Good Sign, Omen or Hallucination - All Are Welcome!

Eager

Well, I heard from one of the programs I applied to. (not the one I interviewed at) And it was a rejection.... kinda sad

They asked if I wanted to be considered for their Masters program without fellowship aid. I'm not really sure what to say to that.

I know you are upset that it was a rejection, but considered for their Master's program is an awesome offer...is it not?  You could work on getting grants and then have an in to the Ph.D track, no?  Maybe it's me but this sounds good!  Are you interested????

The User ID thing turned out to be a good omen! Just got my acceptance today via postal mail. First choice school, I'm absolutely THRILLED.

Oh this is wonderful.  So, so happy for you!  I hope you are celebrating and enjoying your moment.  I can't hold it in any longer....Woooooooooo Hooooooo!  Good vibes are flowing like never before people! So very coooooool!  :P

Just an update I spoke with my department and everything is correct now and my official acceptance is in the mail :). They still want me to decide by march 22nd I guess because they are offering me a scholarship. Hopefully this week is good news for everyone here too! I know how stressful the wait is!

First of all, Welcome!  I'm so happy for you.  It must be amazing to have an acceptance in the mail!  And what a birthday present!  I wish you could hear me sing, because I can really wail.  But I'll just have to settle for this:  Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Your Grad family is so prooooooouuuudddddd,  Happy Birthday Toooooo Youuuuuu!  Congrats, congrats!  Did I not tell you people that good vibes were going to overflow? Woooooo Hoooooo!  :D

I don't know how to feel. A bunch of musicologists got rejections from Case yesterday. I didn't receive a rejection, but I also haven't heard...anything. I would ask if admits have gone out or if I'm on some sort of invisible waiting list, but the department website emphasizes the "we will contact you" attitude towards admissions. Still...maybe a good sign? Or, at the very least, an omen?

First of all Welcome! Secondly, I think you are our first musicologist...Excuse me!  Now, not hearing anything is not officially a good sign....we're honest on this forum, but not brutally so, so feel safe.  However, it is not a bad sign.  There is still hope....and can I tell you from someone who has been rejected, hope is a beautiful and precious thing.  Hold on to it and keep us posted.  :)

I know you are upset that it was a rejection, but considered for their Master's program is an awesome offer...is it not?  You could work on getting grants and then have an in to the Ph.D track, no?  Maybe it's me but this sounds good!  Are you interested????

It would be without fellowship, so I would have to pay. It could turn into a good thing depending on how things work out but most people would tell me if that's the only offer reapply next year..

Depending on if I can get a commitment from a faculty member it could be very different. 

Edited by Reatha

Okay Grad fam, it has been a long time since I actually had a good sign and I need your feedback.  As you know, rejected by dream program but in May I can enroll for the Fall 2013 Semester, take classes for free as a non-matric student, as I work on my 2nd go round.  I was told I had to wait until May to get permission from the department :unsure: .  That bummed me out because who knew if I would get permission in May? So I knew I shouldn't, but I emailed a certain person in the department saying that I just wanted to introduce myself and asked if they needed my CV or any other material.  This is what I got back:

Dear *Eager,

I do not need your CV or any other material. When you contact me in May I will send you instructions on taking a class as a non-matriculated student...if you want to be more competitive when you apply for our Ph.D. Program in the future, I would recommend that you be in touch, after May 15, with Professor XXXX, Chair of our Admissions Committee, for feedback on your application. Please do not contact her until after May 15. Her email is XXXXXXXX. 

I think this is a great sign.  This sounds like she is going to give me permission!  Also, what an opportunity, to speak to the chair of the admin committee to get feedback!!!! I was so scared that she was going to tell me to refrain from emailing her until May - this is so much more than I expected.  What do you all think?

*Not my real name but everyone here insists on anonymity.  :)

It would be without fellowship, so I would have to pay. It could turn into a good thing depending on how things work out but most people would tell me if that's the only offer reapply next year..

Depending on if I can get a commitment from a faculty member it could be very different. 

Ohhhhhhh!  I see.  Well, it's an option.  Keep us posted.

I think that's a good sign! Maybe a bit terse, but I'm sure they have a lot going on.

Oh my goodness! It is so funny that you say terse.  There was a terser part of the email that I omitted because I was a l little embarrassed by it. I should have known I couldn't get anything past you.  This is the part that I omitted:

Dear Eager,

I do not need your CV or any other material. When you contact me in May I will send you instructions on taking a class as a non-matriculated student. As for the rest of your email, if you want to be more competitive when you apply for our Ph.D. Program in the future, I would recommend that you be in touch, after May 15, with Professor XXXXX, Chair of our Admissions Committee, for feedback on your application. Please do not contact her until after May 15. Her email is XXXXXXX.

The underlined, highlighted part is what I omitted originally.  So yes, terse.  But I'll take a terse response that give me some much needed information, over a sweet response that says absolutely nothing any day!   :)

Oh my goodness! It is so funny that you say terse.  There was a terser part of the email that I omitted because I was a l little embarrassed by it. I should have known I couldn't get anything past you.  This is the part that I omitted:

Dear Eager,

I do not need your CV or any other material. When you contact me in May I will send you instructions on taking a class as a non-matriculated student. As for the rest of your email, if you want to be more competitive when you apply for our Ph.D. Program in the future, I would recommend that you be in touch, after May 15, with Professor XXXXX, Chair of our Admissions Committee, for feedback on your application. Please do not contact her until after May 15. Her email is XXXXXXX.

The underlined, highlighted part is what I omitted originally.  So yes, terse.  But I'll take a terse response that give me some much needed information, over a sweet response that says absolutely nothing any day!   :)

Hey take it. I heard something on the radio that made me feel a lot better about receiving my second rejection. Tesla, the man who invented the electrical system the US uses, dug ditches for a while to make ends meet. If he struggled and made something out of this life then so can I. 

I'm trying to stay positive about the one school I've interviewed with, since I felt I had a really positive interview, but I just haven't heard anything. Not knowing definetly can drive you crazy.

Hey take it. I heard something on the radio that made me feel a lot better about receiving my second rejection. Tesla, the man who invented the electrical system the US uses, dug ditches for a while to make ends meet. If he struggled and made something out of this life then so can I. 

I'm trying to stay positive about the one school I've interviewed with, since I felt I had a really positive interview, but I just haven't heard anything. Not knowing definetly can drive you crazy.

You should read this: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla

That's cool. The broadcast I was listening to said he pitched a new idea to JP Morgan once. 

It was a wireless system of communication where you could talk on the phone, share music and messages instantly. 

100 years later.... sounds a little familiar. 

Louis CK is one of the most successful comedians today. Standup tours sell out immediately, has an immensely respected TV show Louie, and has pioneered his own media distribution/ticketing system to cut out the greedy middleman.

Louis CK's career also was shit for most of his life, but he took the hard times to learn lessons about how to succeed in the future.

Hey my second choice responded :)  I was so shocked!  No interview or nuffin'.  Just a local state school.   It's a good sign woot!  MA in Counseling Psychology -- they have a behavioral track I was impressed with.   I'm feeling so much less stress right now.

I just had a terrible thought. It's not really an omen, sign, or hallucination... more like stress-induced, sleep-deprived rogue cognition...

So I was accepted at one school (call it University A), and I was waitlisted at my top choice (call it University Z). What if one of the people who was accepted to University Z's program (my waitlist school) was waitlisted at university A (my accepted school), and they would give up their spot at University Z if only someone refused University A (i.e., me), taking them off the waitlist?  :huh: The schools are in the same geographic region, and the idea that other students would have applied to both programs is actually pretty reasonable.

If you didn't quite follow that, it's the idea that I could be holding up my own acceptance!

I really don't think I should think about these things after 2 a.m... 

Edit: I thought I should add that now I'm laughing at myself for even coming up with this.

Edited by RubyBright

I just had a terrible thought. It's not really an omen, sign, or hallucination... more like stress-induced, sleep-deprived rogue cognition...

So I was accepted at one school (call it University A), and I was waitlisted at my top choice (call it University Z). What if one of the people who was accepted to University Z's program (my waitlist school) was waitlisted at university A (my accepted school), and they would give up their spot at University Z if only someone refused University A (i.e., me), taking them off the waitlist?  :huh: The schools are in the same geographic region, and the idea that other students would have applied to both programs is actually pretty reasonable.

If you didn't quite follow that, it's the idea that I could be holding up my own acceptance!

I really don't think I should think about these things after 2 a.m... 

Edit: I thought I should add that now I'm laughing at myself for even coming up with this.

It could happen. Its just unlikely. 

A professor I had an interview with sent me an invitation to connect on LinkedIn. She sent it to my school email (that I have used to communicate with her) not the email that I have my profile linked to. Is it just a mass email do you think? What does this mean?! Haha, I've only heard back from one school (it was a rejection) so I really want this to be a Good Sign!

A professor I had an interview with sent me an invitation to connect on LinkedIn. She sent it to my school email (that I have used to communicate with her) not the email that I have my profile linked to. Is it just a mass email do you think? What does this mean?! Haha, I've only heard back from one school (it was a rejection) so I really want this to be a Good Sign!

I think it's a good sign.  I would connect with her.  Connections are so important when it comes to this process.  I don't see how it can hurt.  I say go for it!  :)

Hey my second choice responded :)  I was so shocked!  No interview or nuffin'.  Just a local state school.   It's a good sign woot!  MA in Counseling Psychology -- they have a behavioral track I was impressed with.   I'm feeling so much less stress right now.

Does response mean acceptance?  You also said you thought it was a good sign.  I'm unclear.  I mean I don't just do happy dances all willy Nilly.  Were you accepted? Waitlisted? Asked out for brunch? Specificity if you please! :blink: