Good Sign, Omen or Hallucination - All Are Welcome!

Eager

U of I, Chicago "Decision" has changed from a big paragraph about awaiting furhter information to "Referred to college for review."  That probably means that they finally just sent my paperwork to the college, even though I submitted it in the end of December.  Jan 1st deadline.  It's not bad I suppose!

I recently went to a campus visit at my top choice. I had been corresponding with the POI for months and when we met in person, he said he felt like he already knew me. Various happenings: tons of positive feedback on my recent publication, being introduced to the faculty as a "distinguished visitor", POI saying he is "extremely optimistic about the future", faculty member on admissions committee telling me I'm a good fit for the direction they are expanding the department in, a lot of wine and dining paid for by the school, one of the grad students saying she hopes the department's penchant for alcohol doesn't drive away an "extremely smart" applicant like myself, and an actual hug goodbye from POI and POI's wife.

I felt the need to itemize the details. I feel guardedly optimistic but I have told several friends about my impending acceptance and now I feel like I may have jinxed it.. So stressful. Just tell me if I'm in or not! Honestly, it seems cruel&unusual to put me through a 14-hour campus visit like that and not let me in....

U of I, Chicago "Decision" has changed from a big paragraph about awaiting furhter information to "Referred to college for review."  That probably means that they finally just sent my paperwork to the college, even though I submitted it in the end of December.  Jan 1st deadline.  It's not bad I suppose!

Not bad at all.  Review is not a bad word...it means you are still in the running.  I haven't heard a peep since the initial email about the admiin committee reading my application.  Officially a good sign!

I recently went to a campus visit at my top choice. I had been corresponding with the POI for months and when we met in person, he said he felt like he already knew me. Various happenings: tons of positive feedback on my recent publication, being introduced to the faculty as a "distinguished visitor", POI saying he is "extremely optimistic about the future", faculty member on admissions committee telling me I'm a good fit for the direction they are expanding the department in, a lot of wine and dining paid for by the school, one of the grad students saying she hopes the department's penchant for alcohol doesn't drive away an "extremely smart" applicant like myself, and an actual hug goodbye from POI and POI's wife.

I felt the need to itemize the details. I feel guardedly optimistic but I have told several friends about my impending acceptance and now I feel like I may have jinxed it.. So stressful. Just tell me if I'm in or not! Honestly, it seems cruel&unusual to put me through a 14-hour campus visit like that and not let me in....

Wowzer! You had quite an experience.  May I add that many a hopeful on these forums would give their left pinky toe to have been wined and dined by their potential school.  I don't think they would go to that length if they were not drafting an acceptance letter as we speak.  I love the line about feeling "extremely optimistic about the future".  So very cool.  You are a shining beacon of hope to us all who are hanging by a very thin string.  Let us know as soon as you get that acceptance email/letter.  We want to celebrate with you!

Wowzer! You had quite an experience.  May I add that many a hopeful on these forums would give their left pinky toe to have been wined and dined by their potential school.  I don't think they would go to that length if they were not drafting an acceptance letter as we speak.  I love the line about feeling "extremely optimistic about the future".  So very cool.  You are a shining beacon of hope to us all who are hanging by a very thin string.  Let us know as soon as you get that acceptance email/letter.  We want to celebrate with you!

I'd give both of my pinky toes!

I'd give both of my pinky toes!

That is so funny!  What I wouldn't do for a good sign...it's been awhile!  I think I'm due.  I hope some more good news gets posted soon.  We need to keep the good vibes going people! :P

Get this people, I received a letter from the Admission Office of Pratt, inviting me to apply to their program.  I know I've been hoping for a letter.  But a letter for a school I know nothing about, for a program I know nothing about, for a degree I don't want, was just a bit much. Took the graduate wind out of me it did.  I want to think of something positive to say....Ummmmm...I got nothing.  Anyone?  We could use some good news right about now.  Actually, mediocore news would do  :rolleyes:

You are so supportive here :) can I join you, adding a little bit of my anxiety?

Yesterday I got an e-mail from the director of graduate studies of my dream program in reply to my letter where I sent some necessary docs to him. He wrote me a rather long nice letter, saying it was very good to hear from me again (we had a skype interview long before the admission process and he encouraged me to apply). So he sent me info on funding. Didn't offer it though, just told me where I can look for it (other departments, centers. etc). How do I interpret this? Is it a good sign or not-so-good?

Edited by Catherine_Kiev

You are so supportive here :) can I join you, adding a little bit of my anxiety?

Yesterday I got an e-mail from the director of graduate studies of my dream program in reply to my letter where I sent some necessary docs to him. He wrote me a rather long nice letter, saying it was very good hear from me again (we had a skype interview long before the admission process and he encouraged me to apply). So he sent me info on funding. Didn't offered it though, just told me where I can look for it (other departments, centers. etc). How do I interpret this? Is it a good sign or not-so-good?

First of all, Welcome!!!! Secondly, of course it's a good sign.  Dare I say great sign?  One thing I'm starting to realize is that faculty in grad programs are extremely busy!  If you received an interview and a nice "long" letter (MY GOD WHAT I WOULDN'T DO FOR A NICE LONG LETTER!!!) Sorry, focusing on you.  Then that means they are very interested in you and that is amazing news.  I'm so glad you shared it.  We need good vibes.  I'm happy for you.  This process is like the long line in the supermarket.  It is super frustrating and you just want it to be over.  But as long as the line is moving you know that eventually it's going to be your turn.  Thanks for reminding us that the line is indeed moving!

My theory is, when they talk about funding they must be interested. Why would you talk about funding to someone who was in the rejection pile? You wouldn't.

I very much hope so. I need their funding badly though (I'm an international student, so sorry for possible mistakes and misprints, especially now when I'm nervous)

First of all, Welcome!!!! Secondly, of course it's a good sign.  Dare I say great sign?  One thing I'm starting to realize is that faculty in grad programs are extremely busy!  If you received an interview and a nice "long" letter (MY GOD WHAT I WOULDN'T DO FOR A NICE LONG LETTER!!!) Sorry, focusing on you.  Then that means they are very interested in you and that is amazing news.  I'm so glad you shared it.  We need good vibes.  I'm happy for you.  This process is like the long line in the supermarket.  It is super frustrating and you just want it to be over.  But as long as the line is moving you know that eventually it's going to be your turn.  Thanks for reminding us that the line is indeed moving!

Aww, thanks so much! I hope you're gonna move in your line very soon! :)

I very much hope so. I need their funding badly though (I'm an international student, so sorry for possible mistakes and misprints, especially now when I'm nervous)

Aww, thanks so much! I hope you're gonna move in your line very soon! :)

Here is hoping.  No one from my program is reporting yet, so I will take that as a good sign.  It's all I have for the day!  :unsure:

Wow, this is great to read that others are getting some of the same types of emails that admins sent to me and someone (Catherine_Kiev!) is even getting nice long letters!

After Penn State, who even sent a lovely postcard AND sent an email to let me know a couple LoR were missing, I decided to obsessively check ALL of the applications and realized another one was missing LoR so I emailed their admin/dept and was told that if I got the letter in within a few days, that the app would be "complete and on time" for review. *phew* Got that resolved with minimal pain.

Indiana U sent a letter asking for the writing sample, which was received/confirmed in December, so I resubmitted it with a short note about its earlier timeliness. Their app due date was Jan 2, so I was freaked out, but it got resolved ok and the admin apologized for the mixup and thanked me for resending it. No idea if that means someone there is interested in me enough to desire to read my writing sample, but here's hoping!

I sure wish some of the grad students, professors, etc would start calling or emailing for interviews, visits, or such. Good news would be great right about now :P

Wow, this is great to read that others are getting some of the same types of emails that admins sent to me and someone (Catherine_Kiev!) is even getting nice long letters!

After Penn State, who even sent a lovely postcard AND sent an email to let me know a couple LoR were missing, I decided to obsessively check ALL of the applications and realized another one was missing LoR so I emailed their admin/dept and was told that if I got the letter in within a few days, that the app would be "complete and on time" for review. *phew* Got that resolved with minimal pain.

Indiana U sent a letter asking for the writing sample, which was received/confirmed in December, so I resubmitted it with a short note about its earlier timeliness. Their app due date was Jan 2, so I was freaked out, but it got resolved ok and the admin apologized for the mixup and thanked me for resending it. No idea if that means someone there is interested in me enough to desire to read my writing sample, but here's hoping!

I sure wish some of the grad students, professors, etc would start calling or emailing for interviews, visits, or such. Good news would be great right about now :P

First, Welcome!  Secondly, it sounds like you are on point as it concerns your materials!  That is so cool!  You are among similar minded folk, who have emailed more than once to make sure all of our stuff is in.  Yes, I agree, an email, invite for a visit, phone call would be so great right now.  The next one to get an acceptance on this forum is going to be sooooooo celebrated by us!  We are pulling for each other.  So keep us posted on all your good signs.  Our philosophy: Enough good signs will lead to acceptances..

Edited by Eager

Hello all!

I posted this on another thread not too long ago, but everyone here seems so nice I thought I'd share it with those who check in here just to get some more input. Here goes:

Toward the end of the business day today my application status changed from "Awaiting Program Decision" to "Final Review." The grad school notes on its website that this status means, "your program has made its admission decision and University officials are doing a very quick (usually within two business days) final review of your materials before sending out the decision notification."

I thought that departments notify applicants informally when their applications are accepted and passed on to the graduate school for final the review. Does anyone know of any cases where this is not the case? I'm hoping this is a good omen, but I'm getting the feeling that I'll only be hearing from the directly graduate school (and not the department) if it's a rejection...

Good luck everyone!

Hey I'm new to the forums!

I haven't heard a peep from any of the schools I applied to (8) except an email from UW-Madison about Financial Aid. I'm guessing it's something they send to all applicants. My first two apps were due December 1st (Madison and UC-Boulder) and nary a word! The fact that it's been -20F in MN for the past week hasn't helped my mood either.

Sent a thank you card out to POI at top choice after campus visit. His response: "Thank you for the lovely card!  That was very considerate of you!  We certainly enjoyed your visit also and hope that it results in even better things to come.  I'll keep you posted as the admissions process runs its course."

I kind of wish "hope" could have been "know" or "guarantee", but alas. I think it's a good sign.

Sent a thank you card out to POI at top choice after campus visit. His response: "Thank you for the lovely card!  That was very considerate of you!  We certainly enjoyed your visit also and hope that it results in even better things to come.  I'll keep you posted as the admissions process runs its course."   I kind of wish "hope" could have been "know" or "guarantee", but alas. I think it's a good sign.
Definite good sign!

Hello all!

I posted this on another thread not too long ago, but everyone here seems so nice I thought I'd share it with those who check in here just to get some more input. Here goes:

Toward the end of the business day today my application status changed from "Awaiting Program Decision" to "Final Review." The grad school notes on its website that this status means, "your program has made its admission decision and University officials are doing a very quick (usually within two business days) final review of your materials before sending out the decision notification."

I thought that departments notify applicants informally when their applications are accepted and passed on to the graduate school for final the review. Does anyone know of any cases where this is not the case? I'm hoping this is a good omen, but I'm getting the feeling that I'll only be hearing from the directly graduate school (and not the department) if it's a rejection...

Good luck everyone!

First, Welcome!!!  Yes, we are all about supporting each other through this arduous process!  Secondly, I am so glad that your program details so specifically the status of your application.  Mine only shows what's been submitted (and then suddenly a mysterious date of January 16th next to the For Office Use Only, nothing else.  I have no idea what that means).  You on the other hand are on your way.  I have to say that is sounds like more than a good sign.  That falls into the category of an OMEN, a good omen.  Perhaps you'll be the first on this particular thread to post that you have been accepted.  We are pulling for you!!!!  Let us know what happens.

Hey I'm new to the forums!

I haven't heard a peep from any of the schools I applied to (8) except an email from UW-Madison about Financial Aid. I'm guessing it's something they send to all applicants. My first two apps were due December 1st (Madison and UC-Boulder) and nary a word! The fact that it's been -20F in MN for the past week hasn't helped my mood either.

I'm curious about the information you received about financial aid.  What makes you think they send that to all applicants.  It would be cruel to send that to those that are going to be rejected.  Do you think you might be overlooking a good sign here? Hmmmmm?

Sent a thank you card out to POI at top choice after campus visit. His response: "Thank you for the lovely card!  That was very considerate of you!  We certainly enjoyed your visit also and hope that it results in even better things to come.  I'll keep you posted as the admissions process runs its course."

I kind of wish "hope" could have been "know" or "guarantee", but alas. I think it's a good sign.

Go radio! That is a great sign.  Sounds like someone is hinting at something to me!!!!

I'm curious about the information you received about financial aid.  What makes you think they send that to all applicants.  It would be cruel to send that to those that are going to be rejected.  Do you think you might be overlooking a good sign here? Hmmmmm?

Well, I indicated interested in financial aid on my application (duh). It was basically an instructional email on how to apply for financial aid through their website. It wasn't anything related to fellowships, research grants, etc. but I thought the same thing as you. Why send it to someone who is being rejected?

Eager, you're the best cheerleader ever. :) so glad you're here!

We are in this thing together!  I just have a good feeling about the results for the people on this forum.  Sometimes a group of special people come together to do something special....I think soon we'll be on the grad portion of the forum posting about the experiences we are having in our programs, papers we're publishing, conferences we're going to.  The best part about it is, we will leave this forum for those that will come behind us....they will write about their good signs until they become acceptances....and on and on.  It's a priviledge to be a part of this process, Truly!