Good Sign, Omen or Hallucination - All Are Welcome!

Eager

Does response mean acceptance?  You also said you thought it was a good sign.  I'm unclear.  I mean I don't just do happy dances all willy Nilly.  Were you accepted? Waitlisted? Asked out for brunch? Specificity if you please! :blink:

In this case response does mean acceptance!   I said it's a good sign because I'm still holding out for my first choice haha.  And now that I know I'm worthy for at least ONE master's program, maybe, just maybe -- I'll be worthy of my preferred program!  You know, those mental games we play with ourselves.

It was a really no frills email.  It was like, you have been accepted and this is how you enroll.  Also, we need your immunization records.  hahahaha.   I'm going to write them Monday and ask about GA positions.  They also said I need to take some prerequisites that I've already had...  Soooo need to check on that too.

Sorry for being nonspecific haha!  In my mind a response = acceptance because I was getting tired of hearing nothing...

In this case response does mean acceptance!   I said it's a good sign because I'm still holding out for my first choice haha.  And now that I know I'm worthy for at least ONE master's program, maybe, just maybe -- I'll be worthy of my preferred program!  You know, those mental games we play with ourselves.

It was a really no frills email.  It was like, you have been accepted and this is how you enroll.  Also, we need your immunization records.  hahahaha.   I'm going to write them Monday and ask about GA positions.  They also said I need to take some prerequisites that I've already had...  Soooo need to check on that too.

Sorry for being nonspecific haha!  In my mind a response = acceptance because I was getting tired of hearing nothing...

Well that's another story!  Woooooooo Hoooooooo!  That is so cooool.  I am so happy for you.  I know you are so relieved.  You have such a cool spirit...and you are so supportive.  You deserve it indeed.  May I have this dance?  Happy Dance!  Happy Dance!  That was awesome and you are awesome, this whole thread is awesome!  Woooooo Hooooo!  :P

I'm now pretty sure I have been rejected from that school I was so confident about seeing signs from. Blah. 

But you haven't gotten a rejection yet, right?  You have to keep your spirits up.  Believe in yourself.  You have no idea how much I believe in you!  If not this program, then you will get into the program that is right for you.  Stay strong. Virtual hug...and let me tell you something, my hugs are awesome!

But you haven't gotten a rejection yet, right?  You have to keep your spirits up.  Believe in yourself.  You have no idea how much I believe in you!  If not this program, then you will get into the program that is right for you.  Stay strong. Virtual hug...and let me tell you something, my hugs are awesome!

Not yet, and it's not totally over until I see that rejection in my inbox. Until then, all hugs are welcome.

You can do it Jmarti :)  I thought I'd be super relieved to get one acceptance, now I'm getting anxious over my preferred choice.  *virtual hug*

Oh, and if that doesn't help -- alll the Easter candy is out!  YAY!  Starburst Jelly Beans and Cadbury Creme eggs!!!  

BTW Eager -- thanks for all the compliments.  I'm trying to take them without making silly comments to blow them off -- I have got to learn how to take a compliment haha.  BTW you have a fabulous happy dance.   You have to keep us updated and let us know what they say in March.

Is it a bad idea to call and school to see where they are in their admissions process? 

I interviewed with a program and they said I should hear from them in 2-4 weeks. It will be three weeks this Friday, so I know they still have more time to get back to me. 

You can do it Jmarti :)  I thought I'd be super relieved to get one acceptance, now I'm getting anxious over my preferred choice.  *virtual hug*

Oh, and if that doesn't help -- alll the Easter candy is out!  YAY!  Starburst Jelly Beans and Cadbury Creme eggs!!!  

BTW Eager -- thanks for all the compliments.  I'm trying to take them without making silly comments to blow them off -- I have got to learn how to take a compliment haha.  BTW you have a fabulous happy dance.   You have to keep us updated and let us know what they say in March.

God help me it's May not March!  But it sounds like they are going to give me permission from the email I received.  It's not an acceptance mind you, but free grad classes in my dream program are better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick!

It's funny you say that about compliments. because I had an awesome class today and I discussed with my students how some people divert compliments, laugh them off or even in extreme cases apologize for their success.  This process can be so battering to our self esteem.  But we have to remember that we are accomplished people.  And besides the accomplishments, can I say to you specifically and to my grad family in general that there was such a well of compassion overflowing for me when I was ruthlessly rejected by my program (on Valentine's day darn them to the pit of heck! Sorry...but Valentines day?) that it truly showed me that people are not as cruel and judgmental as is often talked about.  I have found people on this thread to not only be compassionate, but thoughtful, helpful and responsible with advice.  I wouldn't want to do this journey with another group of people.  I hope at least a few of us stay in touch - and maybe those of us that do, when are all in our programs and there is no fear of reprisal, we can actually reveal ourselves.  I don't know if you know this but I am not actually a beaver - as my profile picture suggests!  :P

Is it a bad idea to call and school to see where they are in their admissions process? 

I interviewed with a program and they said I should hear from them in 2-4 weeks. It will be three weeks this Friday, so I know they still have more time to get back to me. 

Honestly, I don't really think it matters.  If they have info they can give it to you.  But for all our calling and all our guestimating, they will tell us when they get good and ready.  So, you should call if it makes you feel better.  Anyone disagree?

Well my "omen" turned out to be nothing. I was rejected from that school today. :(

I'm so sorry.  Keep You Head Up.  You will be better after this process no matter what happens.  We are with you.

Well I think a good sign in terms of hearing back,

My top choice school is reporting results for half of the master programs in its specific department(my masters is in the half that isn't reporting according to this site). They also updated the department website saying unofficial acceptances will be going out by the end of February via email. These next three days are going to be killer.

Edited by LndscpDsign

First, welcome, welcome!!!!  I think that is amazingly awesome!  The coordinator looking for funding opportunities for you? Yes, this is a great sign.  So happy for you.  Keep us posted on every little detail!  :D
True, it was a great sign. And I thank the Lord. The department email came today. The official grad sch offer will come later. It is also a great sign for the other decisions in the coming weeks.

Honestly I'm beginning to wonder if any of this is worth it anymore. I'm so tired of silence and obsessively checking my application status. And at the same time, I keep looking around at work and think I don't want this to be my life. 

That's why I applied to graduate school, to pursue the life and career that I do want. 

I guess anything worth having isn't meant to come easy. 

This is a silly one. I am applying to Pittsburgh and my friend is at an airport where Pittsburgh and my hometown share a baggage claim. :P

Hey, it's been months since I submitted my app, I need to hold onto SOMETHING. haha

This is a silly one. I am applying to Pittsburgh and my friend is at an airport where Pittsburgh and my hometown share a baggage claim. :P

Hey, it's been months since I submitted my app, I need to hold onto SOMETHING. haha

One of the school I applied to was Pittsburgh as well. I haven't heard anything after initially some positive feedback. Its making me nervous since the program is doing another interview weekend and I'm still sitting in limbo. 

(and when I say positive I mean one of the graduate students when prompted suggested me to the program)...

True, it was a great sign. And I thank the Lord. The department email came today. The official grad sch offer will come later. It is also a great sign for the other decisions in the coming weeks.

That is wonderful!  I thank the Lord with you!  This is a wonderful moment in your life.  Enjoy it....truly enjoy it.  Happy Dance going on in y'all!  So cool!  Wooooooo Hooooooooo! :P

Well I think a good sign in terms of hearing back,

My top choice school is reporting results for half of the master programs in its specific department(my masters is in the half that isn't reporting according to this site). They also updated the department website saying unofficial acceptances will be going out by the end of February via email. These next three days are going to be killer.

Hang in there!  Try to do something nice for yourself as you wait.  Self care is so important as we go through this brutal process.  Do something to make yourself smile - or laugh out loud for no reason except you're happy to be alive.   :D

Honestly I'm beginning to wonder if any of this is worth it anymore. I'm so tired of silence and obsessively checking my application status. And at the same time, I keep looking around at work and think I don't want this to be my life. 

That's why I applied to graduate school, to pursue the life and career that I do want. 

I guess anything worth having isn't meant to come easy. 

Take it from a person who has gone through this, been rejected and plans to start this crazy process all over again -it's worth it!  Getting my Masters changed my life.  I can imagine what my PhD will do!  We will all be better people after we go through this!  :lol:

Hang in there!  Try to do something nice for yourself as you wait.  Self care is so important as we go through this brutal process.  Do something to make yourself smile - or laugh out loud for no reason except you're happy to be alive.   :D
My treat to myself, letting myself order McDonald's lmao!!!! I'm swamped with setting up for the Philly flower show otherwise so friday should come quick.

Nevermind, my status just updated to decision made, and since I never interviewed with this program, I'm going to assume its a rejection. 

Last Monday, I interviewed at a school that I am genuinely interested in. It's not my first choice, but it's probably my second. I really like the work that my POI is doing there, and would be very happy at the school. The problem is that the funding situation is iffy, at best.

A week after the interview, my undergrad advisor (who has collaborated with my POI in the past) sends me this email:

"I had a very nice talk with [POI] about you on Monday.  He really liked you, thought you had great ideas, and was very positive about you.  As you said, the TA situation is bad there and his lab is big.  Evidently he doesn’t get  any votes on who comes in, but the final decision will be decided by the Chair.  (I’ve got to say, this would never be tolerated at [my undergrad institution].)  So it sounds discouraging and he was discouraged, but you did really well."

Yeah, definitely discouraging. 

Several days after that, I get an email from the department chair at this school, telling me that my third LOR was never received (an issue that I am scrambling to fix right now). But, in that same email, she says "Thank you very much for interviewing with us. We are very interested in your application...."

So, is this a good sign? The person who is in control of deciding who gets in and who gets funded is "very interested?" I'm telling myself that... time will tell if it is or not! Assuming, of course, my letter writer gets his act together!

I got a rejection from Oregon State on Tuesday.  And then on Wednesday I got another rejection from Oregon State.  Thanks, I get it.   :wacko:

Apparently my number 2 school sent out acceptances this week, but I've gotten neither acceptance nor denial, so I'm still holding out hope... (maybe they've been meaning to call me, but they forgot to pay their phone bill, so it'll take a few days to sort out that snafu... oh, and the weather's bad, so maybe a tree knocked out their power... yeah, that's it)