. Ecstatic about Minnesota, but it still would have been nice to know that somebody else wanted me.

I am in exactly the same situation with respect to Minnesota and the other schools I applied to!

Have to agree with darthvegan, probably one of the best analogies I've heard concerning this whole thing >.>

Well I'm glad that I've contributed in some way or another to this process.

N.B. According to previous results on here, it seems that NYU accepts people, or puts them on the wait list, directly by calling them or emailing right around now (15-20th Feb) and then sends around a mass rejection email around 10-15th March.

Which makes me wonder why they can't reject more people sooner since they can hardly be paranoid that the 10-20 acceptances and who knows how many wait listers (5+?) are all going to drop like flies, can they?!

Even if a load did, would they really be left with less than 10 candidates? I doubt...

So the extra fortnight of misery for all those who expect they didn't make the cut but haven't been told seems highly unnecessary... still, guess I know what to expect now!

Edited by frasier

I agree that some schools wait too long to notify students about admission decisions. It's a complicated process, though. Students with an array of interests (or methods, POIs, etc.) end up in the first round of admits. If all the gender people decide to accept and none of the political sociology people do, political sociology people will likely be pulled up from the wait list (or, at schools without an official wait list, an unofficial limbo list). But, we need to keep the gender people in that auxiliary pool too in case the reverse happens.

For what it's worth, some students wait too long to notify schools that they're definitely not planning to attend and exacerbate this problem. Once you've considered your options, choose one. If you're still waiting to hear from your dream school, you can make the one other school wait until April 15th. You don't need to make them all wait. You could also call (not now, but after you've visited others and you're trying to make a final decision) the one or two you haven't heard from but would love to attend. Let them know that you're hoping to make a decision and would like to know the status of the application and if other acceptances are likely to be sent out and when. As earlier posts in the forum suggest, sometimes schools will tell you to hold out until mid-April, but other times they'll tell you that further acceptances probably aren't forthcoming.

Edited by faculty

Thanks for the info, it's interesting and slightly reassuring to understand better.

However, since I have only applied to two schools for PhD, I'm not going to make anyone wait. If someone phoned me today with an offer that is what I want (one has a variety of funding and I'd need to know what I'm getting) then I'd probably be happy to just tell them that I accept there and then!

At most, I'd make them/me wait the weekend until making it final.

I had done such a good job of forgetting about all this until the middle of this week!

Edited by frasier