Good Sign, Omen or Hallucination - All Are Welcome!

Eager

Just heard back from a school I interviewed with back in January. They're still interested, and I'll be hearing from another professor in the department soon. Exciting!

Just heard back from a school I interviewed with back in January. They're still interested, and I'll be hearing from another professor in the department soon. Exciting!

"Still interested" you don't know how good those words sound!!!  I'm happy for you.  Keep us posted.  Hopefully this turns into a full blown acceptance!

Only 1 school left to hear from and then the waiting for responses game gives way to the waiting for classes to start game.

I hope I am with you among those taking classes, even though it will be as a non-matrich, it will be so exciting!  Make sure you stop back every once in a while to keep us posted on your success!

I got a rejection from Oregon State on Tuesday.  And then on Wednesday I got another rejection from Oregon State.  Thanks, I get it.   :wacko:

Apparently my number 2 school sent out acceptances this week, but I've gotten neither acceptance nor denial, so I'm still holding out hope... (maybe they've been meaning to call me, but they forgot to pay their phone bill, so it'll take a few days to sort out that snafu... oh, and the weather's bad, so maybe a tree knocked out their power... yeah, that's it)

It's a rough patch and rough patches are hard.  Hang in there.  Your are developing a tough skin, and I really believe that you will be better after having gone through this process.  Believe that it will be worth it. BELIEVE!!!!!!  :)

Last Monday, I interviewed at a school that I am genuinely interested in. It's not my first choice, but it's probably my second. I really like the work that my POI is doing there, and would be very happy at the school. The problem is that the funding situation is iffy, at best.

A week after the interview, my undergrad advisor (who has collaborated with my POI in the past) sends me this email:

"I had a very nice talk with [POI] about you on Monday.  He really liked you, thought you had great ideas, and was very positive about you.  As you said, the TA situation is bad there and his lab is big.  Evidently he doesn’t get  any votes on who comes in, but the final decision will be decided by the Chair.  (I’ve got to say, this would never be tolerated at [my undergrad institution].)  So it sounds discouraging and he was discouraged, but you did really well."

Yeah, definitely discouraging. 

Several days after that, I get an email from the department chair at this school, telling me that my third LOR was never received (an issue that I am scrambling to fix right now). But, in that same email, she says "Thank you very much for interviewing with us. We are very interested in your application...."

So, is this a good sign? The person who is in control of deciding who gets in and who gets funded is "very interested?" I'm telling myself that... time will tell if it is or not! Assuming, of course, my letter writer gets his act together!

Of course it is a good sign.  "Very interested in your application" are the words you want to hear.  It means that they recognize that you are a stellar candidate.  This sounds awesome.  Keep us posted on every little detail.  Welcome to our grad family!  :D

Nevermind, my status just updated to decision made, and since I never interviewed with this program, I'm going to assume its a rejection. 

Why assume that?  It's not over until it's over.  Besides there is something amazing out there for you...if not this, still something amazing.  I choose to believe that. Believe with me.  :)

I was so pumped I was supposed to hear back from my last two schools by today. The first department changed last night from end of February to end of march.

A friend called my other choice dept and they said they had finalized "all" decisions yesterday and will be notifying applicants sporadically over the next few weeks, only notifying a few per day.

I'm starting to think Im making this up.. Maybe I'll wake up soon.

Edited by LndscpDsign

Why assume that?  It's not over until it's over.  Besides there is something amazing out there for you...if not this, still something amazing.  I choose to believe that. Believe with me.  :)

Because it happened. I got the rejection letter yesterday.

I'm still holding out some semblance of hope for the program that I interviewed with. But the longer they take to respond the less likely it is. They just finished their last interview weekend, so the best I' hoping for is that I was waitlisted after mine and they were just waiting until the last weekend to decide on my application. 

It makes logical sense to me, but I still think the end result is I'm not going to grad school...

Yesterday I had a Skype interview and at the end they told me that I was admitted! I went to my university, came home, checked my email and found out that I've been accepted to yet another university (third acceptance during the week). 

I'd be really happy, but there are two reasons why I'm not. First, there's no info on funding yet, in neither school. Second, my life has changed SO drastically over the last two months, that I am not sure whether I can and/or want to go to study to the US anymore (personal reasons). It would've been funny if it wasn't so sad. I've been dreaming of being admitted to a US school for the last 5 years or so, and suddenly I'm not even happy to find out that I've been accepted.

I do realize that most people would've been over the moon, having found out that they were admitted to, say, NYU. I am trying to persuade myself that I should be happy and proud of myself, but I can't...

Firstly, congratulations on your acceptances.  Secondly, regarding your life changes which have happened over the past 2 months--are these changes that are totally unrelated to your career or are they directly related? For instance, if you are reconsidering what you want to do with your career and spending time/$$ in the US for schooling in an area that you dont really want to pursue afterall is definitely a serious consideration.  Finances are also a serious consideration. However, if these changes are related to your social life (for instance, a bad break-up, family conflict, fear of leaving your support system, etc) then I would urge you to think long and hard about turning down an offer.  That is, once the crisis passes, you may strongly regret putting your future on hold for something that is no longer a factor.

Yesterday I had a Skype interview and at the end they told me that I was admitted! I went to my university, came home, checked my email and found out that I've been accepted to yet another university (third acceptance during the week). 

I'd be really happy, but there are two reasons why I'm not. First, there's no info on funding yet, in neither school. Second, my life has changed SO drastically over the last two months, that I am not sure whether I can and/or want to go to study to the US anymore (personal reasons). It would've been funny if it wasn't so sad. I've been dreaming of being admitted to a US school for the last 5 years or so, and suddenly I'm not even happy to find out that I've been accepted.

I do realize that most people would've been over the moon, having found out that they were admitted to, say, NYU. I am trying to persuade myself that I should be happy and proud of myself, but I can't...

So is this a good omen or nothing?

I received a call from one of my schools that should be announcing decisions within the next two weeks or so. The person (in administration) just wanted to make sure that I am taking required courses "in case" I am admitted.

Would they bother to call and check if I was not being considered??

Firstly, congratulations on your acceptances.  Secondly, regarding your life changes which have happened over the past 2 months--are these changes that are totally unrelated to your career or are they directly related? For instance, if you are reconsidering what you want to do with your career and spending time/$$ in the US for schooling in an area that you dont really want to pursue afterall is definitely a serious consideration.  Finances are also a serious consideration. However, if these changes are related to your social life (for instance, a bad break-up, family conflict, fear of leaving your support system, etc) then I would urge you to think long and hard about turning down an offer.  That is, once the crisis passes, you may strongly regret putting your future on hold for something that is no longer a factor.

You are absolutely right. Moreover, I totally understand that my reasons are not that serious and shouldn't prevent me from studying overseas. I guess I'll just wait and see.

I guess I'll just wait and see.
That is exactly what I would advise you to do. Until you are required to make a decision, wait a while so you can think on it, sleep on it, let it sink in, etc. They give you time to consider, use it. :)

I have this very negative feeling about the next week. I hope it turns out to just be anxiety. I'm hoping for good news only. 
I hope so too. Good luck. :)

That's how I felt last week. I had this terrible sinking feeling that I couldn't shake for a few days.  But since I heard nothing from my schools (still deafening silence!), I suspect it was only nerves.

As Sansao said, 'good luck!'

I hope we all have good news to report soon :)

I have this very negative feeling about the next week. I hope it turns out to just be anxiety. I'm hoping for good news only. 

I'm actually bouncing between hopeful optimism (and then I decide its bad luck to get too optimistic) and there's no way I'm getting into graduate school. 

Its more like I'll convince myself I'm not getting in, my friends will convince me I am and I keep bouncing between the two. 

I should hear from one of my programs this week and if I don't I'm allowed to call on friday, so either way I should have some kind of an answer this week from them. 

Honestly I think the best I can hope for from them is that I've been waitlisted and to hope that I get accepted later....

I'm actually bouncing between hopeful optimism (and then I decide its bad luck to get too optimistic) and there's no way I'm getting into graduate school. 

Its more like I'll convince myself I'm not getting in, my friends will convince me I am and I keep bouncing between the two. 

I should hear from one of my programs this week and if I don't I'm allowed to call on friday, so either way I should have some kind of an answer this week from them. 

Honestly I think the best I can hope for from them is that I've been waitlisted and to hope that I get accepted later....

Sooo, last week, I emailed the director of graduate studies in the department. He took a few days to answer, but he essentially said that he hopes to hear back on my case this week, and that he will be in touch.

Fingers and toes are crossed!

Good luck Callista! I had convinced myself I would hear good news last week. Oh well, no news at all. I discovered that my top choice goes on spring break next week. My guess is that means I'll hear back either Friday of this week, or the week after their spring break. They either want it done and over with by spring break or they will look over apps during spring break. They have a final deadline of April 15, but both alumni and the program told me they usually make decisions before that. And the waiting game goes on.... And on....

this weekend, i met my S.O.'s family for the first time- his parents own a store dedicated to every sort of new age thing you can imagine (crystals, meditation, yoga, astrology, incense, and so on), and although he doesn't buy into it, i'm intrigued by it all, so i let his parents tell me about my astrology (natal chart), totem animals, crystals, etc., just for the heck of it. 

in short: i was told that a "chronic illness" recently cleared up, and they gave me a few stones for luck, among other things, and told me that i would have a dream that would answer a question that'd been on my mind for a while. a couple weeks ago, my doctor confirmed that i was 100% rid of a chronic illness that i've been dealing with for a few years, and last night, on the train home, i had a vivid dream that i got accepted to my second choice program via email. i got an acceptance email this afternoon from the same program.

dang, universe. you freaky.

this weekend, i met my S.O.'s family for the first time- his parents own a store dedicated to every sort of new age thing you can imagine (crystals, meditation, yoga, astrology, incense, and so on), and although he doesn't buy into it, i'm intrigued by it all, so i let his parents tell me about my astrology (natal chart), totem animals, crystals, etc., just for the heck of it. 

in short: i was told that a "chronic illness" recently cleared up, and they gave me a few stones for luck, among other things, and told me that i would have a dream that would answer a question that'd been on my mind for a while. a couple weeks ago, my doctor confirmed that i was 100% rid of a chronic illness that i've been dealing with for a few years, and last night, on the train home, i had a vivid dream that i got accepted to my second choice program via email. i got an acceptance email this afternoon from the same program.

dang, universe. you freaky.

That's so cool though!!!

And congratulations!!!

I woke up this morning and said it was going to be a good day. I even posted of fb that I was only putting positive energy into the universe so that positive energy will come back to me. 

Today I got a rejection notice, called a school to inquire about my status and was told if I hadn't heard anything by now it didn't look good. I spilled coffee all over my desk, my phone died while it was timing an experiment.

And then to finish it off my pants ripped while I was bending over. Instead of crying this through me into a fit of laughter to which I say, universe you did not win! I have chosen to believe good things are coming, even if its not going to graduate school this fall.