Good Sign, Omen or Hallucination - All Are Welcome!

Eager

I was in the car yesterday when one of my favorite songs from about ten years ago came on the radio. I began to remember all my angst from ten years ago and realized that it had all been resolved. That I was happy now, and none of it mattered. I took that to mean that ten years from now I'll feel the same way about my current angst (grad school admissions :P ). It calmed me down a bit. I know it's silly but this is the Good Omens thread, right?! :D

I just posted this in the "Losing My Damn Mind" thread, but I will repost it here: Just found out my wife's step brother got into UCLA Law School, this is NOT helping my situation!!! Happy for him, but dangit!

Is this a Good sign or Omen??? 

A sign that good things are coming for your family (that obviously includes you)!

I was in the car yesterday when one of my favorite songs from about ten years ago came on the radio. I began to remember all my angst from ten years ago and realized that it had all been resolved. That I was happy now, and none of it mattered. I took that to mean that ten years from now I'll feel the same way about my current angst (grad school admissions :P ). It calmed me down a bit. I know it's silly but this is the Good Omens thread, right?! :D

Indeed, this is a good omen. When I think about my angst from ten years ago, it all seems completely irrelevant these days. So glad those days are over!!! I'm happy for the future!

A sign that good things are coming for your family (that obviously includes you)!

Thanks! I keep dreaming about the day that an email/phone call/letter comes my way, telling me that I'm accepted!! I can't wait to hear the good news!!  :D

Let me tell you what I consider to be an amazing sign and Omen (a double whammie) and oddly enough it has nothing to do with my program.  I have been saying to my husband (we just celebrated 18 year of marriage last month) that "this is our time!"  [...]

It seemed impossible.  I mean impossible.  But all of a sudden, one by one, we have been getting little blessings dropped in our lap.  Unexpected blessings, and it looks like we might actually make it.  Now everything isn't paid for, but I just heard about another unexpected blessing the other day.  I looked at him and said again, "Baby, this is our time!"  After so many years of struggle, I really believe that.  And I know that those unexpected blessings won't just end at our house but it will sweep me right into the program I belong in.  This is my hope....my prayer for everyone that comes in contact with this topic.  It's not an accident.  This is our time!  Unexpected blessing are on the way....and not just with acceptance letters, that too, but think bigger than that...Something good is getting ready to happen!

First, congratulations on the house; this sounds great! This is a wonderful way to look at things. Thank you for all your encouraging and optimistic words! It is so easy to get caught up in anxieties and uncertainties, we forget that you could look at things differently too. So thanks for the reminder!

I think that this is exactly our problem - we forget about the big picture. We forget that we all had rough times in the past and somehow we got through those too. To me, February feels like it has a million days which is absolutely ridiculous. It IS the shortest month of the year, it will be over in no time. So being able to see the big picture, put things into perspective, is a great omen!

Love this thread! I interviewed with a POI and got an email from another professor in the same program requesting an interview as well (he knows I already spoke to the other prof). Part of me worries that the first POI I spoke to decided he wasn't interested, but the email said that my application generated interest from several faculty in the program. I'm gonna take this as a good sign!

I just posted this in the "Losing My Damn Mind" thread, but I will repost it here: Just found out my wife's step brother got into UCLA Law School, this is NOT helping my situation!!! Happy for him, but dangit!

Is this a Good sign or Omen??? 

First, Welcome!  Secondly, if that is one of your programs then it is good to know that they are finally reporting so that you know you will hear something soon.  On this topic we usually say good signs are when the program shows interest (in any way) towards us.  Omens are mystical.  So while someone else getting in may not fall into any of those categories traditionally, it let's you know the line is moving, and if the line is moving that means soon it has to be your turn, there or somewhere that's right for you!

Edited by Eager

Welcome!  I say it's an Omen, definitely!  Things are coming into perspective - and you are preparing for the fact that your life is about to change.  I'm excited for you!

Edited by Eager

First, congratulations on the house; this sounds great! This is a wonderful way to look at things. Thank you for all your encouraging and optimistic words! It is so easy to get caught up in anxieties and uncertainties, we forget that you could look at things differently too. So thanks for the reminder!

I think that this is exactly our problem - we forget about the big picture. We forget that we all had rough times in the past and somehow we got through those too. To me, February feels like it has a million days which is absolutely ridiculous. It IS the shortest month of the year, it will be over in no time. So being able to see the big picture, put things into perspective, is a great omen!

Thank you so much for your encouraging words!  Yes, that is exactly it, "the big picture".  If we think that this time in our lives is only about an acceptance letter than we are missing the point.  I was so disturbed to see on the other portion of this forum, people talking about hating their programs and wanting to quit.  These are the same people that were once on topics like these, saying they would do anything to get accepted.  It's not just about getting in.  We have to ask ourselves are we mentally, physically, and spiritually ready for what is about to happen?  And if we are not- we need to get ready!  When we graduate to the "other side" of these forums, yes we will talk about frustrations, but that's different than wanting to quit as soon as we get in!  Let's spend time not just longing for acceptances, but preparing every aspect of our lives so that we will be ready when they come!

Love this thread! I interviewed with a POI and got an email from another professor in the same program requesting an interview as well (he knows I already spoke to the other prof). Part of me worries that the first POI I spoke to decided he wasn't interested, but the email said that my application generated interest from several faculty in the program. I'm gonna take this as a good sign!

First, Welcome!!!  Secondly, Wowzer!  Two interviews?  That is so cool.  I love that your application "generated interest in the department"  Good Lord what I wouldn't do for someone to tell me that.  Of course it's a good sign!  What do you want - chocolate and flowers from the chair? :P  Sounds like you are on your way!  Keep us posted, sounds like they will be sending a Limo to pick you up any day now!!! :D  

Thank you so much for your encouraging words!  Yes, that is exactly it, "the big picture".  If we think that this time in our lives is only about an acceptance letter than we are missing the point.  I was so disturbed to see on the other portion of this forum, people talking about hating their programs and wanting to quit.  These are the same people that were once on topics like these, saying they would do anything to get accepted.  It's not just about getting in.  We have to ask ourselves are we mentally, physically, and spiritually ready for what is about to happen?  And if we are not- we need to get ready!  When we graduate to the "other side" of these forums, yes we will talk about frustrations, but that's different than wanting to quit as soon as we get in!  Let's spend time not just longing for acceptances, but preparing every aspect of our lives so that we will be ready when they come!

That is very true. It's so hard for us (well, me) to look beyond the next month because all of our thoughts are consumed by the idea of getting accepted/not accepted. But yes, there's a reason we applied in the first place and we should stick with it and focus on that.

So I go to teach my class tonight and stopped in the lab prep room for materials. Among other things, I needed triple beam balances. Right in front of me were some double beams I never saw before: Harvard Trip Balance. I'm thinking its a sign.

Okay, confession time. Sometimes I go to the Results page and look at all the good ones (Congrats person who got into Harvard CompSci! You must be over the moon right now!) and think about how maybe sometime soon that will be me. It's a rather uplifting exercise and distracts me from the negative thoughts and worrying that are probably giving me an ulcer.

If we think that this time in our lives is only about an acceptance letter than we are missing the point.  I was so disturbed to see on the other portion of this forum, people talking about hating their programs and wanting to quit.  These are the same people that were once on topics like these, saying they would do anything to get accepted.  It's not just about getting in.  We have to ask ourselves are we mentally, physically, and spiritually ready for what is about to happen?  And if we are not- we need to get ready!

you are full of so many awesome nuggets of wisdom and truthiness!

sending general love and positive vibes to all you folks out there. today was a tough day for me at work and personally, and even though grad school things are usually a stressor for me, all of the positive posts on here put a smile on my face when i need it the most. thanks guys!

I was supposed to hear by "the end of [this] week" according to my interviewers. I have received no e-mails or mail. My interview went really quite well (like, at the time I was confident enough to say it was unofficially a done deal) but now I'm going crazy and thinking that maybe I misinterpreted the whole thing, like the whole interview was a stress/fever induced hallucination. For example, when the Professor said X her really meant Y and I am a delusional idiot. This is not doing good things for my blood pressure or self-esteem. This is me everytime I open my e-mail (which is every 10 minutes) and there are only tumbleweeds running through my inbox:

tumblr_inline_mhkieu10aN1qz4rgp.gif

I was supposed to hear by "the end of [this] week" according to my interviewers. I have received no e-mails or mail. My interview went really quite well (like, at the time I was confident enough to say it was unofficially a done deal) but now I'm going crazy and thinking that maybe I misinterpreted the whole thing, like the whole interview was a stress/fever induced hallucination. For example, when the Professor said X her really meant Y and I am a delusional idiot. This is not doing good things for my blood pressure or self-esteem. This is me everytime I open my e-mail (which is every 10 minutes) and there are only tumbleweeds running through my inbox:

Luckily the week is not over! I've been seeing acceptances cropping up on Saturdays too, so I wouldn't lose hope yet. :)

So frustrating! I had a school tell me I'd hear back within two weeks after an interview, and I think it probably ended up being a month instead. It's not necessarily a bad sign ... just means they're up to their eyeballs in work and applications!

Well, my Good Omen turned out to be true!

Back story on this, my boyfriend is a big fan of Jason Segel, and often jokingly compares us as couple to Lily and Marshall on How I Met Your Mother.  Then, he watched The Five Year Engagement, in which (spoilers!) Jason Segel follows fiance Emily Blunt to University of Michigan for her post doc, only to be miserable and unfulfilled in Ann Arbor.  After difficulties lasting 5 years/the length of the movie, depending on your perspective, he gets a food truck and happily ever after commences. So after watching this, the boyfriend texts to say "Problem solved! If you get into UMichigan I don't need to find a job there, I'm getting a food truck."
The omen was that that VERY day, I had watched a show in which a character gets a food truck.  Now, my boyfriend and this character share a key characteristic, which I won't mention in case someone reading this recognizes us (I'm an archaeologist + description of my boyfriend = not that many people to choose from).  So ANYHOW, I was like YES it's a sign, us in Ann Arbor was meant to be.  Only, let's find you something to do other than a food truck.  It's just a plot device here.

ANYHOW this has been the running joke for weeks until FINALLY, today I got in to University of Michigan!

TL;DR - YOU GUYS, ALL THESE SIGNS WE HAVE BEEN SEEING EVERYWHERE ARE TOTALLY REAL.

Thanks iphi, I certainly won't! And lulubelle, I'm dreading that I will have to wait another week or so, normally not this impatient but future riding on this etc. Hope it's coming tomorrow, will post if it does!

Congratulations mochicologa!!! That's awesome and the signs are crazy!! if you believe that sort of thing (which, at times like these, I totally do, lol!)

So for the past month I've managed to just lurk around compulsively checking the results page and reading absolutely everything that could give me clues about the programs I applied to or that made me feel better about the fact that I hadn't heard a peep from any schools. I actually just got my first interview invite two days ago! And yesterday I heard another program had finished sending out invites, and I didn't get one, so I guess that'd be a rejection. But still nothing from my top two choices. Just now I got an email from the office of financial aid for University of Washington (Seattle), one of my top two! The subject line was "Acknowledgment - Application received", which doesn't sound all too encouraging... but I have to wonder... if it was something every applicant got, why would I be getting it now, 2 months after the application was due AND right around the time the website says interview invites are usually sent out? I had already gotten the general application confirmation right after I turned it in... something from financial aid must mean I've at least past some kind of hurdle... right? Right??

Hey guys! I'm a newbie on here, however, losing my mind in February...to say the least. Reading some of these forums has made me feel less crazy and alone. Who knew! 

I have double-triple checked everything. Last week the director of one of the programs emailed me to "notify" me they would start reviewing applications soon. Good sign? SOP? Sigh. 

I'm running through e-mails and conversations with another school, which I visited and they seemed to really like me...but alas...imposter syndrome prevails. 

I just want to open my inbox and see "Congratulations!...." - sooner rather than later. 

I am searching for a picture in Google to replace my current facebook cover using "hope" as my search term. Scrolling down I find a picture saying "Michigan News" when I have an interview in a few hours with a POI from UMich. Good sign, omen or hallucination?

Okay, confession time. Sometimes I go to the Results page and look at all the good ones (Congrats person who got into Harvard CompSci! You must be over the moon right now!) and think about how maybe sometime soon that will be me. It's a rather uplifting exercise and distracts me from the negative thoughts and worrying that are probably giving me an ulcer.

I do the same thing!  I actually feel bad for those that didn't get in and I feel elated for those that did.  I can imagine posting there myself soon with good news.  I am always so proud of the people who don't get it but who congratulate those that did!  That takes a lot.  I have to admit though, I can't imagine waiting this long only to post bad news.  That I don't think I can do.

you are full of so many awesome nuggets of wisdom and truthiness!

sending general love and positive vibes to all you folks out there. today was a tough day for me at work and personally, and even though grad school things are usually a stressor for me, all of the positive posts on here put a smile on my face when i need it the most. thanks guys!

That is so sweet of you to say.  You are so right.  When things get tough (and boy do they get tough) it's cool to come here and see what my grad family has to say.  It definitely makes my heart smile.

Thanks iphi, I certainly won't! And lulubelle, I'm dreading that I will have to wait another week or so, normally not this impatient but future riding on this etc. Hope it's coming tomorrow, will post if it does!

Congratulations mochicologa!!! That's awesome and the signs are crazy!! if you believe that sort of thing (which, at times like these, I totally do, lol!)

42ed, I agree with what has been said.  I think February is a hard month for us all, but if you feel like you had a great interview, then you had a great interview, don't doubt it.  Having an interview is an accomplishment in and of itself.  We are rooting for you.  Let us know when you get good news, wherever it comes from.  

And congrats, congrats, congrats to mochi!  That is so cool!  we are all so happy for you!  I wish I new how to post videos like everyone else.  I saw a snoopy on one of the forums doing a happy dance.  Just picture it in this post!  I'm doing a happy dance for you!  Woo Hooo!

So for the past month I've managed to just lurk around compulsively checking the results page and reading absolutely everything that could give me clues about the programs I applied to or that made me feel better about the fact that I hadn't heard a peep from any schools. I actually just got my first interview invite two days ago! And yesterday I heard another program had finished sending out invites, and I didn't get one, so I guess that'd be a rejection. But still nothing from my top two choices. Just now I got an email from the office of financial aid for University of Washington (Seattle), one of my top two! The subject line was "Acknowledgment - Application received", which doesn't sound all too encouraging... but I have to wonder... if it was something every applicant got, why would I be getting it now, 2 months after the application was due AND right around the time the website says interview invites are usually sent out? I had already gotten the general application confirmation right after I turned it in... something from financial aid must mean I've at least past some kind of hurdle... right? Right??

I would be cautiously optimistic if I were you.  Getting something from financial aid, after already receiving an email confirming that your app was received, sounds like a good sign.  You know, let's be really crazy and throw caution to the wind!  I officially declare this a good sign and I'm going to give you my Woo Hoo!  Once you get a Woo Hoo then you are on your way.  Keep us posted!