2013 Acceptances/Rejections Thread

AaronM

Also, for those of you waiting on NYU... I got into NYU last year.  They took 8 people but invited a bunch of their waitlist to the admit event.  I only knew because my offer letter said I was one of 8 admitted, but I met people at other admit events who said they were on the waitlist and going to be there, too.  Not sure what NYU is doing this year, but I found out through a phone call last time around.  

In the end, I decided to hold off on going to grad school altogether to travel, so I'm putting myself through all this anxiety 2 years in a row.  Good luck to everyone!

According to the results page. BU doesn't send official rejections until March <_<   So even if these 4 waitlists are all we'll hear about BU's admissions, people still won't be officially rejected until next month. But I'm still holding on to the possibility of acceptances coming to the board :D .

Heads up to those of you that applied to University of Pittsburgh. I called the department today and they said that decisions will be sent via postal mail in two weeks.

I actually know someone in that program and she seems to like it, though I don't know her well and haven't discussed it in detail with her.  But I will say this, if you can go to a funded MA program, I think it can great learning opportunity and a great way to bulk up your CV and focus your research agenda.  However, just know that this means you'll likely have to take all of the core classes twice, since your PhD institution will likely want you to take those courses in their program, and it will generally take you a year or 2 longer to eventually get your PhD because of this.  Additionally, you have to go through this terrible process of applying to schools twice.

I am finishing up my MA at a ranked (not very highly) PhD granting university that separates the 2 degrees, and I just got offered a fellowship at a top-20 university with a great fit.  That would have never happened 2 years ago because I just wasn't a very strong applicant.

I second your thoughts on the problems involved with applying to a Ph.D. program after an M.A. program. Some programs state on their website that they consider transfer credit for prior graduate study in sociology. Univ. of Pittsburgh, for example. states it will consider up to 18 credits (or 24 if they respect your thesis); although, I know some programs absolutely refuse to consider transfer credit. I believe Univ. of Connecticut considers transfer credit, but I dropped it off my list because I couldn't meet its Dec. 1st application deadline. Investigating whether doctoral programs consider transfer credit should be a decent component of an M.A. student's program search, I think, although this would probably always be trumped by then importance of applying to institutions strong in a student's specialty of choice, faculty a student wishes to work with, etc. 

I second your thoughts on the problems involved with applying to a Ph.D. program after an M.A. program. Some programs state on their website that they consider transfer credit for prior graduate study in sociology. Univ. of Pittsburgh, for example. states it will consider up to 18 credits (or 24 if they respect your thesis); although, I know some programs absolutely refuse to consider transfer credit. I believe Univ. of Connecticut considers transfer credit, but I dropped it off my list because I couldn't meet its Dec. 1st application deadline. Investigating whether doctoral programs consider transfer credit should be a decent component of an M.A. student's program search, I think, although this would probably always be trumped by then importance of applying to institutions strong in a student's specialty of choice, faculty a student wishes to work with, etc. 

Honestly, I didn't even look into it.  My reasoning is that my selection of schools was already pretty narrow, and if getting a degree from a top 20 school versus a school in the ~70 range meant an extra year or so, then so be it.  Plus, how much could it hurt to have more methods, stats, and theory courses?

Also, for those of you waiting on NYU... I got into NYU last year.  They took 8 people but invited a bunch of their waitlist to the admit event.  I only knew because my offer letter said I was one of 8 admitted, but I met people at other admit events who said they were on the waitlist and going to be there, too.  Not sure what NYU is doing this year, but I found out through a phone call last time around.  

In the end, I decided to hold off on going to grad school altogether to travel, so I'm putting myself through all this anxiety 2 years in a row.  Good luck to everyone!

That's interesting but I'm wondering do they have preference for waitlisted people who go to the intro event? If I get waitlisted I don't know that I can afford to speculatively fly to NYC just for an event when I'm not even accepted...

Would be really curious to know what you think about this...

Someone please tell me that Brown's offers for international students still haven't been sent.

If both Brown and Harvard rejected me I will have 7 rejections, 1 waitlist, 1 unfunded acceptance and only one school left (and it's NYU, so I really don't think the odds of getting in are that high at this point).

This whole thing sucks.

Re: Harvard - congrats to those who were accepted.  I applied for the JDP in Sociology/Social Policy and noticed nobody has posted about that yet --- anyone else apply for that particular program?

Can anyone report an official rejection or wait-list from Minnesota? Or do they have an unofficial wait-list they pull from and then officially reject everyone else at a much later date? 

I received an official notice of my rejection, but it was only after I emailed to inquire.

Re: Harvard - congrats to those who were accepted.  I applied for the JDP in Sociology/Social Policy and noticed nobody has posted about that yet --- anyone else apply for that particular program?

I applied for the JDP as well, and there are barely any results to look at on here from past years.  But, based on what there is, it seems they notify JDP a few days after regular Soc (which makes sense).  I am expecting it to be next week... but I have nothing but past results to base that on.

That's interesting but I'm wondering do they have preference for waitlisted people who go to the intro event? If I get waitlisted I don't know that I can afford to speculatively fly to NYC just for an event when I'm not even accepted...

Would be really curious to know what you think about this...

As far as I knew, they provided travel funds to all people invited to attend the event, regardless of status.  I never saw anyone being treated differently while I was there.  My best guess would be the people who received a place off the wait list depended on the research interests of the people who declined their offer, but that's just my own speculation.

to the two guys accepted at Pittsburgh, how did you manage to get acceptance with such low stats? I have similar scores, and searching for tips towards the next application cycle. Does the adcom pay no attention to the quantitative aspect of application files, or do you have enormously strong LoRs and SoPs? Congrats to both of you.

What were the stats for the two accepted at Pittsburgh? 

GPA: 2.75

147/143/2.50

GPA:2.75

153/136/3.00

I got 3 rejections up to now, probably aimed too high. Pittsburgh might be a more realistic target, I think...

Thanks for sharing. I eventually figured out how to navigate the results page. I've tried to avoid so I could keep my remaining shreds of sanity. It's impressive they were able to get accepted, although GREs and GPAs are not the only criteria used to determine applicants and different admissions committees rank them differently (as I'm sure you know). Hopefully this bodes well for our applications? (And I applied to Pittsburgh, so fingers crossed.......)