Good Sign, Omen or Hallucination - All Are Welcome!

Eager

Thanks for the reassurance, spacezeppelin and Eager! The vibe of the conversation was definitely good, but I hadn't quite allowed myself to hope that I was right about her not wanting to let the cat out of the bag, as you put it. I've got my fingers well crossed  :)

I fully admit this post is braggy. Sorry, but I have to freak out about it somewhere because i'm stuck at work and my co-workers arnt quite as happy about it because it means they have to replace me. I am officially 2 for 2 for graduate acceptances!

The "omen" in this whole thing is that these schools are leading up to my top two choices which are both a bit harder to get into. Hopefully i'm building up positive momentum! Maybe the universe is telling me I will be a good graduate student after all!

It's not braggy at all!  This is so awesome.  I am so happy for you.  Of course you are going to be a great grad student.  Wow! 2 for 2!  You go!  We celebrate you and look forward to more good news coming your way!  Wowzer!

I fully admit this post is braggy. Sorry, but I have to freak out about it somewhere because i'm stuck at work and my co-workers arnt quite as happy about it because it means they have to replace me. I am officially 2 for 2 for graduate acceptances!   The "omen" in this whole thing is that these schools are leading up to my top two choices which are both a bit harder to get into. Hopefully i'm building up positive momentum! Maybe the universe is telling me I will be a good graduate student after all!
Not bragging at all...rejoice!

Right. Last night I dreamed that my first choice school POI emailed me and was like, "you're in! Obviously. There was never any doubt. And we want to fund you to go to this years SAA conference in Hawaii. And we should start working on publishing your undergrad thesis!" I was not pleased when I woke up from that dream. My boyfriend was all ohhhh it's a sign and I'm thinking aren't you a psychologist? Clearly it's nothing more than my subconscious desires being really rude and messing with my head.

In the middle of a seminar today I checked my email (stupid, I know) and found a lovely notice from one of the universities to which I applied--saying "here's your official student ID for our school, but no decision yet." I could not, however, process it at the time as I was too excited/anxious/nervous to have gotten an email at all (despite it not even being my top choice) and the prof actually just read the email over my shoulder and interpreted bureaucratic speak for me. I'm not sure if this was a sign/omen/halluncination or simply bureaucracy being bureaucracy--but honestly, what sort of university just hands out student IDs (and emails) randomly? I'm confused/pissed off at the misdirection. Sigh.

This is my favourite topic. Nothing but good vibes. Hope you all have a great Wednesday! I have my first interview today!!

This is my favorite topic too!!!  I feel so encouraged when I read what people have to say here!  So excited for you.  Please let us know how it goes!!!!!

Right. Last night I dreamed that my first choice school POI emailed me and was like, "you're in! Obviously. There was never any doubt. And we want to fund you to go to this years SAA conference in Hawaii. And we should start working on publishing your undergrad thesis!" I was not pleased when I woke up from that dream. My boyfriend was all ohhhh it's a sign and I'm thinking aren't you a psychologist? Clearly it's nothing more than my subconscious desires being really rude and messing with my head.

Naaah!  I agree with your boyfriend.  I think it's not just a sign, it's an OMEN of good things to come.  I'm excited for you, even if you're not!  :P

and the decision came in from Minnesota as rejected...sigh

I didn't mean to vote your post up, I was trying to hit quote at that moment...didn't want you to wonder why I was voting up news of a rejection.  That said, I am sooooooo sorry to hear that.  I know it must be rough.  But you have a lot of places to hear from.  So this has toughened your skin, you've gotten the first one out of the way and now you can make way for the good news.  Keep your head up.  I believe in you!

In the middle of a seminar today I checked my email (stupid, I know) and found a lovely notice from one of the universities to which I applied--saying "here's your official student ID for our school, but no decision yet." I could not, however, process it at the time as I was too excited/anxious/nervous to have gotten an email at all (despite it not even being my top choice) and the prof actually just read the email over my shoulder and interpreted bureaucratic speak for me. I'm not sure if this was a sign/omen/halluncination or simply bureaucracy being bureaucracy--but honestly, what sort of university just hands out student IDs (and emails) randomly? I'm confused/pissed off at the misdirection. Sigh.

First, Welcome!  Secondly, why wonder?  It is one of two things, they either assign applicants a number that they can use to be easily identified, or you're in and that is your official student ID.  Why not just call Admissions and ask what it means.  Then you will know.  Keep us posted.  This sounds very interesting!!!

I was teetering between Good Sign and Omen when my application sported a nice little ""Your file has been forwarded to the Graduate Committee for review" notice.  But that just now switched to Denied, so I guess it was an Omen... 

My other application (same school, different program) still has that notice, though, so... lets hope for a good sign? 

That was my number one school   :(

I posted last week that I had a second interview with a program about which I wasn't sure if I was a good fit. The interview last Friday went pretty well but I was still not sure if I had any chance at all. I got the acceptance e-mail tonight and I am so much more excited than I expected to be! I guess I just decided in my head that it wasn't a good fit because I prepared myself mentally to be rejected. Aaah, I am so happy! I feel like dancing and getting drunk and dancing! :D

I wish everybody the best for this week's decisions!

Eager...Thank you for being this boards eternal optimist.  As one of the biggest pessimists I know its good to have someone that will talk me down a bit when things like this happen.  You are truly a much needed asset to this thread and board.

Awwwwww! That is so sweet!  I really believe that we will all get into the program that is meant for us....that said, if I have a little breakdown between now and the time I hear, don't hold it against me! :D

I was teetering between Good Sign and Omen when my application sported a nice little ""Your file has been forwarded to the Graduate Committee for review" notice.  But that just now switched to Denied, so I guess it was an Omen... 

My other application (same school, different program) still has that notice, though, so... lets hope for a good sign? 

That was my number one school   :(

I'm so sorry to hear that.  Sometimes the #1 school in our minds, doesn't necessarily mean it will be the best fit for us in the long run. I am definitely hoping that the other application will bring good news.  Believe and don't doubt! That is what I am telling myself over and over again!  :)

I posted last week that I had a second interview with a program about which I wasn't sure if I was a good fit. The interview last Friday went pretty well but I was still not sure if I had any chance at all. I got the acceptance e-mail tonight and I am so much more excited than I expected to be! I guess I just decided in my head that it wasn't a good fit because I prepared myself mentally to be rejected. Aaah, I am so happy! I feel like dancing and getting drunk and dancing! :D

I wish everybody the best for this week's decisions!

That is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! You should dance - and I mean the official happy dance.  Know that somewhere in Brooklyn, NY there is someone dancing and celebrating with you!  May the acceptances keep on rolling in!  Woooooo Hoooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!  Do you hear this everyone?  It is possible!  It will happen!!!!!!

Eager...Thank you for being this boards eternal optimist.  As one of the biggest pessimists I know its good to have someone that will talk me down a bit when things like this happen.  You are truly a much needed asset to this thread and board.

qft! love the optimism. i, too, tend to lean towards the pessimistic side of things, and i'm very critical of myself. my highs are very high, but even the littlest low puts me out of commission. all optimism and kindness are greatly appreciated- don't think it goes unnoticed!

a good omen: i had planned to buy myself a new pair of work pants as a reward for my next bit of good news (i should be hearing back from 2 or 3 places in the next 1-2 weeks). today, i found out that my job would get me a new pair of work pants and a new pair of work boots, because they wanted to ensure i was properly supplied for some monitoring work i'm starting tomorrow. two rewards ahead of time has to mean good news down the road, right?

qft! love the optimism. i, too, tend to lean towards the pessimistic side of things, and i'm very critical of myself. my highs are very high, but even the littlest low puts me out of commission. all optimism and kindness are greatly appreciated- don't think it goes unnoticed!

a good omen: i had planned to buy myself a new pair of work pants as a reward for my next bit of good news (i should be hearing back from 2 or 3 places in the next 1-2 weeks). today, i found out that my job would get me a new pair of work pants and a new pair of work boots, because they wanted to ensure i was properly supplied for some monitoring work i'm starting tomorrow. two rewards ahead of time has to mean good news down the road, right?

Oh, do I feel you! Absolutely.  It sounds like your job recognizes your value, so it's a no brainer that the right program will recognize your value as well.  1-2 weeks you say?  Well, I will be get ready to light this topic up with congrats when you get your good news!  Woooo Hooooo!

Let me tell you what I consider to be an amazing sign and Omen (a double whammie) and oddly enough it has nothing to do with my program.  I have been saying to my husband (we just celebrated 18 year of marriage last month) that "this is our time!"  We bought a foreclosure April of 2011 (you wouldn't believe for how much - crazy) 4 bedrooms, finished basement, three bathrooms. It was always my dream to own my own home and have a Ph.D. before I was 40.  Well at least I'm on track with the house. :P  Since we are in NY and the house is in Georgia it was so expensive going down to look at it, then going down to close, on and on and on.  We finally got a rent paying tenant (woooh hoooo hoooo!)  But we spent all the money getting his basement ready and the kitchen.  We have never stayed in the house.  We always took the kids and stayed in a hotel while we worked on it.  We finally made a decision that we would not stay in any hotels anymore.  So we decided we had to get bedroom sets for the four of us, fix the bathroom, oh and buy flooring and have it installed by the end of March, which is when we were going back.

It seemed impossible.  I mean impossible.  But all of a sudden, one by one, we have been getting little blessings dropped in our lap.  Unexpected blessings, and it looks like we might actually make it.  Now everything isn't paid for, but I just heard about another unexpected blessing the other day.  I looked at him and said again, "Baby, this is our time!"  After so many years of struggle, I really believe that.  And I know that those unexpected blessings won't just end at our house but it will sweep me right into the program I belong in.  This is my hope....my prayer for everyone that comes in contact with this topic.  It's not an accident.  This is our time!  Unexpected blessing are on the way....and not just with acceptance letters, that too, but think bigger than that...Something good is getting ready to happen!

First, Welcome!  Secondly, why wonder?  It is one of two things, they either assign applicants a number that they can use to be easily identified, or you're in and that is your official student ID.  Why not just call Admissions and ask what it means.  Then you will know.  Keep us posted.  This sounds very interesting!!!

Ah thanks Eager :) I second what's been said before--you're wonderfully optimistic and it's lovely and much needed!

I might give them a call if I don't hear back in a few weeks. It's a Canadian program and the deadline was only a few weeks ago--we do things a bit late over here. I guess I was just more baffled/confused that they went and assigned their applicants secondary IDs and email addresses and everything, even though most systems (here, at least) seem to just stick to one ID number. Seems terribly cumbersome to me... but I like things simple (and I also like not getting a jolt every time this same school emails with me with "here's your ID for this random thing that you may/may not need!"). I asked a friend who also applied there and he also got a similar email, so I guess it's just a part of the process... :/

Ah thanks Eager :) I second what's been said before--you're wonderfully optimistic and it's lovely and much needed!

I might give them a call if I don't hear back in a few weeks. It's a Canadian program and the deadline was only a few weeks ago--we do things a bit late over here. I guess I was just more baffled/confused that they went and assigned their applicants secondary IDs and email addresses and everything, even though most systems (here, at least) seem to just stick to one ID number. Seems terribly cumbersome to me... but I like things simple (and I also like not getting a jolt every time this same school emails with me with "here's your ID for this random thing that you may/may not need!"). I asked a friend who also applied there and he also got a similar email, so I guess it's just a part of the process... :/

First, thank you!  That makes me smile.  Secondly, I agree with you, it does seem awfully confusing and cumbersome that every applicant gets an email of an "official student Id"?  Jeeze!  In any case, as your deadline was only a few weeks ago, you do realize that as those of us who were here earlier move on to the forums for those in programs, you and others must take up the torch of optimism and allow it to burn brightly for others that will find this topic.  Are you ready to pick up your pom poms when I make my (hopefully graceful) exit and cheer others on?

FYI USC does the same thing. You get a PIN to log on to do your application and after you submit the application you get a USC student id later(got mine in ten days). But your case may be different entriely. USC stated that all applicants will get school ids after they submit an app.

First, thank you!  That makes me smile.  Secondly, I agree with you, it does seem awfully confusing and cumbersome that every applicant gets an email of an "official student Id"?  Jeeze!  In any case, as your deadline was only a few weeks ago, you do realize that as those of us who were here earlier move on to the forums for those in programs, you and others must take up the torch of optimism and allow it to burn brightly for others that will find this topic.  Are you ready to pick up your pom poms when I make my (hopefully graceful) exit and cheer others on?

Eager, I'm not terribly certain I'm all that optimistic -- I guess it'll depend on how my application season goes, I guess? But I'm more than happy to help cheer others on, for sure. :)

FYI USC does the same thing. You get a PIN to log on to do your application and after you submit the application you get a USC student id later(got mine in ten days). But your case may be different entriely. USC stated that all applicants will get school ids after they submit an app.

Glad to know I'm not alone! Yeah, they didn't say anywhere that we would get a PIN or anything like what I got... I mean, I guess it must be routine, it's just awfully frustrating. The bulk of my grad school related emails are all from this same school, come to think of it--I think they just add extra steps for no reason. Just to tease/taunt you....

I just posted this in the "Losing My Damn Mind" thread, but I will repost it here: Just found out my wife's step brother got into UCLA Law School, this is NOT helping my situation!!! Happy for him, but dangit!

Is this a Good sign or Omen???