Good Sign, Omen or Hallucination - All Are Welcome!

Eager

I found out my status today everyone - I was rejected.  Oh well.  I guess I will hold down the fort as you all go on ahead.  I will be here to cheer on the next wave of hopefuls.  I know that  this Valentine's Day will bring good news for some of you.  I can't wait to hear it!  Woo Hoo!!!!!!!

Eager. Since you are a believer of signs an omens, I wonder if you believe that everything happens for a reason. Although you were rejected from this particular institution, perhaps it was for a reason you cannot yet see. I wish you all the luck and happiness I can.

Thank you all for your sympathy.  To be totally transparent, I am lost academically, but I am found spiritually, which means I will be fine.  I have no idea what is next for me in terms of my grad hopes, but that is okay.  Something else lies ahead...I will find it.  Now my job is to root you all on to success and see you all safely to the "other side" - your programs!  So, let's hope that good news starts rolling in for you all.  :)

Thank you all for your sympathy.  To be totally transparent, I am lost academically, but I am found spiritually, which means I will be fine.  I have no idea what is next for me in terms of my grad hopes, but that is okay.  Something else lies ahead...I will find it.  Now my job is to root you all on to success and see you all safely to the "other side" - your programs!  So, let's hope that good news starts rolling in for you all.  :)

That's very big of you! I'm glad that you're staying encouraged and even more than that, you're being a shoulder for others. I haven't heard a yay or nay from any school I applied to as yet, so I'm remaining optimistic for now. Thanks again.

I understand. I lost someone in my extended family today. Really puts things in perspective. :(

Sorry to hear about your loss. Be encouraged and take the time you need.

That's very big of you! I'm glad that you're staying encouraged and even more than that, you're being a shoulder for others. I haven't heard a yay or nay from any school I applied to as yet, so I'm remaining optimistic for now. Thanks again.

Yes!  You must stay optimistic.  Until you find out it's a no, believe it will be a yes!  I am looking forward to good news for you.  I checked the results page and while there was some disappointment, there is also great news for people and amazing doors being opened.  I have a feeling that you are getting ready to walk through one of those amazing doors.  Let us know when it happens!!!!!!

Edited by Eager

Yes!  You must stay optimistic.  Until you find out it's a no, believe it will be a yes!  I am looking forward to good news for you.  I checked the results page and while there was some disappointment, there is also great news for people and amazing doors being opened.  I have a feeling that you are getting ready to walk through one of those amazing doors.  Let us know when it happens!!!!!!

Awww :( I'm sorry it didn't work out for you, Eager. I think your plan is good. Take some classes, make some contacts and things will be ok. If that's truly where you want to be, it will work out eventually.

You're an incredible person with so much grace and humility. Most people would have stopped going on gradcafe all together. I know there's the saying that nice guys finish last, but I definitely think it's false. I think karma is definitely going to play a role in your life. You're going to get something that's even better and life will be good. Still rooting for you :)

Upon telling one of my recommenders my not-so-stellar results so far, he said "don't take it too seriously. you should have some good news from the remaining schools". Does he know something I don't?  :blink:

Awww :( I'm sorry it didn't work out for you, Eager. I think your plan is good. Take some classes, make some contacts and things will be ok. If that's truly where you want to be, it will work out eventually.

You're an incredible person with so much grace and humility. Most people would have stopped going on gradcafe all together. I know there's the saying that nice guys finish last, but I definitely think it's false. I think karma is definitely going to play a role in your life. You're going to get something that's even better and life will be good. Still rooting for you :)

I am reading this at the end of the night.  Tears are streaming down my face.  Thank you for your kindness.  It was needed and it is much appreciated.

I did not expect a rejection on Valentine's day.  I read the letter in the office with my co-workers and I cried, but I didn't let them see me.  People don't like it when I'm not cheerful.  It makes them uncomfortable.  So I hid my tears and smiled.  I wrote my recommenders a letter apologizing for letting them down, but thanking them for their incredible generosity and friendship.  My husband said today, "In truth, it is their loss, not yours."  My mentor wrote me back (she wrote a recommendation) and said, "They don't know what they are missing."  People around me seem to believe in me.  It soothes the hurt.  I thought my path was clear, and now it is blurred.  I just received an email from my mentor asking me what I am going to do now.  I told her honestly that I have no idea.  I don't....  

Having said all of that, while I wait and pray for direction, it is such a blessing to continue this journey with all of you.  I am so looking forward to all of you getting good news.  Like I said before, I want to see you all safely to the "other side".  Soon you all will be posting in the other forums talking about your programs.  I'll stay here and keep the candle burning in the window for the other hopefuls that will arrive. :D 

Let's hope for some good news for someone here tomorrow.  Be sure to post it as soon as you hear.  I could use some good news!   :)

Upon telling one of my recommenders my not-so-stellar results so far, he said "don't take it too seriously. you should have some good news from the remaining schools". Does he know something I don't?  :blink:

Welcome!  Sometimes the people around us see things in us that we don't see.  Sounds like he believes in you, which is a very good thing.  Ahhhhh...what a ring that has to it, "remaining schools".  Do you know what that means?  You still have the possibility of getting an acceptance any day now.  That my friend, is very cool.  I'm thinking incredibly good thoughts for you...kind of excited for you really.  Keep us posted!

This was probably my favorite thread on gradcafe, thanks to you, Eager. I loved your optimism, something all of us needed very much right now. I was soo hoping you would get in. I'm sorry for you. I feel so low right now, as if I was the one rejected. But this isn't the end of the road, Eager. I'm pretty sure there's something much much much better waiting for you. You just have to believe.  

This was probably my favorite thread on gradcafe, thanks to you, Eager. I loved your optimism, something all of us needed very much right now. I was soo hoping you would get in. I'm sorry for you. I feel so low right now, as if I was the one rejected. But this isn't the end of the road, Eager. I'm pretty sure there's something much much much better waiting for you. You just have to believe.  

Wow lionhunter, thanks!  I so appreciate your words.  I almost didn't want to tell everyone I had been rejected - I didn't want to bring people down. But I know it is not the end of the road....Here is my journal entry as I end the day:

As I step over the jagged shards of my shattered dreams, tears staining my face, I look up and see a light twinkling in the distance. The road in front of me is dark, with pitfalls and rocks that could trip me and cause me to fall.  But there is still that light...so distant, but there.  I am afraid, but I trudge ahead, knowing that if I just have the courage to keep moving, I will reach it...so beautiful is that light.  And as I move forward, the darkness shrinks away, as though it is afraid of me.  I smile at the thought of that and pick up the pace toward that light that is ahead.

Edited by Eager

Eager, I know I don't know you, but I think I can say many people here absolutely love you. You've been a source of great solace and comfort for a lot of people on this board. I'm so sorry it didn't pan out for you. I wish you so much success, so much happiness, so much peace. Your enthusiasm has been infectious, your positivity like a fire. God bless you, keep you, and all of that.

Edited by Seatbelt Blue

I have to second everything that has been said before Eager. You have been a source of inspiration, encouragement and light to us all. To think - in years to come, when we cast our minds back to this process and this forum - you will probably still remembered by many of us because of the way you have conducted yourself and comforted others. Thank you for giving us smiles, even through your own tears. I am assured that whatever path you are been taken to, is far greater than the one you are imagining for yourself. Keep being you and keep being eager - you are a blessing to others even through your anonymity.

Sending love from London!

Eager, I know I don't know you, but I think I can say many people here absolutely love you. You've been a source of great solace and comfort for a lot of people on this board. I'm so sorry it didn't pan out for you. I wish you so much success, so much happiness, so much peace. Your enthusiasm has been infectious, your positivity like a fire. God bless you, keep you, and all of that.

Thank you so much for your kind words.  My son got through surgery today and is doing well.  It put things in perspective.  Of course I had hoped for different results, but I'll be fine.  I absolutely receive your wishes of success, happiness and peace, and I wish them right back at you.  Please know that whatever I have given to my grad family, I've gotten back so much more!  

I have to second everything that has been said before Eager. You have been a source of inspiration, encouragement and light to us all. To think - in years to come, when we cast our minds back to this process and this forum - you will probably still remembered by many of us because of the way you have conducted yourself and comforted others. Thank you for giving us smiles, even through your own tears. I am assured that whatever path you are been taken to, is far greater than the one you are imagining for yourself. Keep being you and keep being eager - you are a blessing to others even through your anonymity.

Sending love from London!

I have such fond memories of London.  I went there when I was seventeen and it changed my life.  And, so has this experience.  I have to be honest, I had a feeling my goose was cooked when one of my co-workers, upon hearing how much I wanted to be accepted to my program, looked at me and said, "Sometimes what we think is best for us, God doesn't think is best for us."  She had never said anything like that to me before.  Someone on this forum also mentioned that I would find the right program for me, even if it wasn't the one I imagined.  So, it seems like I am in for an adventure.  I have no idea where I am going, how I'm going to get there, or what's going to happen along the way.  And I have a feeling that sometimes, that's exactly the way God likes it.  I love you all, I really do!

Aww Eager -- I'm so sorry!  Your journal entry was so poignant.  

I have a friend who got into the same program I'm applying to (many, many years ago).  She was turned down the first time around, and then accepted the second year she applied. Her words to me over and over -- if you get turned down, don't get discouraged.

I've seen and heard many stories where people had a very successful 2nd round of applications.   Or, I've even run into people who were grateful they were turned down, because something happened shortly after that changed their lives.   I'm glad you are formulating a plan :)  I'm not trying to be super existential and say that "everything happens for a reason" because I don't believe every thing does (crap happens, it rains on the just and the unjust) but that I believe you can be just as happy (or perhaps more) on an alternate path.  It is something that I think we all need to remember as we angst while waiting for answers.  Heck Eager -- go write a book about the insanity of applying to grad school and the pressure we put ourselves under.  I know that's cliche from the non-english major who hates writing, but I think you know what I mean.  

If it helps you feel any better, I finally stopped freaking out about waiting for an answer because I came up with a plan similar to your own.  I'll just return to work with my newly earned bachelors and re-apply if I don't get in.   And I probably won't hear from schools until April, so yeah.  I had to do something to save my sanity.  :)

I'm glad I was able to lift some spirits.  The interwebz can be so nasty and competitive sometimes.  I'm not even as brave as most of you, I just applied to a local state university.  There was only one university in the entire state that offers a MSW though, and I'm a little nervous about putting all my eggs into one basket. 

Much love, the goober.

Aww Eager -- I'm so sorry!  Your journal entry was so poignant.  

I have a friend who got into the same program I'm applying to (many, many years ago).  She was turned down the first time around, and then accepted the second year she applied. Her words to me over and over -- if you get turned down, don't get discouraged.

I've seen and heard many stories where people had a very successful 2nd round of applications.   Or, I've even run into people who were grateful they were turned down, because something happened shortly after that changed their lives.   I'm glad you are formulating a plan :)  I'm not trying to be super existential and say that "everything happens for a reason" because I don't believe every thing does (crap happens, it rains on the just and the unjust) but that I believe you can be just as happy (or perhaps more) on an alternate path.  It is something that I think we all need to remember as we angst while waiting for answers.  Heck Eager -- go write a book about the insanity of applying to grad school and the pressure we put ourselves under.  I know that's cliche from the non-english major who hates writing, but I think you know what I mean.  

If it helps you feel any better, I finally stopped freaking out about waiting for an answer because I came up with a plan similar to your own.  I'll just return to work with my newly earned bachelors and re-apply if I don't get in.   And I probably won't hear from schools until April, so yeah.  I had to do something to save my sanity.   :)

I'm glad I was able to lift some spirits.  The interwebz can be so nasty and competitive sometimes.  I'm not even as brave as most of you, I just applied to a local state university.  There was only one university in the entire state that offers a MSW though, and I'm a little nervous about putting all my eggs into one basket. 

Much love, the goober.

I do know what you mean.  I've actually published two books and I am almost finished with a third - procrastinating on it really. :P  I don't think I will write a book about this experience though.  I'll just have the benefit of having such wonderful people in my life.  Applying again?  It is definitely possible.  I'm kind of waiting on a sign right now.  It's good to have good people to wait with though! :rolleyes:

sorry it didn't work out Eager, good luck with your future endeavours. As an act of charity, I'll buy your book, if that makes you feel better.

An act of charity? How....sweet.  Just your kind thoughts are more than enough. :)

Lol...I'd buy your book because i'm sure its fabulous. I'll feel very lucky that you were WILLING to sell it to me. :P

In all seriousness, this website has been absurdly helpful and comforting. There are definitely times when I want to smack everyone who cant decided between Fully Funded Ivy League #1 or Fully Funded Ivy League #2, but 90 percent of the time it answers my questions or lessens my anxiety. Applying to graduate school can be an isolating process because not many people do it, and many people can't understand it. So many people see it as "unnecessary" and therefore not something to stress over. OR, alternatively, they see us as so smart and capable that there shouldn’t be anything to worry about. The reality is clearly so different.

Even my sister, who went through this whole process last year, seems to have already forgotten how crazy it makes you. It made HER crazy too, but when its not happening to you its way too easy to say someone is "overreacting". Everyone here gets it, because its happening to them.

On a lighter note, to ease the pain of my assumed rejection, I got good news! The director of a program I was accepted to called to say they are trying to figure out some funding for me and will pay for a visit. I’m applying to masters programs, and my understanding is that funding is never assumed and is fairly rare. Unexpected money, YAY!

Eager!!! If there were more people like you in this world, it would definitely be a much better place!!

Good luck and thank you for your good thoughts!!!

You are too kind!  Actually, as I have had occasion to reread many of the posts on this thread, I realize that many kind, generous, thoughtful, helpful, inspirational and funny people have written things that have brought much gladness to my heart.  If there were more people like most on this thread in the world, then truly it would be a better place!