Good Sign, Omen or Hallucination - All Are Welcome!

Eager

So I go to teach my class tonight and stopped in the lab prep room for materials. Among other things, I needed triple beam balances. Right in front of me were some double beams I never saw before: Harvard Trip Balance. I'm thinking its a sign.

No idea what a Harvard Trip Balance is....I mean no clue.  But having said that, if you think it's a good sign, then we are with you!  Keep us posted!

I am searching for a picture in Google to replace my current facebook cover using "hope" as my search term. Scrolling down I find a picture saying "Michigan News" when I have an interview in a few hours with a POI from UMich. Good sign, omen or hallucination?

Oooooh, sounds like an Omen to me.  Interview in a few hours.  Woah!  That is cool  We are sending such good vibes your way.  Be sure to tell us how the interview goes and we want details!  :D

Hey guys! I'm a newbie on here, however, losing my mind in February...to say the least. Reading some of these forums has made me feel less crazy and alone. Who knew! 

I have double-triple checked everything. Last week the director of one of the programs emailed me to "notify" me they would start reviewing applications soon. Good sign? SOP? Sigh. 

I'm running through e-mails and conversations with another school, which I visited and they seemed to really like me...but alas...imposter syndrome prevails. 

I just want to open my inbox and see "Congratulations!...." - sooner rather than later. 

Welcome, Welcome.  So glad you found us.  We are your new grad family.  And yes this is one hard month.  An email from your program (that is not a rejection) is always a good sign.  And we all want to see that Congratulations email.  It is difficult the wait....but so sweet the reward.  Talk to us often, because we understand and we want to celebrate with you when your good news comes!

I'm probably reading way too far into this but, one of the people I had contacted to be a POI recently had an interesting article published that I had contacted him about. When I had first contacted him the tone was pretty formal, he told me he wouldn't be taking on any new grad students anytime soon and recommended a couple other people to contact and strongly encouraged me to apply anyway as he thought that my research was well aligned with the program. After reading this article I emailed him the way I would any author, figuring he had forgotten about me. The tone of this email was noticeably different; very casual, conversational, and signed with his first name only. It's been bothering me for a week now but I'm hoping that it's a good sign.

I'm growing some flowers, and the first one to bloom is purple... maybe an omen that I'll end up at the school with a school color of purple?

That was my first thought when I saw what color it opened. Then I promptly laughed at myself. Soooo unscientific!  -_-

I'm growing some flowers, and the first one to bloom is purple... maybe an omen that I'll end up at the school with a school color of purple?

That was my first thought when I saw what color it opened. Then I promptly laughed at myself. Soooo unscientific!  -_-

This is the time to be unscientific!  Every color, song that comes on, dream, and off hand comment made by someone feels like an Omen about the programs we'll get into.  There's nothing wrong with that.  This is a stressful, rather tortuous process.  We need those things to help us along the way.  Unfortunately, I haven't had any good signs, or omens lately.  At this point, I would settle for a good old fashioned hallucination about my program!

I'm probably reading way too far into this but, one of the people I had contacted to be a POI recently had an interesting article published that I had contacted him about. When I had first contacted him the tone was pretty formal, he told me he wouldn't be taking on any new grad students anytime soon and recommended a couple other people to contact and strongly encouraged me to apply anyway as he thought that my research was well aligned with the program. After reading this article I emailed him the way I would any author, figuring he had forgotten about me. The tone of this email was noticeably different; very casual, conversational, and signed with his first name only. It's been bothering me for a week now but I'm hoping that it's a good sign.

Welcome!  No, I don't think you are reading too much into it.  Sometimes emails can be so cold.  To get an email like that is encouraging!  No matter what happens, it sounds like you should keep the lines of communication open with this POI.  Keep us posted on how things go for you!  :)

Well I just called a school that sent out their acceptances about a week ago but I hadn't heard anything from. The end result = rejection. When I told my SO he said, "Oh, school Y?" and I wailed, "No, school X!". Can't help feeling that was a bad omen. Especially since he named a school I have one of the best chances of getting into. :(

No idea what a Harvard Trip Balance is....I mean no clue.  But having said that, if you think it's a good sign, then we are with you!  Keep us posted!

Geeky science device. From the distributor Ohaus: Two-pan design is ideal for comparative weighing. Based on the classic Roberval balance principle, the Harvard Trip balance allows the determination of the difference in mass (rather than absolute value) between two objects.

Also had nice contact with Harvard POI yesterday. One thing supported the other. I think I've got a 50/50 shot. Time will tell.

Well I just called a school that sent out their acceptances about a week ago but I hadn't heard anything from. The end result = rejection. When I told my SO he said, "Oh, school Y?" and I wailed, "No, school X!". Can't help feeling that was a bad omen. Especially since he named a school I have one of the best chances of getting into. :(

Keep the faith. Just because you have best chances of getting into school X does not mean school Y won't see something remarkable in you !

Welcome, Welcome.  So glad you found us.  We are your new grad family.  And yes this is one hard month.  An email from your program (that is not a rejection) is always a good sign.  And we all want to see that Congratulations email.  It is difficult the wait....but so sweet the reward.  Talk to us often, because we understand and we want to celebrate with you when your good news comes!

Thanks so much! Hopefully it's a good sign! It's definitely the toughest program I applied to, any good signs welcome in my life. 

Welcome!  No, I don't think you are reading too much into it.  Sometimes emails can be so cold.  To get an email like that is encouraging!  No matter what happens, it sounds like you should keep the lines of communication open with this POI.  Keep us posted on how things go for you!  :)

Thanks! He is the closest fit out of all the programs I applied to and was recommended by one of my LORs who knows him so I'm hoping that those things work in my favor. My partner thought I was crazy when I told her I wasn't sure how to react to the email.

Is anyone else dreaming of grad school? This happens to me every night. 

I'm figuring it's either a good sign or a sign I'll be in a mental hospital soon. Either way, a sign. 

I've had a few dreams about being accepted and one about being denied. Not only are you not alone, but there is someone else in Miami doing the same thing!

Hey Plissken!  Welcome.  Glad you found us.  Yes, we are all about good vibes here.  We're committed to being good to each other, being that we are all going through the same  torturous process.  Now about your post - You have my official Woo Hoo!  I mean that is cool! Paying for you to come and interview, You have to feel like a major player!  (Dear God, if only my program would invite me to anything!!!!!)  Sorry, back to you.  It's past a good sign, it's an amazing sign.  And the fact that your recommender is also getting a recommendation from you, that must mean he is going to hook you up!  Yes, we have good vibe here, but what we've been needing is some Major Player Vibes!  Thank you for bringing them - that means more acceptances people!  :D

Thank you!  My son just told me it was "wack", but what does he know, he's seventeen!  Anyway, glad you stopped lurking.  We are officially your grad family now, so we care what happens to you.  Keep us posted and keep those Major Player vibes flowing!

Oh, by the way, it seems that I got voted down on another topic for talking about filling out portions of college apps for my son. :(  I never got voted down before...it stings.  It's brutal out there.  I think I'll stick to this topic and hang with my grad family.   The last thing I need in the midst of all this waiting is for a vote down to push me over the edge.  Where is the love?  Jeez Laweeze!

Oh dear, I saw that too, Eager. I think people are just so on edge over the stress of filling out their own apps that they can't imagine someone else doing it for them! 

As a note, is that how you spell jeez laweeze? I always kind of thought it was "jeez louise," though I do wonder about the identity of Louise...

For another omen, I found a pair of shoes I've been wanting marked down 60% - in exactly the school colors of the school I was just accepted to. I don't know if that's an omen that they'll come through on funding, or that they won't, and I'll need every discount I can find!  :huh:

First of all, I did spell it wrong, trying to be original, but from now on I will stick with the traditional spelling of Jeez louise.  Secondly,  YOU WERE ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!  That is wonderful!  Congrats, Congrats.  I am so happy for you!!!!!  Someone in Brooklyn is doing the happy dance for you.  Wooo Hooooo!!!!!! :D  :P  :lol:

My UT Austin status recently changed from "Your application for admission is in review" to "Your file has been forwarded to the Graduate Committee for review."  Is this normal and a hallucination?

Edited by michelle ♥

My UT Austin status recently changed from "Your application for admission is in review" to "Your file has been forwarded to the Graduate Committee for review."  Is this normal and a hallucination?

I would take it as a good sign. They have reviewed your application, so good news are on the way.

That is wonderful.  Of course it is a good sign.  It wasn't placed on the rejection pile.  You have gone to the next level!  You get my official....wait for it....wait for it.....Woooo Hoooooo!  I agree with Narcisso.  Good news is on the way!

I feel like this is 12-step program for anxiety :)  Hi, my name is Goober and I check my email 40 times a day!  I just wanted to say that I have received no omens or hallucinations   However, I'm really glad that I'm not the only one who is anxious.   Like many of you here, I see the logic in "you'll get in somewhere" and I also the the logic of "here are my qualifications, this is what the program requires" and being able to honestly evaluate my chances.  Yet, it matters not, I'm still checking my email and googling my school of choice to see if there are any updates.  And going on the gradcafe for any kind of hint or tip that I might have missed.

YUK.  Maybe I'll go paint my nails in my chosen schools colors to create my own luck haha.

I've had a few dreams about being accepted and one about being denied. Not only are you not alone, but there is someone else in Miami doing the same thing!

Baltimore, too! I have one almost every night. Mine are mostly rejections, some acceptances.  :P

Hi everyone! First of all, this is an awesome thread. So I've been feeling hopeless about getting accepted anywhere after I got rejected from a program a few weeks ago. But yesterday, something happened: I saw that a professor from a school I applied to had viewed my linkedin profile, and that we have one relation in common (whom I know from my summer internship, which is directly related to my academic area of interest). Now I'm wondering if that professor intentionally searched my profile, or if he just randomly checked the profiles of his relations' relations. If so it would be a surprising coincidence, since he teaches right in the field I'm interested in (international security), in one of the school I applied to. Also, he probably saw that I had viewed his profile after he had viewed mine, because today he checked my linkedin page again! Good sign or hallucination?