Good Sign, Omen or Hallucination - All Are Welcome!

Eager

Eager -- I just wanted to encourage you as you have been doing for all of us selfish needy people :)  You will find your way, even if the doors close. I'm not trying to say you won't get in to your dream school and get into your dream spot, but I do have to say the most magical paths I've been on had nothing to do with what I had actually planned!!!   I'm in a completely different place and older with a family as well.  I know how you feel because I've sunk all my dreams and plans into one place, and it really, really makes me nervous because I'm usually a plan A, B, C, D and backup E kinda person. 

So be encouraged!  I just want you (as I want to also) enjoy the journey.  

Goob :)

Thank you so much.  Yo have no idea how much that means to me!  You're right of course.  I will end up where I need to.  I have put so much into this, my mother finally said, "I have never seen you like this!"  She's right.  I talk about it everyday. I dream about it and I think about it constantly.  I need to do less stressing and more trusting...I definitely needed the encouragement - thanks!

As I've seen mentioned here already, one of my documents (a letter of recommendation) was still missing, and the department emailed me asking for me to give that professor a friendly nudge so they could finish reviewing my app. If they really wanted to reject me, they wouldn't raise a fuss over one letter, would they? They had already received my transcripts/GRE scores/everything from my end. I am hoping it's a sign of good news. :D

I think it's great that they wanted to make sure all of your documents were in place.  That way they can evaluate you properly.  I like that they gave you advice on how to ask the professor for the recommendation: "a friendly nudge".  I name this officially a good sign.  Keep us posted!

All I have seen lately are state license plates and school logos for one of my top choices (which is 4 states away). I'm calling it a good omen?

Now that is an omen!  I love when things like that happens.  It feels like the universe is trying to tell you something.  (What I wouldn't do for an omen right about now!)  Hopefully this leads to an acceptance.  :D

After another day of silence from my top choice, I got off the elevator where I live and nearly ran into someone wearing a sweatshirt from the same school! Definitely calling this one a good omen. 

Oh, that is so an Omen!  The Omens are picking up people!  This has to mean good things,  We want to be the first to know when you get accepted.  Okay, maybe the second!  :D

I wanted to set up a campus visit with my number one school so that a) the visit would be set up if I get accepted and B ) it shows them how seriously I am taking this by willing to fly out even thought I haven't heard a decision.

The enrollment counselor set up an appointment to meet with me in late March, and also said that she scheduled a student worker to show me around campus. She also encouraged me to set up a meeting with the head of the program.

The thing is, apparently applicants don't find out a decision until mid March. So my visit is schedule for after the decision happens. Basically I have all of these appointments and I would have to obviously cancel them if I don't get accepted.

Is it normal to encourage students to buy plane tickets for after the decision date and fly out even if there is a chance they will be rejected? Or is this a good sign?

We want to be really responsible with what we say here.  I think that you should get some information first.  Someone else mentioned that the counselor may not be aware of the deadline.  I would think that that is exactly what the counselor should be aware of...by why take chances?  Why not just call and ask the counselor.  If she says that she is aware of it, then you will get my official Woo Hoo!  If not, then maybe she will realize it and want to reschedule.  I just don't want you to waste time or money.  Let us know if that makes sense.

I'm taking it as a good omen that one of the accounts I've been assigned at work shares a name with my number two school.  

Omens are the hot thing now it seems!  This means good things people!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay everyone, can I officially freak out now?  My program just started reporting.  I comforted myself before because no one had reported.  But two, only two have reported thus far!  They were accepted.  (Hooray for them! I mean that).  But this is it.  For me, the signs, the omens are over.  I will soon know.  God help me!  :rolleyes:

Edited by Eager

Okay everyone, can I officially freak out now?  My program just started reporting.  I comforted myself before because no one had reported.  But two, only two have repotted thus far!  They were accepted.  (Hooray for them! I mean that).  But this is it.  For me, the signs, the omens are over.  I will soon know.  God help me!  :rolleyes:

Good luck, Eager! You do such a good job buoying peoples' spirits around here I am sure you have earned some good karma from all that cheerleading! :D 

Good luck, Eager! You do such a good job buoying peoples' spirits around here I am sure you have earned some good karma from all that cheerleading! :D

From your mouth to God's ear.  I'm shaking like a leaf right now, but I'm hopeful...cautiously, joyfully, terrifyingly, hopeful!  :unsure:

Two days after the deadline I checked the status of my application which recorded my documents and stated "referred to the department." I didn't think much of this until a few weeks later people on my forum stated that their statuses had finally been recorded. I thought maybe this was because I dropped them off personally to the graduate office instead of mailing them that they recorded my application so early but a hopeful part of me is thinking it's maybe a good sign that it was referred to the department right away? Am I reading too much into this? Waiting is torture!

Okay everyone, can I officially freak out now?  My program just started reporting.  I comforted myself before because no one had reported.  But two, only two have reported thus far!  They were accepted.  (Hooray for them! I mean that).  But this is it.  For me, the signs, the omens are over.  I will soon know.  God help me!  :rolleyes:

Good luck, Eager. You've been supportive to so many, I thought I throw some back your way.

Good luck, Eager. You've been supportive to so many, I thought I throw some back your way.

Prayed for you this morning Eager!

Can't wait to hear your great news Eager :)

Thank you so much!  Having my grad family supporting me means more than I can say! As soon as I have some news I will let you all know!  :lol:

Two days after the deadline I checked the status of my application which recorded my documents and stated "referred to the department." I didn't think much of this until a few weeks later people on my forum stated that their statuses had finally been recorded. I thought maybe this was because I dropped them off personally to the graduate office instead of mailing them that they recorded my application so early but a hopeful part of me is thinking it's maybe a good sign that it was referred to the department right away? Am I reading too much into this? Waiting is torture!

I think it's great that you dropped them off yourself! I'm going with a good sign here.  Perhaps this will mean an early acceptance!  Keep us posted!

Good luck!

I received an email from my top choice last night... only to find out it was an auto-response from their financial aid office about receiving my FAFSA info. Never have I felt such a rapid rollercoaster of emotions.

Edited by jmullenite

I received an email from my top choice last night... only to find out it was an auto-response from their financial aid office about receiving my FAFSA info. Never have I felt such a rapid rollercoaster of emotions.

Yes, roller coaster! That is exactly what this feels like.  One moment we're excited, the next moment we are in total freak out mode.  I've had a lot of intense moments in my life, but on a scale from 1 to 100, this ranks a serious 100 in terms of intensity!  Hold on everyone, we will survive the ride!  And it will be worth every moment of sheer terror!  :D

I had a dream I was surfing in California with my cat (see avatar). I'm not sure if that qualifies as any sort of supernatural indicator but it was a nice change of dream-pace seeing how I've been so anxious lately. Good vibes to everyone, especially those like me who have yet to receive any decisions!

I had a dream I was surfing in California with my cat (see avatar). I'm not sure if that qualifies as any sort of supernatural indicator but it was a nice change of dream-pace seeing how I've been so anxious lately. Good vibes to everyone, especially those like me who have yet to receive any decisions!

What a cute dream and what a cute cat!  Yes, you and I seem to be in the same grad boat.  No decisions yet.  I hope we both will hear good news soon!

I had a dream that Bill Murray hired me to work at a hospital he ran.

Anyway, I need all the good omens I can get. My interview is thursday morning.

Hmmmmmm, hired by Bill Murray, that is an interesting one.  I interpret that as new opportunities coming your way and an offer by someone very special.  I name this a good Omen.  Keep us posted on how things go for you! How exciting!!!  :)