Good Sign, Omen or Hallucination - All Are Welcome!

Eager

going just a little bit coconuts waiting for an answer.  I know I won't hear anything for at least another two weeks.  But going coconuts nonetheless.   Here shortly I'll be so busy with my thesis I won't have time to go through the boards incessantly looking for an answer I know won't be there.

COCONUTS!  No omens or signs.  Other than in a Nostradamus-like moment I felt the need to "predict" I'd get accepted.   Did I mention I'm going coconuts?  I really should be doing dishes or laundry or homework.  Anything but on this board posting about how I'm hating waiting.  However, I decided that I'd post real quick, get it out of my system, and then go do some homework.  Gonna save dishes and stuff until after the kiddo comes home so I don't sit at the computer all night.

coooooooCOnut.

That is so funny!!! Coconuts. This process does make you feel nutty doesn't it?  :blink: I actually said to my mother, "If I had known that this process was going to be so torturous-"  She cut me off and said, "You would have done it anyway!"  She's right!  And I think that's true for most of us!  Knowing all that we do now, we would all probably do it all over again!  :D

Edited by Eager

I think the funniest thing about all this for me is how I THOUGHT I would handle it. I have a twin who applied to graduate school last year. She actually handled it really well, but there is still an unavoidable level of drama that just goes with the territory. I was determined to at least match her good behavior. I talked about how zen I would be about the whole thing, and how I wouldn’t be disappointed if I didn’t get into my reach schools.

Yeah...didn't happen. I have been anything but zen. I have a few really good options and i'm STILL freaking out. Its really quite pathetic. I can't imagine handling anything well at this point. I should work on that...

Edited by spacezeppelin

I keep getting mixed messages from this program and I don't know what to think!!!

I interviewed with them on Feb. 8th and I think it went really well. One of the graduate students even said that they put a good word in with the admissions committee when asked the general question "did anyone stick out to you?"

I took that as a really positive sign, but its been a little while and other people (from earlier interview weeks) are getting their acceptance notices. When I sent them my thank you notes, I had one respond with "Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you with your decision process." Which I took as a really positive sign. 

However, the other ones where things like "Best of luck to you" and "I wish you all the best". Which I took as a not so good sign. 

The waiting is just really killing me. I loved this program when I visited and really want to go there. I'm about to over analyze myself out of my own mind. 

First, Welcome!  Secondly, I know it's hard to take this advice (I'm trying to to take it myself) STOP OVER THINKING THINGS!  I know, I know, easier said than done.  But let me share this with you all.  I am part of a support group and there are affirmations that are written out and laid out on the table that we can see during our meetings.  There was one that I saw that blew my mind and changed my life.  I remind myself of it often.  It is this: Suffering Is Optional.  Wow!  We only suffer because we choose to suffer.  So, just for today, choose not to suffer.  Much love! :)

Edited by Eager

Grad fam, here is the latest on my journey: I called the department of my dream program today and received some information.  I have to wait until May  :( but then I can obtain permission from the English Department to take classes (this is because I teach a certain amount of credits).  If I get that permission, the classes would be free - and I will be taking the general approach.  I didn't know there was such a thing.  So that's exciting.  Even though I have to wait until May, I'm going to email the APO of the program and introduce myself so that she will recognize my name in May.  If this works, I hopefully will be in the same classes I would have been in if I had been accepted. In the meantime, I will work on making myself a better candidate for the next go round.  I hope this works because my mentor said something to me that meant a lot.  She said, "If they met you, they would want you."  Let's hope this works and let's hope that's true!  :D

Edited by Eager

Please send me good vibes this week!

You know your grad family is behind you and sending out good vibes for you.  I am actually going to send some special Brooklyn Vibes.  I don't know, my special Brooklyn vibes are powerful.  Hope you can handle them!  :D

First, Welcome!  Secondly, I know it's hard to take this advice (I'm trying to to take it myself) STOP OVER THINKING THINGS!  I know, I know, easier said than done.  But let me share this with you all.  I am part of a support group and there are affirmations that are written out and laid out on the table that we can see during our meetings.  There was one that I saw that blew my mind and changed my life.  I remind myself of it often.  It is this: Suffering Is Optional.  Wow!  We only suffer because we choose to suffer.  So, just for today, choose not to suffer.  Much love! :)

You know, thanks. That's really good advice and I will do my best to take it to heart. And good luck to you!!!

Suffering Is Optional.  Wow!  We only suffer because we choose to suffer.  So, just for today, choose not to suffer.  Much love! :)

This is so true! I was AFK for four days this week because of the death of a loved one. I made myself put down my phone and stop checking while I focused on family. And you know what? I felt so much better! Of course now life is back to "normal" and I am checking again... but I do feel a little calmer. I got my first rejection today too.

all of my fingers and toes are crossed for you, eager! your good vibes have helped me immensely so i'm sending as many as i can your way! <3

Pears, I am so happy for your success. You have such a beautiful spirit and you deserve happiness and more importantly joy!  There is a difference.  Thank you so much for your well wishes.  We are all going to succeed - it's just that some of us will experience different paths to success.  You know....I'm alright with that!  :D

This is so true! I was AFK for four days this week because of the death of a loved one. I made myself put down my phone and stop checking while I focused on family. And you know what? I felt so much better! Of course now life is back to "normal" and I am checking again... but I do feel a little calmer. I got my first rejection today too.

I am so sorry that you received a rejection!  I feel your pain.  My virtual arms are wrapped around you.  Hugs and more hugs my friend.  But please do keep focusing on family and taking good care of yourself.  Much love! :)

I got an email tonight from the Graduate Director at Missouri and I was informed that I was accepted without funding but he sounded optimistic that there would probably be some funding later.  I'm sending good vibes to all of you still waiting it out in hopes that you get some good news soon.

I got an email tonight from the Graduate Director at Missouri and I was informed that I was accepted without funding but he sounded optimistic that there would probably be some funding later.  I'm sending good vibes to all of you still waiting it out in hopes that you get some good news soon.

That is wonderful.  I was just shutting down for the night and it is wonderful to get this great news before I slip into sweet dreams.  So happy for you my friend.  Please celebrate your success.  You deserve it!  Virtual high five and good vibes on funding.  Wooo Hooooo!

Last night I dreamed I was accepted into Brown.  And then I woke up.  That part sucked.   :rolleyes: (They sent me a letter with a pretty little certificate that said Congratulations!  Oh well...)

..this is probably a hallucination more than anything

Well, I heard from one of the programs I applied to. (not the one I interviewed at) And it was a rejection.... kinda sad

They asked if I wanted to be considered for their Masters program without fellowship aid. I'm not really sure what to say to that.

Edited by Reatha

So I've been having many dreams about one of my schools the past few nights.

And I think I just got accepted? I recieved an email with a PDF saying I was admitted and to please respond by march 22nd. Ten minutes later I receive an email saying to "please disregard the previous email because there was an incorrect date on it"

So I think I'm still accepted and just that the response date was wrong? I hope so otherwise it would suck if they were like "haha jk you didn't get in at all"

Also it came from my deptartment not the general admissions. And it came about 3 weeks earlier than they said it would. Hopefully a good start to my birthday! (Which is Saturday)

Edited by LndscpDsign

According to results, about 3 people applying to my top choice have heard acceptances via phone. I'm struggling to determine if they're calling all admits (they did not call all last year) or if they are calling only certain applicants with special circumstances.

I can't tell if I should call this one a wash. 

LndscpDsign: That's awesome!!! You definitely would not have received that if they weren't accepting you. Must be the date!! Yay!!!

In other news, last night I dreamt I got 2 acceptance letters. One was some unheard of school but had maroon colors so it must've been related to Fordham which I have applied to, one was from Penn State (which I haven't applied to at all). It was exciting nonetheless. 

According to results, about 3 people applying to my top choice have heard acceptances via phone. I'm struggling to determine if they're calling all admits (they did not call all last year) or if they are calling only certain applicants with special circumstances.

I can't tell if I should call this one a wash. 

I know the feeling. I've heard applicants at the program I interviewed at are getting phone calls, but not everyone who was admitted said they got one. I think its still early to call a school a wash though. 

Also its a lot of phone calls to call everyone that you are going to admit in one day. I can see them trying to space it out. 

I dreamed I was working in a lab somewhere last night. It was a good deal greener than AZ, which is really every school I applied to, so clearly I must be getting in to all of them. B)

Just an update I spoke with my department and everything is correct now and my official acceptance is in the mail :). They still want me to decide by march 22nd I guess because they are offering me a scholarship. Hopefully this week is good news for everyone here too! I know how stressful the wait is!

I don't know how to feel. A bunch of musicologists got rejections from Case yesterday. I didn't receive a rejection, but I also haven't heard...anything. I would ask if admits have gone out or if I'm on some sort of invisible waiting list, but the department website emphasizes the "we will contact you" attitude towards admissions. Still...maybe a good sign? Or, at the very least, an omen?

I don't know how to feel. A bunch of musicologists got rejections from Case yesterday. I didn't receive a rejection, but I also haven't heard...anything. I would ask if admits have gone out or if I'm on some sort of invisible waiting list, but the department website emphasizes the "we will contact you" attitude towards admissions. Still...maybe a good sign? Or, at the very least, an omen?

This is a stretch, but I know someone in the Musicology dept. at Case and something in her facebook status update yesterday made me think they were still evaluating.

Edit: did you get an interview?

Edit 2: they Google you apparently, so be careful.

Edited by iphi

I dreamed I was working in a lab somewhere last night. It was a good deal greener than AZ, which is really every school I applied to, so clearly I must be getting in to all of them. B)

Sounds solid to me.  ;)