Good Sign, Omen or Hallucination - All Are Welcome!

Eager

Are you applying to school in Hawaii? Cockroaches are so prevalent there, they're like family! Surely an omen. (I miss Hawaii, even the cockroaches)

no but I recently moved to Texas, and I see baby roaches once in a while. This is my first experience with pests, and they're making me paraniod. I'm pretty sure there's one currently residing in my alarm clock or computer.

My omens (AND good signs) lied. Waitlisted.  :(

Here's hoping that everyone else gets good news as we really get into the thick of decision season, though.

Waitlisted is better than a flat-out rejection.  Did you find out where you were on the list?  You could be high on their list for all you know.  I would rather be wait listed than rejected any day.  There is still hope!

Are you applying to school in Hawaii? Cockroaches are so prevalent there, they're like family! Surely an omen. (I miss Hawaii, even the cockroaches)

Are you from Hawaii? My avatar is a bit deceptive, as I am from Hawaii but defected when I graduated from high school.

Waitlisted is better than a flat-out rejection.  Did you find out where you were on the list?  You could be high on their list for all you know.  I would rather be wait listed than rejected any day.  There is still hope!

No, they didn't tell me where I am on the list. Unfortunately, there is just one spot open, and I'm worried that waiting to hear from them could interfere with me accepting the offer I already have (I'm already mentally apologizing to the people on THAT waitlist), if this one never does come through. But thank you for the kind words.  :)

I interviewed at one of my schools a couple weeks ago.  At the end of the day I was saying goodbye to a couple of the professors and one of them said to me something along the lines of*, "keep believing psychdork".  He seemed completely sincere as he said this.  That has to be a good sign, right?

*Slightly changed so I don't out myself.

Apparently I should sleep, because for some reason I interpreted this as him literally calling you "psychdork."  I was like, "He knows about your GradCafé profile? How did you react to that?! Oh my god, I hope I haven't said anything incriminating!"

Errr, anyway, fingers crossed for you!

Are you from Hawaii? My avatar is a bit deceptive, as I am from Hawaii but defected when I graduated from high school.

I completed my bachelors at UH Manoa.  My friends are currently tormenting me with pictures of malasadas.

Apparently I should sleep, because for some reason I interpreted this as him literally calling you "psychdork."  I was like, "He knows about your GradCafé profile? How did you react to that?! Oh my god, I hope I haven't said anything incriminating!"

I read it this way first as well and thought, now -that's- an omen! 

Okay, so something odd.  As I told you guys I was freaking out a little because people from my program had started reporting.  Yesterday it was up to six.  I hadn't gotten an email yet.  So, I called Admissions and they said English doesn't start reporting until March or April.  I wanted to tell her "No, no. They are reporting on Gradcafe," but I refrained so I didn't sound like a complete nut.  I called the English Department and I was told, "As soon as we have a decision for you we will let you know.  We won't keep it a secret.  We will notify you."  She sounded like all the decisions were not made at all.  I am not sure what to make of this. It could be one of three things 1) The people on Gradcafe are early decisions (and they are still evaluating). 2)The people on Gradcafe are lying. 3) The people at the admissions and in the department are in cahoots and did not want to tell me all decisions have been made and they didn't want me.  I really have no idea which one it is.  But I do know that I have to stop all this obsessing, if that is even possible at this point.  To think that it could be March (I refuse to even fathom April) until I hear anything is unimaginable so I have to do my best to ween myself off of this complete and utter obsession with getting into my program. I have no idea how to reconcile the discrepancy with what I've been told and what i see on the Results page, so I am going to somehow move on with my life and whatever will be, will be.  Sounds good, now all I have to do is actually do it.

No, they didn't tell me where I am on the list. Unfortunately, there is just one spot open, and I'm worried that waiting to hear from them could interfere with me accepting the offer I already have (I'm already mentally apologizing to the people on THAT waitlist), if this one never does come through. But thank you for the kind words.  :)

I am so glad that you have an offer, that is beyond awesome!  I'm not sure if you told us that and we already celebrated, but it is certainly worth celebrating again.  I am happy for you!  Are you excited about it?  Do you want to go there?  Are they offering you the moon?  Details, we need details! :D

Eager- i think i'm going to start using the selfcontrol app to keep myself from checking the results page on my personal computer. it's okay as a distraction during work when i need to stop reading about soil cores for a while, but it really detracts from my weekend and my downtime after work. no sense in keeping myself up with anxiety over something that'll happen when it happens!

On the other hand, it does seem promising that their directing me to go through these extra steps, rather than just rejecting me based on what they've reviewed so far. If they want me to bother doing all this, maybe it means I got through at least one round of cuts? Or maybe I'm reading too much into it and it's just standard procedure. Good sign? Omen? Hallucination? Tough to say. Any thoughts?

*I guess I'm being paranoid and avoiding using any actual names. I don't know what I'm afraid will happen if they discover this post, it's hardly incriminating, except perhaps of the neuroticism the application process is cultivating.

I think that's a reasonable jump. Something that I myself would have done.

I am so glad that you have an offer, that is beyond awesome!  I'm not sure if you told us that and we already celebrated, but it is certainly worth celebrating again.  I am happy for you!  Are you excited about it?  Do you want to go there?  Are they offering you the moon?  Details, we need details! :D

Ahhhh... well, I was very excited about it at first, but now it sounds like there may be no funding, and it's an out-of-state school... so... I don't want to sound ungrateful to those still waiting for offers (or more accurately, offers!), but unless they come up with funding, I'm afraid it isn't an offer I could accept.

Haha!  He said my actual name, thankfully.  If he had called me "psychdork" I would have definitely freaked out!

And thanks!

Eager- i think i'm going to start using the selfcontrol app to keep myself from checking the results page on my personal computer. it's okay as a distraction during work when i need to stop reading about soil cores for a while, but it really detracts from my weekend and my downtime after work. no sense in keeping myself up with anxiety over something that'll happen when it happens!

You and I are soooo on the same page.  I feel completely liberated.  It's like I have a giant monkey off my back.  I am in no way putting this on anyone else - but as for me, I AM OVER IT!  Don't get me wrong, if they accepted me tomorrow I would be elated.  However, I cannot freak out about this every day, all day.  I have a really full life, with a lot of amazing things going on.  And my son is having surgery on Friday (nothing major, just a torn shoulder muscle).  So I realized that I need to go back to living my life, fully - and realize it will happen when it happens.  And if they don't accept me this time, I will reapply and take a class there while I wait, since I have determined that it will be my school!  I feel a lot of relief and a lot of peace.  I took my future school and gradcafe off of my Top Sites, so I don't see it all the time when I am paying bills or answering student emails.  It's definitely a welcome back to my life and I have a restraining order on anxiety.  Feels pretty good!  :lol:

Ahhhh... well, I was very excited about it at first, but now it sounds like there may be no funding, and it's an out-of-state school... so... I don't want to sound ungrateful to those still waiting for offers (or more accurately, offers!), but unless they come up with funding, I'm afraid it isn't an offer I could accept.

Oh, I understand completely.  It's great that you have an offer though.  I know the right program will come up for you!

Eager -- I just wanted to encourage you as you have been doing for all of us selfish needy people :)  You will find your way, even if the doors close. I'm not trying to say you won't get in to your dream school and get into your dream spot, but I do have to say the most magical paths I've been on had nothing to do with what I had actually planned!!!   I'm in a completely different place and older with a family as well.  I know how you feel because I've sunk all my dreams and plans into one place, and it really, really makes me nervous because I'm usually a plan A, B, C, D and backup E kinda person.  So be encouraged!  I just want you (as I want to also) enjoy the journey.     Goob :)
I know you were writing to Eager, but your words spoke straight to my heart! In the same boat all the way around, but grateful that I know my future is in the hands of someone greater than me! Be encouraged all!

I know you were writing to Eager, but your words spoke straight to my heart! In the same boat all the way around, but grateful that I know my future is in the hands of someone greater than me! Be encouraged all!

Okay, now this just brought tears to my eyes.  I feel EXACTLY the same way.  I know my future is in the hands of someone greater.  I've also come to realize that getting into this program does not validate me.  I am already validated, loved and appreciated.  I had an epiphany and now feel free.  I can get the news, whenever it comes, and I will be fine with it.  Maybe it's not all about the destination, but it's more about the journey.  I'm better for having gone through this journey, and I'm blessed to continue through it with my grad family. MUCH LOVE TO ALL OF YOU!

I understand. I lost someone in my extended family today. Really puts things in perspective. :(

My heart hurts for you.  I am so sorry.  Take time to grieve, be there for your family - and be good to yourself.  You deserve it!