Good Sign, Omen or Hallucination - All Are Welcome!

Eager

Eager, you are definitely the 'Dear Abby' of Gradcafe! Thanks for being so supportive :)

How sweet!!!!!!!!  When I say that you all are my gradcafe family, I mean it!  Family has to stick together.  Just think, years from now when we are all accomplished in our professions, earned many awards and accolades, we will think fondly back to our grad cafe family and wonder how we all are doing.  Even then, I will be sending good vibes to all of you. Woooooooo Hooooooooooo!

Hello there. Two days ago I had my first (and what I thought last) interview via Skype. It went okay, I guess. It is the only school on my list that I chose more because of the location. It is a great program and I would be lucky to be accepted but I also know that I am just not a perfect fit. The interview felt exactly that way: I think the faculty members who interviewed me really liked me, but I am just not a good fit. However, today I got an email by the Director for Graduate Studies asking for another Skype interview tomorrow. What does that mean? I was so happy yesterday thinking that at least all the applications stuff is done, and now it is going on and on and on... :wacko:
did you get accepted? How long did they take to let you know? I am also interested in schools in DE

Well everyone, good news!  I was finally approved to take a class in my program!  So excited.  The director actually looked at my educational background and recommended a course for me.  Which is of course the one I am going to take.  She told me that there is an envelope in the office with my name on it which contains my permission letter.  So I am going down today to pick it up...and my Ph.D journey begins.  Not exactly the way I though it would be, but I am so happy...I can reapply while I take classes.  i can also get to know people and get an advisor.  My mentor at the college where I teach told me that once they meet me, they will want me.  From her mouth to God's ear.  So excited!  I don't usually do this, but I'm going to give myself my official....Wooooo Hoooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

Well everyone, good news!  I was finally approved to take a class in my program!  So excited.  The director actually looked at my educational background and recommended a course for me.  Which is of course the one I am going to take.  She told me that there is an envelope in the office with my name on it which contains my permission letter.  So I am going down today to pick it up...and my Ph.D journey begins.  Not exactly the way I though it would be, but I am so happy...I can reapply while I take classes.  i can also get to know people and get an advisor.  My mentor at the college where I teach told me that once they meet me, they will want me.  From her mouth to God's ear.  So excited!  I don't usually do this, but I'm going to give myself my official....Wooooo Hoooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

congratulations!!!! You deserve it. You radiate such positivity.

congratulations!!!! You deserve it. You radiate such positivity.

Aw, thank you!  That is so sweet!  Being positive during this process is not always easy.  But we owe it to each other to be supportive...And can I just add in terms of good news that because I had to change my schedule at the college where I work in order to take a class in my program, I was offered a class that I have ALWAYS WANTED to teach at my job.  I couldn't believe it.  It is not easy to get those types of classes...and there it was, an email asking me if I wanted to teach it.  I wish I could have been a little more dignified, but I actually replied back with something along the lines of, "Dear God, yes!!!!!!".  It kind of makes you think that maybe, just maybe things work out exactly the way they are supposed to.  And maybe we should just trust the process... :D

Eager, you are totally awesome! Congratulations!!! And of course, a big WOOOOO HOOOOOOO for you, you so deserve it!

Aw, thank you!  That is so sweet!  Being positive during this process is not always easy.  But we owe it to each other to be supportive...And can I just add in terms of good news that because I had to change my schedule at the college where I work in order to take a class in my program, I was offered a class that I have ALWAYS WANTED to teach at my job.  I couldn't believe it.  It is not easy to get those types of classes...and there it was, an email asking me if I wanted to teach it.  I wish I could have been a little more dignified, but I actually replied back with something along the lines of, "Dear God, yes!!!!!!".  It kind of makes you think that maybe, just maybe things work out exactly the way they are supposed to.  And maybe we should just trust the process... :D

Eager, you are totally awesome! Congratulations!!! And of course, a big WOOOOO HOOOOOOO for you, you so deserve it!

Thank you so much!!!! I am excited! I probably shouldn't say it, but I think that this is one of the best, most supportive threads on this forum!  All of you are awesome!  

Eager, you give me hope! Thank you! I am STILL waiting from my choice school for a decision because my initial potential advisor fell through and the department tells me they are looking for an alternate. The pessimist in me wants to give up hope (it's JUNE!), but your positive attitude is inspiring me to take a different outlook and decide to believe that at least it's not an outright rejection (which they certainly could have done by now rather than trying to make something work). Good luck to you in your Ph.D. quest! Looks like things are going in the right direction for you. Maybe things do mysteriously work out the way they are supposed to and this is all part of the process? They certainly never (well, rarely) work out the way we expect.

Eager, you give me hope! Thank you! I am STILL waiting from my choice school for a decision because my initial potential advisor fell through and the department tells me they are looking for an alternate. The pessimist in me wants to give up hope (it's JUNE!), but your positive attitude is inspiring me to take a different outlook and decide to believe that at least it's not an outright rejection (which they certainly could have done by now rather than trying to make something work). Good luck to you in your Ph.D. quest! Looks like things are going in the right direction for you. Maybe things do mysteriously work out the way they are supposed to and this is all part of the process? They certainly never (well, rarely) work out the way we expect.

Hello! Welcome!!!!!  I am so excited for you.  The fact that they wanted to work something out means they see your potential.  That my friend is very cool.  I really do believe that things work out the way they are supposed to if we trust the process.  You want a program that is right for you in every way that is important. I am trusting for you that your feet will find the right path and that it will be an exciting journey.  Keep us posted, we are your grad family now!    :D

• 1 month later...

Hello! Welcome!!!!!  I am so excited for you.  The fact that they wanted to work something out means they see your potential.  That my friend is very cool.  I really do believe that things work out the way they are supposed to if we trust the process.  You want a program that is right for you in every way that is important. I am trusting for you that your feet will find the right path and that it will be an exciting journey.  Keep us posted, we are your grad family now!    :D

Thank you for such kindness and warm welcome!! No fall 2013 PhD for me (the rejection arrived a few weeks ago), but there may be a fall 2014 attempt in the future  :rolleyes: It is important that we don't give up working for what we want. It might just pay off! Wishing you all the very best with your course this fall and your application!!

Hmmm... Well I have two that I think are good signs, but don't wanna overthink it yet!

1) During my visit to campus towards the beginning of the process, I was told to apply for the PhD program instead of the Master's.  It was mentioned that I would be almost guaranteed admission to the Master's but it isn't funded so go futher.

2) Shortly after submitting everything, I emailed my program contact who said that its still with the committee, but they are already impressed.

I don't know if I am wrong but these both seem like good signs!  It's just that anxious waiting it out til you hear the response.  I definitely feel like a little kid waiting for christmas to come as I check the mailbox each day.  Hopefully I am accepted into the program; with all the research I have done on it, the program sounds like an excellent fit and I would love to be a part of it.

• 2 weeks later...

I am so late to the game, but I came down here just to see if you were able to take the class!   YAY Eager!!!!!!!   I have application anxiety because I never win.  My friends and family tell me the same thing -- if there is an interview they will want you/take you.

Hooray for getting your foot in the door!!!!

Goobs

• 2 weeks later...

I am so late to the game, but I came down here just to see if you were able to take the class!   YAY Eager!!!!!!!   I have application anxiety because I never win.  My friends and family tell me the same thing -- if there is an interview they will want you/take you.

Hooray for getting your foot in the door!!!!

Goobs

Hello my friend!  So good to hear from you.  Thanks so much for the kind words.  Yes, I am excited, foot in the door.  We will see what happens.  I am completely trusting the process at this point.  I will keep you all updated.  I know good things will continue to happen for all of us.  Summer is here, so this thread has died down, but September is a comin' and there will be people taking their second and third shots, newbies, wet behind the ears, with hope in their eyes and we will remain a strong grad family, seeing each other through.  I'm headed to vacation, so this is my official 'I'm out' until September.  Have a great summer my people.  The madness will begin again, soon enough!

Hmmm... Well I have two that I think are good signs, but don't wanna overthink it yet!

1) During my visit to campus towards the beginning of the process, I was told to apply for the PhD program instead of the Master's.  It was mentioned that I would be almost guaranteed admission to the Master's but it isn't funded so go futher.

2) Shortly after submitting everything, I emailed my program contact who said that its still with the committee, but they are already impressed.

I don't know if I am wrong but these both seem like good signs!  It's just that anxious waiting it out til you hear the response.  I definitely feel like a little kid waiting for christmas to come as I check the mailbox each day.  Hopefully I am accepted into the program; with all the research I have done on it, the program sounds like an excellent fit and I would love to be a part of it.

But before I go on Vacation, let me just say, YES! YES! YES!  Those are awesome signs.  Many people are happy to get a good full on hallucination at at time like this (I know I was).  However, you have solid, positive feedback!  Excellent!  Keep us posted on the details!!!!!  :)

• 1 month later...

Well, I'm back!!!!!!!!!!! My class is totally overwhelming and the material way over my head - in other words, I'm having a great time!!!!!!  I have my school ID and taking a class I really like!  The only problem is, I'm a non-matrich, kind of the step-child.  But, I will take my blessings as they come. I'm going to apply again, however, I need to take my time.  I need to find an advisor, let people get to know me and so on.  It's a four credit course, so not bad.  Hopefully, I will take another four credit course after this one.  The plan is to earn credits while I am making connections and then BAM!  I'll hit them with a great application.  That's the plan anyway.  It's a little ways off, so for now, I've decided to enjoy myself.  How is everyone doing?  Any good hallucinations lately? :P