Good Sign, Omen or Hallucination - All Are Welcome!

Eager

So after my interview I sent out thank you letters to all the professors I had met and talked to, and I got a couple of very cordial responses (i.e. "nice to meet you" "impressed by you") so I'm taking it as a good sign. The thing is, the same thing happened to me last year and I ended up getting waitlisted and stuck there and not getting in. So I'm cycling between optimistic and as a good omen, and being stressed out of my mind and thinking history might repeat itself. So... losing my mind to the waiting basically.

Please forgive my bad forum manners if anyone has already addressed this, but this thread is 21 pages long :)

I checked my application status online today for my top choice school. The application status itself is still pending, but today I noticed the field for "User ID" which has thus far been blank says "Not yet established; in process"

I have NO IDEA what the User ID is. A quick google search suggests that it may be my official email/computer account info which is assigned when someone is admitted or employed by the university. I can't think of why they would process a user ID, or anything else for that matter, for someone they are planning to reject.

I don't want to jump the gun, though, or get my hopes up. This school's entire web system is a hot mess. They have multiple versions of the "check your application status" page, and I tried to log into another one of them a few nights ago because I was going batnuts insane and wanted to see if it would have any news. My login info that works with the one site doesn't work with the other, and I clicked on the "lost password" link to see if it would let me set up an account. So now I'm wondering, is the User ID just login info for one of their various other internet black holes...

Please forgive my bad forum manners if anyone has already addressed this, but this thread is 21 pages long :)

I checked my application status online today for my top choice school. The application status itself is still pending, but today I noticed the field for "User ID" which has thus far been blank says "Not yet established; in process"

I have NO IDEA what the User ID is. A quick google search suggests that it may be my official email/computer account info which is assigned when someone is admitted or employed by the university. I can't think of why they would process a user ID, or anything else for that matter, for someone they are planning to reject.

I don't want to jump the gun, though, or get my hopes up. This school's entire web system is a hot mess. They have multiple versions of the "check your application status" page, and I tried to log into another one of them a few nights ago because I was going batnuts insane and wanted to see if it would have any news. My login info that works with the one site doesn't work with the other, and I clicked on the "lost password" link to see if it would let me set up an account. So now I'm wondering, is the User ID just login info for one of their various other internet black holes...

It's hard to say as it's specific to the program you're applying to. I have IDs for 2 schools that I have not been accepted to yet, they just use it to keep track of me in their system. Other schools only assign an ID on acceptance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was rejected from a program today. I was expecting it, but it hurt a bit. However, within 15 minutes of that email, I received another from the DGS at my current program letting me know I was nominated for a very decent fellowship. I had, apparently, been getting hints that this would happen but have been completely oblivious to them (one of my professors asking me a few weeks ago if I had heard from him, the department secretary jokingly saying that they would bribe me to stay with a lot of money.) Apparently I'm bad at this whole good sign thing.

Sorry to say that I was given a user ID for all of my schools upon application, just like I was when I applied for undergrad. But you can feel smug when you get it, because you know that you get to keep it if you're admitted.  ;)

Sorry to say that I was given a user ID for all of my schools upon application, just like I was when I applied for undergrad. But you can feel smug when you get it, because you know that you get to keep it if you're admitted.  ;)

This is different from the one they gave me when I applied, though. It's a new thing that just appeared today. Aaaah I need to stop overthinking things.

Just stopping by to give everyone here virtual cookies. If I could, they would be real. As it is, this way you get exactly the flavor of your choice.  :D

It's good to hear from you.  I was beginning to think you had forgotten about us.  My cookies were oatmeal raisin!  :P

So after my interview (I made it categorical that funding was going to play a big role in my decision on which school to go to) with one of the school's I've applied to, the coordinator sends me an email asking if I could send her my updated CV or if she could use the one I submitted for application, so she could send it to some organisations for funding or intern opportunities.

What do you think??? :unsure:

First, welcome, welcome!!!!  I think that is amazingly awesome!  The coordinator looking for funding opportunities for you? Yes, this is a great sign.  So happy for you.  Keep us posted on every little detail!  :D

You were right :D Thank you so much for the good vibes!

I told you!  Awesome!  So, so, so happy for you.  Woo Hoooo!  The good news is pouring in now people!!!

So I just checked the status page, and the admission decision changed from pending to admitted! I haven't gotten an email or letter yet, but I have been admitted! I guess the program coordinator really was giving me a hint yesterday!  :D

I am doing a happy dance for you!!!!!! You deserve it.  I am more than happy for you, I am joyous!  Enjoy your moment.......Wooo Hoooo! Good vibes all over the place!

So after my interview I sent out thank you letters to all the professors I had met and talked to, and I got a couple of very cordial responses (i.e. "nice to meet you" "impressed by you") so I'm taking it as a good sign. The thing is, the same thing happened to me last year and I ended up getting waitlisted and stuck there and not getting in. So I'm cycling between optimistic and as a good omen, and being stressed out of my mind and thinking history might repeat itself. So... losing my mind to the waiting basically.

Okay, losing your mind is not an option!  Getting into this program does not define you!  You are a whole, intelligent, accomplished person whether you get in or not.  Remember that!  And what happened last year does not in anyway determine what will happen this year.  It is a good sign.  We're here for you.  Keep us posted! 

Congrats lionhunter!

This is awesome lionhunter!  You deserve every moment of success you are experiencing.  Thank you for sharing this with us  Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :D  :P  :lol:

Edited by Eager

It's hard to say as it's specific to the program you're applying to. I have IDs for 2 schools that I have not been accepted to yet, they just use it to keep track of me in their system. Other schools only assign an ID on acceptance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was rejected from a program today. I was expecting it, but it hurt a bit. However, within 15 minutes of that email, I received another from the DGS at my current program letting me know I was nominated for a very decent fellowship. I had, apparently, been getting hints that this would happen but have been completely oblivious to them (one of my professors asking me a few weeks ago if I had heard from him, the department secretary jokingly saying that they would bribe me to stay with a lot of money.) Apparently I'm bad at this whole good sign thing.

You know that I share your pain.  It does hurt and can I say, it hurts more than a little.  But I am so glad that you received good news - 15 minutes after? Wowzer!  Happy dance anyone?  Happy for you. So happy.... :P

It's good to hear from you.  I was beginning to think you had forgotten about us.  My cookies were oatmeal raisin!  :P

Nope, just spending much less time on the forums, since my current academic life is demanding my attention. I'm glad you picked such a good flavor of cookies.  :)

going just a little bit coconuts waiting for an answer.  I know I won't hear anything for at least another two weeks.  But going coconuts nonetheless.   Here shortly I'll be so busy with my thesis I won't have time to go through the boards incessantly looking for an answer I know won't be there.

COCONUTS!  No omens or signs.  Other than in a Nostradamus-like moment I felt the need to "predict" I'd get accepted.   Did I mention I'm going coconuts?  I really should be doing dishes or laundry or homework.  Anything but on this board posting about how I'm hating waiting.  However, I decided that I'd post real quick, get it out of my system, and then go do some homework.  Gonna save dishes and stuff until after the kiddo comes home so I don't sit at the computer all night.

coooooooCOnut.

You know that I share your pain.  It does hurt and can I say, it hurts more than a little.  But I am so glad that you received good news - 15 minutes after? Wowzer!  Happy dance anyone?  Happy for you. So happy.... :P

Thanks! The fellowship is enough to make me consider staying so my partner is really hoping I get it.

Moral of the story: Signs are real! Don't over look them!

I had a nightmare last night about a world invasion by robots. Everyone I knew was turning into robots. They'd visit us at night pretending to be normal, and we'd have to kill them by stabbing them to death because otherwise they'd leave and come back with more robots and raid our house, and turn us into robots. If we left the lights off, they would think we're not home. But my genius mom managed to leave every single light in the house on. As we were rushing to turn the lights off, there was a knock on the door, and we opened the door to two robots who proceeded to killing everyone in the house. I escaped and went to the gun store to get a shotgun, and suddenly knew that I had to drive to this location where the central computer was, and blow it up with benzene. As I was driving, my best friend called me, but I didn't pick up, because I thought he was probably a robot by now. My boss at work was telling me how powerful the explosion would be. But I was captured, witnessed two other people being tortured to death, and that's when I woke up. . . there were more details, but they're all starting to blur in my memory. I laid there with this feeling that a robot was laying next to me with my back turned, staring at me with beady eyes, and ready to slit my throat. man...

Edited by child of 2

I keep getting mixed messages from this program and I don't know what to think!!!

I interviewed with them on Feb. 8th and I think it went really well. One of the graduate students even said that they put a good word in with the admissions committee when asked the general question "did anyone stick out to you?"

I took that as a really positive sign, but its been a little while and other people (from earlier interview weeks) are getting their acceptance notices. When I sent them my thank you notes, I had one respond with "Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you with your decision process." Which I took as a really positive sign. 

However, the other ones where things like "Best of luck to you" and "I wish you all the best". Which I took as a not so good sign. 

The waiting is just really killing me. I loved this program when I visited and really want to go there. I'm about to over analyze myself out of my own mind.