Good Sign, Omen or Hallucination - All Are Welcome!

Eager

What it sounds like to me is that they are just trying to figure out who on the waitlist is still actually 'waiting'.  Many people accept offers elsewhere and I'm guessing that this person just wants to know who is really still in the running should someone else decline.  Also, I would interpret the comment about having a 'great cohort joining the school' to mean that they have a really good group and should you be admitted off the waitlist, you would too be considered that....

I hope things work out well for you!

I mentioned this on the waitlist thread, but the DGS at my top choice, where I am waitlisted, sent me an email yesterday where he again went over the admissions process (they only admit a few people at a time, when someone declines, they take a person from the waitlist.) He then said it would be helpful to know of my continuing interest and if I had accepted anywhere. Then he told me they were anticipating a great cohort joining the school in the fall. I don't know what this email means, which is driving me crazy! I don't know if everyone on the waitlist. I don't know if it means they have had a few people decline their offers. And I really don't know what the last part about a great cohort means . All I know is that I have not been rejected yet. 

What it sounds like to me is that they are just trying to figure out who on the waitlist is still actually 'waiting'.  Many people accept offers elsewhere and I'm guessing that this person just wants to know who is really still in the running should someone else decline.  Also, I would interpret the comment about having a 'great cohort joining the school' to mean that they have a really good group and should you be admitted off the waitlist, you would too be considered that....

I hope things work out well for you!

I figured that was what the email was, but a part of me hoped that it meant something more.

I totally understand.  You could also look at it to mean that if they weren't interested in accepting you at all, you never would have received that email.

I wish you the best of luck!

I figured that was what the email was, but a part of me hoped that it meant something more.

I haven't had a good sign, omen, or hallucination in a long time. 

alternatively, the lack of omens or good signs could mean you've been having a lot of hallucinations lately, haha! sure you're not dreaming? :-P

alternatively, the lack of omens or good signs could mean you've been having a lot of hallucinations lately, haha! sure you're not dreaming? :-P

Oh I was I was!

OK guys, tomorrow is the start of a new week!  I'm feeling positive after a sunny, and dare I say - warm - weekend!  And I'm hopeful that many of us will receive good news in the next couple of days.  Let's do this thing!

You guys ready for a new week of hallucinations?!?! Woooo hooo! My fave choice is on spring break this week, so I've decided to give myself a week off from angsting. I figure there will no be no way they will send out the decisions during their spring break. Need to do research work this week anyway! Ugh.

Ok, just had to share this "omen" of sorts...got accepted to HGSE!! ( that's not the omen). They issue you a Harvard ID number....it is all "sets" numbers that have direct meaning for me! I already have it memorized! :)
Apparently I used up my quota of upvotes, but congrats!

Ok, just had to share this "omen" of sorts...got accepted to HGSE!! ( that's not the omen). They issue you a Harvard ID number....it is all "sets" numbers that have direct meaning for me! I already have it memorized! :)

Wow, what a dream come true! Congrats!

Despite my lack of hope, I was accepted to Syracuse with a TA fellowship this morning!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe this is a good omen for the 2 applications I'm still waiting to hear from!!!!  Good news comes in threes right???

Lol

AWESOME!!!

Roughly a month ago I finally added me number to the Do Not Call registry after getting a call from a weird area code and having my heart skip a beat thinking it was a POI with an acceptance notification (it was not).  Today I got another such call, but I can't make a formal complaint because its been less than 31 days since I registered and because it was a non-profit (rather than telemarketer).  Nor can I tell them to stop calling because its automated.  

I feel like this is an omen that the torture will never stop.  Particularly since I apparently applied to the last school to notify (anyone, accept or reject) in my discipline... 

This is wonderful.  My heart is smiling and I am doing the happy dance!  You have brought such great vibes to this forum.  You deserve it and I hope you are taking the time to celebrate...I mean really celebrate!  Wooooo Hooooooo! So cool. :P

Despite my lack of hope, I was accepted to Syracuse with a TA fellowship this morning!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe this is a good omen for the 2 applications I'm still waiting to hear from!!!!  Good news comes in threes right???

Lol

Now, I'm not one to tell you I told you so....who am I kidding?  I told you so!!!!! Did I not say that good things were on the way for you!  And with a TA fellowship? Excuse me.  I'm doing a happy dance for you, but only on one foot because you've been so gloomy!  :lol:  I'm going to start a new thread for those who have to start all over next year - I'm so glad you won't have to join us.  Send us some good vibes though!  A TA fellowship.  Look at you!  Wooooo Hooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had a dream last night that I was accepted to the school notifying today... hoping it is a sign!

Oh, I hope it is an Omen!  This has been some journey hasn't it?  I really think it's your turn for something good.  No, scratch that.  It's your turn for something awesome.  Please keep us posted! Excited for you.....

I would not be too sure that it is a good sign. I received an email the day after I submitted an application from a secretary in the department asking for an additional transcript. It was way too soon after submitting it, so I assume no one remotely important had even seen the app yet. Sounds like standard operating procedure to me. My email seemed like they were just being courteous, and it was very similar to yours. But I like to think positive, as I am currently still waiting to hear back on mine. Good luck!

Yes, I found out that it is SOP (standard operating procedure).  But there is nothing wrong with thinking positively.  Keep us posted every step of the way.  We are your grad family now.  Welcome!!!!  Here is the quote of the day.  It's really my life motto now:

“Those who bring sunshine to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves.”

as3.gif James Matthew Barrie

This might not be the best place for this, but I guess i'm going to share it anyway...

I had a horribly awkward conversation with the department head of a program i've already been admitted to. I have other funded offers, so the result of this conversation really was important to my decision making process. The offer was pretty good, but not as good as what the other school has offered. I'm applying to masters, so I didn't expect either to be fully funded necessarily. Anyway...I said something along the lines of "thats good" to his offer, and his response was "Is it?" What was I even supposed to say to that? I mean yeah, I hoped for more, but money is money and i'm appreciative.

I had no idea what to say to that. He also asked what other schools I was admitted too, so that was uncomfortable as well. THEN he went on to tell me about the visiting day and ask if that would work for me and I made the mistake of saying "thats great because i'll be in the area anyway." I DIDN’T say it was for the other school's visit, but he got all weird so it sounded like he guessed or suspected. To top it all off, he finished by asking if the other offer was from another in-state school which is the BEST in the country. I didnt even apply because there seemed to be no way I was getting in. Apparently HE THOUGHT I WOULD.

I'm having such a hard time making a decision. I hope this conversation wasn't a bad omen. I'm surprisingly downcast for someone who was just offered money. I have no idea which program to pick and i'm worried its kind of a bad sign.

It's sooo good to hear from you.  I am with you.  You know as odd as it may sound, many times in the wake of great success we feel confused and overwhelmed.  It is normal.  It is not a bad sign.  You have multiple offers and funded offers.  That is amazing.  I believe that your head and heart my have a bit of a rumble.  Sometimes they want very different things.  Some say go with head, some say with heart.  I differ.  I believe that the head and the heart can actually coexist and speak from a place of wisdom(head) and experience(heart) to help you make this choice.  This is an awesome time for you.  You are going to choose a path.  It will be the right one, and a new part of your life will begin.  No words I can express here can tell you how happy, hopeful, excited and joyous I am for you.  The clouds will pass and the sun will feel so good on your face.  Here's to the next part of your life.  No happy dance for you...just a round of applause!  Much love.  :)